Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening Second Crop of Beets??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wondering who has planted a fall crop of beets in the garden. I have never done it but it seems like it would be a perfect vegetable for a late summer planting for a fall harvest. Has anyone done this?

primitive
    Participant
    Up
    Down

When ever we have a space open up, ( radish, early peas etc.) we sow beets so probably Labor day would be a good time to plant beet seeds. Give seed bed good watering, spacing, should get good early fall harvest.

primitive

jnrbronc
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We tried to find beet seeds Monday evening after work. Most stores had returned their seed inventory for credit or didn’t have any beets. We did buy a packet of turnips. Probably doesn’t matter as the deer have been pounding our beets already, pulling them up as they eat the tops off, then taking a bite of the bulb. Most likely they will just move to the turnips next. 😐

Mr.Seaguar
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Think of them poor deer eating beets and turnips. No wonder they run in front of cars so often.

IaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: jnrbronc

We tried to find beet seeds Monday evening after work. Most stores had returned their seed inventory for credit or didn’t have any beets. We did buy a packet of turnips. Probably doesn’t matter as the deer have been pounding our beets already, pulling them up as they eat the tops off, then taking a bite of the bulb. Most likely they will just move to the turnips next. 😐

Exactly….. We always have to cover our rows of beets with some kind of fence or chicken wire, that is why we only plant them once every few years. (usually when I want to make beet pickles…… I love those things).

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for the suggestions. I love beets and will plan on a second crop later this summer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.