Home Forums Hunting Waterfowling season dates NRC meeting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Thursday at the NRC meeting I presented WAI and H4I’s alternate season dates proposal (See Below) and the NRC did amend the notice of intended action (NOIA) by changing the north zone season dates to match the proposal.

Unfortunately because of how public comment is handled (and has to be handled to maintain order, I’m not blaming anyone) I could not discuss with them the interconnectedness of the seasons and how unpopular having matching north and south zone season dates proved to be last year.

So the good news is that they DID make some change we just need to continue to stress how the season dates work together as a package and why south zone dates should also be changed.

The discussion by the NRC was a bit helter skelter because few of them are familiar with how the season dates work so I don’t know exactly what north zone goose season dates ended up on the NOIA but I know the north zone second segment duck and goose opener was changes to Oct 17. What I’m less clear on is whether the shift in the second goose split from the week of Christmas (Dec 21-26) to the week before (Dec 15-19) made it in.

This is what the NOIA currently says to the best of my knowledge:

North Zone: South Zone:

Sept 19-23 Sept 19-23
    Oct 17-Dec 10 Oct 17-Dec 10

Geese

Statewide: September 26-October 4

North Zone:
    Oct. 17-Dec. 14, Dec. 20- Jan 10

South Zone:
    Oct. 17- Dec. 20, Dec. 26-Jan. 10

Youth Waterfowl season Statewide: Oct 3-4

Goose zone Boundary Hwy 30

Keep in mind that nothing is final and is subject to change until the August NRC meeting so keep up the contacts with the NRC members, especially you south zone hunters!

————–
    WAI’s proposed dates:
    The Waterfowl Association of Iowa, Inc. in conjunction with Hunters 4 Iowa, Inc. Have developed an alternate set of waterfowl season dates based both on member input and years of working with IDNR on season dates. Our proposal is as follows:

Ducks:

Sept 19-23 Sept 19-21
    Oct 17-Dec 10 Oct 24-Dec 19

Geese

North Zone:
    October 17- approximately Jan 10-17 split either in Nov or Dec but to be open during both the Thanksgiving and Christmas/New year time frames.
    Example: Oct. 17-Dec. 14, Dec. 20- Jan 10

South Zone:
    October 24– through approximately Jan 17-24 split either in Nov or Dec but to be open during both the Thanksgiving and Christmas/New year time frames.
    Example Oct. 24- Dec. 14, Dec. 20-Jan. 17

Youth Waterfowl season Statewide: Oct 3-4

The Goose Zone line should remain Highway 20.

————————–

IDNR’s original proposed dates:

IDNR’s proposed waterfowl season dates for the ’09-’10 season:

Ducks:

Sept 19-23 Sept 19-23
    Oct 10-Dec 3 Oct 17-Dec 10

Geese

North Zone:
    October 10- Dec 20, Dec 26- Jan 3

South Zone:
    October 17-Dec 20, Dec 26-Jan 10
    ——–
    Youth Waterfowl season Oct 3-4

IDNR has also proposed moving the goose zone line to match the duck zone line. (HWY 30)

vanderwell07
    Participant
    Up
    Down

im sick of all this break lines. open the stinkn thing for ducks the 2nd weekend of October til the end of December. and for canada goose go from the 2nd weekend of October as well, but all the way until Febuary.. thats what i think. or let the limit of Canadas be more than just 2.

Killer Miller
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I like the WAI’s proposed dates the best by far. Start the seasons slightly later than usual and let us get on the late-season mallard shoots. True duck hunters like shooting green more than anything else IMO.

zman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Beings i hunt the northern half of the state i like the DNR’s proposed duck dates…the waters that i mainly hunt are usually froze up around thanksgiving or just a tad later so i would like to see it start earlier.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Killer+Miller

I like the WAI’s proposed dates the best by far. Start the seasons slightly later than usual and let us get on the late-season mallard shoots. True duck hunters like shooting green more than anything else IMO.

x2

Otter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I like Late…… Usually don’t start until mid-November

KidIcarus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I like the WAI’s dates, but I don’t like having a shorter early season for the South zone.

I was always a supporter of later duck seasons, until this year, wasn’t a duck to be found by the last week, at least where I’m at.

Jeremy Rosonke
    Participant
    Up
    Down

but I don’t like having a shorter early season for the South zone.

Interesting, you’re the first one I’ve heard that from.

Are Tuesday and Wednesday of early season days you hunt and have success??

Killer Miller
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: KidIcarus

I was always a supporter of later duck seasons, until this year, wasn’t a duck to be found by the last week, at least where I’m at.

No offense, but there were plenty of mallards in central Iowa during the last week of duck season. Plus, this fall was a fluke….it got real cold several weeks earlier than most years. I know I was killing mallards the last few weeks of season and I know many other groups of guys that were slaying them as well. Cornfields are where the action is later in the season when it cools down and the birds have to take in lots of food/calories each day. Yeah water can be good too, but later in the season the birds concentrate themselves and they are usually roosting on un-huntable water…..refuges or Bob the farmer’s big farm pond that NOBODY can hunt. Just my 2 pennies.

cbducks
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In my opinion the later the better for ducks. We don’t typically see ducks until Halloween anyway, but lately they stick around through the winter. Just about time we have to pack up is when the hunting is the best and you can find ducks, just look for field tile ditches where the water runs warm all winter or rivers. As for geese, in my neck of the woods the population looks just fine, maybe they can think of raising the bag limits.

KidIcarus
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Jeremy+Rosonke

but I don’t like having a shorter early season for the South zone.

Interesting, you’re the first one I’ve heard that from.

Are Tuesday and Wednesday of early season days you hunt and have success??

I always hunt the Tuesday and Wednesday and have a great time especially because there aren’t as many other hunters as there are on the weekend, though this year was the exception. Had a terrible time at my usual spots and the majority of birds had passed us by, or not shown up yet. I love the BWT hunts and feasts, please don’t take that away!

No offense, but there were plenty of mallards in central Iowa during the last week of duck season. Plus, this fall was a fluke….it got real cold several weeks earlier than most years. I know I was killing mallards the last few weeks of season and I know many other groups of guys that were slaying them as well. Cornfields are where the action is later in the season when it cools down and the birds have to take in lots of food/calories each day. Yeah water can be good too, but later in the season the birds concentrate themselves and they are usually roosting on un-huntable water…..refuges or Bob the farmer’s big farm pond that NOBODY can hunt. Just my 2 pennies.

No offense taken, I have spent a few years figuring out where to hunt the birds and this year the water was too low for me to get where I wanted and I didn’t have time to do extra scouting and the birds defo were not in the spots I tried. I guess I should have phrased that different, I would rather have the seasons later than earlier. But then every year is different and you may have a real down year if the winter hits hard early.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think that the past few years has been just fine. The weather changes every year and messes it up. Keep it the way it is and hunt the season dates. There are always going to be exceptions one way or the other. Some years it ices up early and everyone moves through with 2 weeks left in the season. Other years the ducks have hardly shown up by the end of the season.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.