Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting SCREWED OVER ON A 140 INCH BUCK!!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Yesterday my buddy and i decided to spend the last hour of the season on a spot we have seen bucks. this spot we have permission for a couple draws and mainly fields plus a pasture. it has timber in the middle and fields on the other side. we can hunt both sides but not the timber. the guy that owns some of the timber doesnt farm.

my buddy set up in the pasture and i sat in a fence row overlooking a bean field. there is a house on the timber part and i made sure i was past 200 yards from that house. i was about 300 yards. at about 504 i have 5 bucks working there way towards me. im trying to find the big one in the binos but couldnt get a good look. mainly cause i left tall grass around my set up to conceal me. the big one finally lifts his head and thats the one i want. its about an 140 inch 10 point. i range it and he is 160 yards from me. my heart is starting to beat out of my chest by now. i put the cross hairs on his vitals and about to squeeze the trigger. then one of the little bucks steps in front of the big boy. so i say thats fine i still have time and now i can caim myself down. not to mention they should come closer with plenty of time left. all im thinking is im going to pull this off. then about a minute later i hear the roar of a UTV heading down the lane. of the course the deer run off and im thinking wtf!!! this happens at about 515. there was another guy calling coyotes on the other side of the timber. they guy on utv is going over there to screw that guys hunt too. im sitting there steaming mad and trying to let it go. this guy is known for this kind of crap. then he drives down through his timber right to the fence line near my buddy. by this time im thinking you got to be kidding. theres still shooting light left and he walks to the fence and starts yelling at me for hunting.

i jump up and yell back. lots of cussing going back and forth. we dont think he expected someone to bark back. he whining saying we are hunting in his back yard and how people shoot into his timber. this guy thinks he owns the whole section and he also thinks he owns those deer!!! i inform him he interferred with our hunt and we are hunting legally and what he did was illegal and that he has done this several times to us and other guys that help the farmers out by shooting a few deer. this whole thing must of went on for at least 20 minutes or more. he like you guys are shooting my deer and i went off saying they belong to the state of iowa!!!! i had the biggest buck of my life in the crosshairs and you f&%$& me!!! i cant put the words on here that were said back and forth.

we start to cool down and i think he realizes he was wrong. he starts saying stuff like just let me know next time you are here and it wont happen. part of says the hell with that we are not hunting his land. he even apologizes for screwing me over. so we meet face to face and both apologize. i shouldnt of had to but i felt better since i was rude. i really let my emotions get the best of me and he did have it coming. he says next he will give me his cell number and let him know im hunting there. my buddy says screw that and i kinda do too. but im also willing to give it go and see what happens. im still pissed about not at least getting a shot off and wish i would got in a rush. thats how my late muzzy season ended!!!!!

TysonT
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Man, that sux dude. But maybe let cooler heads prevail, call him next time and see what happens. If he’s civil about it, be friendly right back, maybe take him some deer sticks, steaks, or jerkey after the season (next year). It might gain you access to his land too. Ya, never know.

tim ballard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TysonT

Man, that sux dude. But maybe let cooler heads prevail, call him next time and see what happens. If he’s civil about it, be friendly right back, maybe take him some deer sticks, steaks, or jerkey after the season (next year). It might gain you access to his land too. Ya, never know.

i did mean to put cooler heads prevail on my post. lol. we did end up shaking hands and shooting the crap. my buddy wants nothing to do with calling him. my buddy is really stubborn and cant stand this guy.

redingdl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Some people just need to know that you have a set of balls and will stand up to them. Once they realize you won’t be run over, they will respect you. He sounds like that kind of guy. I feel for you missing your chance at your best buck ever.

TysonT
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Well you and your buddy are not attached at the hip either. Do your own thing and see where it gets you. Your friend isn’t going to abandon you over this, but you could gain a lot more if you can get onto the other property.

Davenport Nate
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hard to control emotions in that situation. I think you should still call the conservation officer and let him cite the guy for interfering in a hunt. That kind of stuff is just inexcusable.

pheasant1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This dude ain’t gonna let you hunt giving him deer sticks. You already stuck your neck out, don’t let him chop it off. If I called him it would be 5min before I got there to hunt otherwise he’s going to screw you over. You were legal and he can’t set a time table when you can hunt. The call is a curtesy, I would do that.

tim ballard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Davenport+Nate

Hard to control emotions in that situation. I think you should still call the conservation officer and let him cite the guy for interfering in a hunt. That kind of stuff is just inexcusable.

oh i agree with you 200 percent!!!!!!!! the farmer doesnt want us to call the DNR. since he has to live next door and we have to respect what he wants. the farmer was going to call him and talk to him today.

this guy claims to be a hunter but if he truely was a hunter he wouldnt screw others over.

tyson, i do plan on getting his cell and see if he is true to his word next year.

tim ballard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: pheasant1

This dude ain’t gonna let you hunt giving him deer sticks. You already stuck your neck out, don’t let him chop it off. If I called him it would be 5min before I got there to hunt otherwise he’s going to screw you over. You were legal and he can’t set a time table when you can hunt. The call is a curtesy, I would do that.

thats what i plan on doing and if he does it again the DNR will be called.

bigreene
    Participant
    Up
    Down

as long as hes on his land he can do whatever he wants and nothing can be done about it. the only thing you can do is dont hunt so close to his place if you dont like it. he bought that land and pays the taxes its his right to do what he wants. until he crosses the property line hes legal. get him to cross and get proof and youve got the guy then. i wouldnt call him to go hunt on the land you can hunt thats none of his business but the same goes for you when hes making all sorts of noise its part of the game

tim ballard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bigreene

as long as hes on his land he can do whatever he wants and nothing can be done about it. the only thing you can do is dont hunt so close to his place if you dont like it. he bought that land and pays the taxes its his right to do what he wants. until he crosses the property line hes legal. get him to cross and get proof and youve got the guy then. i wouldnt call him to go hunt on the land you can hunt thats none of his business but the same goes for you when hes making all sorts of noise its part of the game

i totallly disagree with you on this. yes its his land but when he does this with 20 minutes of shooting light and driving around the perimeter of his property he is blatantly trying screw things up!!!!!

pheasant1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Bigreene, you need to read the LAWS on hunter harassment! YOU couldn’t be more wrong! His land or not, he CANNOT knowingly disrupt a hunt and since he already admitted to hit, he is dead to rights. Know your regs before spouting off!

Reinbeck11
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This has been discussed multiple times. It is illegal to puposely interfere with a hunt under any circumstances. Read the regs before you make uniformed statements. It will take very little research its in the basic regulation handout from the DNR so obviously you have never read them and yet you feel willing and knowledgeable enough to just blurt out statements, in your 6th post no less, w/o any basic knowledge.

bigreene
    Participant
    Up
    Down

i wouldnt like it myself but its his place. go buy your own place and then you wont have to worry. im an outfitter and i hate people like that they cause me so much hassle and they do it cause they dont want me to make money off land they think they can hunt because they hunted it years ago and so on. its hunting plus a 140 he will be better next year. id kill him and take him to the guys front door. i even had a guy fire four shots in the direction of one of my hunters just because he saw his truck and i have the whole section

bigreene
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Reinbeck11

This has been discussed multiple times. It is illegal to puposely interfere with a hunt under any circumstances. Read the regs before you make uniformed statements. It will take very little research its in the basic regulation handout from the DNR so obviously you have never read them and yet you feel willing and knowledgeable enough to just blurt out statements, in your 6th post no less, w/o any basic knowledge.

im studying to be a conservation officer maybe ill have to teach you about it. the guy can sing and dance all over his land dont hunt the line if you dont like it. i have ten thousand acres and i deal with this stuff every single day

TysonT
    Participant
    Up
    Down

im studying to be a conservation officer maybe ill have to teach you about it. the guy can sing and dance all over his land dont hunt the line if you dont like it. i have ten thousand acres and i deal with this stuff every single day

And you’re still wrong. Keep reading. 😉 And to top it off you’re an Outfitter and studying to be a conservation officer?!?! Like robbing Peter to pay Paul, right? How old are you?

bigreene
    Participant
    Up
    Down

im studying to be a conservation officer maybe ill have to teach you about it. the guy can sing and dance all over his land dont hunt the line if you dont like it. i have ten thousand acres and i deal with things stuff every single day

a judge will always side with the landowner. whats they guy gonna sit in his house all season so people can hunt. you have to have proof. or get him to admit it to an officer.

Reinbeck11
    Participant
    Up
    Down

What part have you studied. Obviously not hunting regulations. It is illegal to puposely interfere with a legal hunt under any circumstances. If you cannot understand the basics of the law please reconsider your potential profession. 🙄

pheasant1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I could care less what your studying! If you don’t turn in idiots who are doing this to your business AND are ILLEGAL you are part of the problem. PLEASE DON’T be a conservation officer in Iowa! I don’t want my tax dollars wasted with your UNknowlege!

Reinbeck11
    Participant
    Up
    Down

im studying to be a conservation officer maybe ill have to teach you about it. the guy can sing and dance all over his land dont hunt the line if you dont like it. i have ten thousand acres and i deal with things stuff every single day

a judge will always side with the landowner. whats they guy gonna sit in his house all season so people can hunt. you have to have proof. or get him to admit it to an officer.

Most Judges will decide a case based on the law.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.