Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Scheels Rods

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: scherrman

Quote by: Maverick

Maybe it’s just me, but when the return policy is the main selling point of the rod, it doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in me to the overall quality of the product.

I’ve heard good things about the quality as well. I don’t care how great a rod is, it can still break and I want to make sure I can get it replaced for free. I don’t want to spend another $50 to send it back since that’s the price of rods I buy now. I don’t want to spend $200 on a rod unless I know I can get it replaced if something happens. I want something that is high quality and sensitive and has a great warranty. Plus, I can drive to Scheels to take care of it.

When I don’t care about warranty I just buy $50-$60 rods online knowing if they break that will be the end of it.

If you drive your $50k truck into a tree do you expect them to warranty it? Why does everyone think rods or other gear is different. That’s why they quit carrying waders. Every jackwagon tried to return them under warranty for something that should never have been warrantied in the first place.

Scheels rods are okay for the price. I have two tournament grade spinning rods, a pro grade casting, and a EBISU casting rod.

Just an FYI they no longer have a no questions asked warranty. Ask the fishing manager and he will specifically state that they warrenty manufactured defects not abuse. With that said the last rod I returned (Oct 2016) they exchanged no questions asked, but it was a new EBISU that was only a month or so old and was a manufactured defect. (the 2nd guide pulled loose on the first decent fish I set a hook on)

Bottom line they make decent rods for the price, but I wouldn’t buy them specifically for the warranty. I still prefer my St. Croix, and Fenwick rods though.

Participant
    Participant

Quote by: trout+killer

Maybe it’s just me, but when the return policy is the main selling point of the rod, it doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in me to the overall quality of the product.

I’ve heard good things about the quality as well. I don’t care how great a rod is, it can still break and I want to make sure I can get it replaced for free. I don’t want to spend another $50 to send it back since that’s the price of rods I buy now. I don’t want to spend $200 on a rod unless I know I can get it replaced if something happens. I want something that is high quality and sensitive and has a great warranty. Plus, I can drive to Scheels to take care of it.

When I don’t care about warranty I just buy $50-$60 rods online knowing if they break that will be the end of it.

If you drive your $50k truck into a tree do you expect them to warranty it? Why does everyone think rods or other gear is different. That’s why they quit carrying waders. Every jackwagon tried to return them under warranty for something that should never have been warrantied in the first place.

Scheels rods are okay for the price. I have two tournament grade spinning rods, a pro grade casting, and a EBISU casting rod.

Just an FYI they no longer have a no questions asked warranty. Ask the fishing manager and he will specifically state that they warrenty manufactured defects not abuse. With that said the last rod I returned (Oct 2016) they exchanged no questions asked, but it was a new EBISU that was only a month or so old and was a manufactured defect. (the 2nd guide pulled loose on the first decent fish I set a hook on)

Bottom line they make decent rods for the price, but I wouldn’t buy them specifically for the warranty. I still prefer my St. Croix, and Fenwick rods though.

How do you like that EBISU rod? That one caught my eye.

Participant

I bought a Scheels proangler 7′ medium heavy rod this past summer. I too was interested in buying a rod from Scheels because of their return policy (or from what i heard, if it breaks, you return it and they exchange it no questions asked.) Love the rod. It was a little stiffer than what I wanted but just spooled up a lews baitcaster with heavy line and use it as a froggin stick. It has great durability so far for the price of the rod. I believe I got mine for $40-50. You wont be disappointed in them!

Participant

I have 7 scheels rods, a guide, a tourney, 2 NOS, a walleye series, the original ONE, and the new split grip ONE with recoil guides. I got the new ONE on an upgrade after breaking an older ONE. I have taken in 2 broken rods and both were replaced, they may ask questions depending on the store. If they ask me I tell them the replacement policy was the reason I switched from St Croix to Scheels.

IMHO, the Scheels rods are lighter and fish better than Croix rods of the same value. They definitely have a different feel but I have come to like them. I would say they have a lighter flex than most brands, a medium Scheels is closer to a medium light St Croix. I would also say that they may not be as durable as st Croix rods. Given that I have broke 2 and my brother has broke 3.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: ducksandbucks

Quote by: Trout23

Can anyone confirm they will have the return policy. I though they did away with it.

I will let you know because I am returning a rod tomorrow. $90 ultra lite bought last year. When removing the reel to put on my ice fishing rod the cork literally came off in my hand. This rod was a replacement for a rod I returned the prior year because several of the ceramic inserts broke in the eyelets. I didnt didn’t have any issue with returning that one.

I like the rods when they arent breaking. This recent rod and the cork coming off changed my thinking on the quality of their rods though

Curious how this ends up for you, I bought my son a Scheels ultra light rod for around $100 one fall. The next spring I was casting jigs for crappies with it and after a while the tip broke off 3-4 inches down. I took it back and the sales person was good about replacing it, but since they didn’t carry that specific model anymore he exchanged it for one off the rack with a $30 tag on it. It wasn’t what I expected, but I guess he did replace it.

Participant

Quote by: trout+killer

How do you like that EBISU rod? That one caught my eye.

Its an okay rod. Nothing real special but it was worth the $100. I think I got the 7’1″ med fast and have it rigged up as a spinner bait rod currently. I’ve only used it a few times the first one broke one the first day of a fishing trip and I’ve only used the second one once before hanging everything up for hunting season.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

I have a couple scheels rods. They are decent but not much better than any other box store rod. If you want an awesome great rod at a decent price, look at Fenwick. I have 2 elite tech walleye series rods that are my go to rods. They beat anything I’ve ever had in my hands from Scheels or Cabela’s.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.