Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Scary situation on Lake Erie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/07/Ohio.stuck.on.ice/index.html?eref=rss_topstorieshere

Wonder how much equipment had to be left on that ice floe???

Participant

I work with someone who would probably do this! 😀

Participant

I can’t beleive the way a sheriff would publicly blast 100 and some ice fisherman even with a death. He sounds like the idiot to me.

Participant

If I was one of those guys I would feel stupid but the sheriff didn’t sound much smarter then the people stuck on the ice. And the sheriff kept talking about how much money and the danger of all of the rescuers that were helping but that is the risk you take when you are in that line of work. Glad that more people did’t get hurt or killed.

JefroJefro
    Participant

Quote by: greenfire00

If I was one of those guys I would feel stupid but the sheriff didn’t sound much smarter then the people stuck on the ice. And the sheriff kept talking about how much money and the danger of all of the rescuers that were helping but that is the risk you take when you are in that line of work. Glad that more people did’t get hurt or killed.

Negative ghostrider. People don’t go into that line of work to rescue the negligent. Many states are starting to charge the costs of rescue operations back to those who were rescued in instances of extreme negligence. Whether in be hikers in NH, back country skiers in CO or ice fisherman in OH, if one is absurdly negligent, they should have to pay the costs involved to have their dumb hide rescued. Let it be both a deterrent as well as a budget saving measure.

It would be much easier to argue that those who ice fish, back country ski, hike in the woods, shoot rapids, hike deserts, et al, take all of the known risks of choice of hobbies every time they go out. Their fate then, is of their own doing and it is not fair to ask rescuers to come and save them from their own negligence.

Participant

Quote by: Jefro

Negative ghostrider. People don’t go into that line of work to rescue the negligent. Many states are starting to charge the costs of rescue operations back to those who were rescued in instances of extreme negligence. Whether in be hikers in NH, back country skiers in CO or ice fisherman in OH, if one is absurdly negligent, they should have to pay the costs involved to have their dumb hide rescued. Let it be both a deterrent as well as a budget saving measure.

It would be much easier to argue that those who ice fish, back country ski, hike in the woods, shoot rapids, hike deserts, et al, take all of the known risks of choice of hobbies every time they go out. Their fate then, is of their own doing and it is not fair to ask rescuers to come and save them from their own negligence.

So what you are saying is that if you know a week ahead of time that a hurricane is coming and you live below sea level????

JK

JefroJefro
    Participant

Quote by: jrocker

So what you are saying is that if you know a week ahead of time that a hurricane is coming and you live below sea level????

JK

Communities have established that living below sea level is AOK and not negligent so living there, legally speaking, I suppose is not negligent. If given appropriate warning, and one stays put and later needs to be rescued, yeah, that is negligent. It puts rescuers lives needlessly at risk, diverts rescue operations form other “legitimate” needs, and in my opinion, should be paid for by the rescuee.

A friend of mine lives in the area of this ice floe on Erie. Apparently, planks were laid down from shore to get 4-wheelers and sleds onto the ice. So basically, it was already a floe when they got on it, had strong winds from the south blowing it out onto the water and had warm temps. Strikes one, two and three.

Common sense was not too common in this case.

Participant

The fisherman were wrong and put a lot of people in danger because of their actions. The sheriff was right to say they were a bunch of idiots for being out there.

Participant

I know this is nothing to joke about and would be a vary scary situtation if it every happend but it would be a good time to do a little trolling 😀

Participant

Quote by: the_c_o

The fisherman were wrong and put a lot of people in danger because of their actions. The sheriff was right to say they were a bunch of idiots for being out there.

I’ll have to agree, they not only put themselves in danger but also put the rescue team in danger as well. They tell people every year that Erie just isn’t safe to ice fish due to the currents, but yet these guys placed wooden pallets over the 1 foot crack to find better fishing.

Participant

They should had left them out there for a day or two to think about how stupid they were, I mean who in their right mind builds a bridge out of pallets to get over a crack on the ice in that lake knowing that ice sheets constantly break off there. Leave them out there awhile and I bet they wont do it again ❗

JefroJefro
    Participant

Now the officials are saying that if the fishermen don’t get their gear off of the ice and it goes into the water, they will issue citations for pollution. That is assuming their stuff doesn’t get stolen first.

Participant

How does a Mom explain that to her kids when she says, “Daddy is in heaven, cause he tried to save a bunch of knot heads out fishing…” Oh yeah I forgot green fire, that is thier line of work. Just like all the rescuers that died in 911, or now that have shortened life spans from lung problems, they were just doing thier job too for a bunch of terrorist b.s…. but that doesn’t matter right? Cause they knew that was “the risk you take in that line of work.” That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Participant

Im certain there are bigger “bail out” issues right now. The cost of saving a bunch of ice fisherman is a pretty small drop in the bucket compared to saving a bunch of other greedy people in this country.

Participant

Now the officials are saying that if the fishermen don’t get their gear off of the ice and it goes into the water, they will issue citations for pollution. That is assuming their stuff doesn’t get stolen first.

So the sheriff wants to arrest everyone that had to be rescued, but then orders them back on to the ice? Sounds to me like they might need to use a little common sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.