Saylorville Muskies2019-03-10T21:23:27-05:00

Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Saylorville Muskies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Pretty wild start to the year, I’ve made it out twice to Saylorville for an hour before sunset (today and last Sunday) and caught a musky both times. What are the odds of that? First and only two fish, muskies?!

Did they start stocking the river there recently?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Avatar Will999.
    Participant

Did you catch them at the spillway you’re meaning? How big were they?

Participant

Word travels fast, at least 12 people fishing the spillway this morning.

Participant

Did you catch them at the spillway you’re meaning? How big were they?

Yea, not directly below, but further down. I’d guess 36 inches and maybe just over 30 inches.

https://centraliowaanglers.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,15422.0.html

Participant

Nice catch! I’ve fished there before with little luck for any species.

Participant

Nice catch! I’ve fished there before with little luck for any species.

Thanks, the musky thing is definitely strange, I’ve caught one below Red Rock, but had never got one below Saylorville in ~20 years of fishing, then caught 2 back to back. I have caught a lot of fish there over the years but it’s a challenging place to fish. Quickly goes from ridiculously shallow to a raging river. (also seems the worst conditions offer the best fishing, very early/late in the day or night, cold weather, rain/overcast, tons of wind, early spring and late fall)

I went back out last night with lure that was closer to musky sized and actually had some action. I had something hooked that was yanking out line but came off (who knows could have been a snagged carp) and I set the hook on something that broke the swivel releasing my crankbait. I also had what looked like a small northern swipe and miss in just a couple feet of water.

Was back out tonight and the fishing returned to normal, 🙂 had no bites, saw nothing, never had anything on. Back on track! (also for anyone thinking to go out, the flow is going to basically double every day, going from 980 cfs to 13,500!)

http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/shefgraph-forecast2.cfm?sid=SDTI4&fid=SDTI4&d=7&dt=S

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar Will999.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar Will999.
    Participant

So these would be DSM river muskies….NOT Saylorville muskies?!?

Participant

So these would be DSM river muskies….NOT Saylorville muskies?!?

Colloquially, I’m just used to everyone referring to the spillway area as “Saylorville”, sometimes “Saylorville Spillway”. The same is true of Red Rock, if you go to a bait-shop and they ask if you are heading down to Red Rock, the usually mean the river right below the reservoir. Then again the reservoirs are just impoundments of the river I suppose so occasionally you’ll just see those identified as “Des Moines River” also.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like the records are even denoted the same way like:

Bass (Wiper) 19-10 33.0  Saylorville Reservoir    (*Shows in record book this way but was caught out of river below the dam)

I would have guessed they were actually “Big Creek Musky” as that’s the only place I know upstream with recent stockings, but that’s why I asked

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Avatar Will999.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Avatar Will999.
    Participant

Normally muskies in high water tend to actually slide down and out of a system so they could be from the lake above where you are fishing.  More then likely it is a little bit of a mixture.  We saw that in the IGL’s this last summer with muskies actually sliding down into the river system from the lakes.

Participant

If the fish was caught in Saylorville Lake then it was…if it was caught in DSM river it was below Saylorville dam or below Redrock dam so be it…if it was caught in Redrock lake it was….same as walleye I have caught in Rathbun….in Rathbun means on the lake not in the Chariton River below the dam

Participant

I caught one last week at the spillway before the water got high. Was about 30″, thought it was just a pale pike until the reality hit us that it was in fact a Muskie. Was fat too, had been eating well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!