Home Forums Hunting Firearms Savage Model 12 COL Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Some of you might remember my post last week about which order to get my 22-250 brass prepped before the actual powder/bullet. I just finished getting 200 shiny rounds all primed and ready to work up a load. I’ve been reading up on “Where to seat my bullet in comparison to the Lands of my rifle.” I don’t have a C.O.L. gauge but saw a trick where you take a spent bullet and run up your resizing die to where it just sizes the very top of it. Next you take a marker and blacken the bullet (50 gr Hornady Vmax). Put the bullet in the case and there is some resistance there but also can slide with minimal effort. Next put the dummy load in my Savage Model 12 BTCSS with a 26″ bull barrel and closed the bolt. I gently released the bullet and measured where the bullet stopped (hit the lands). Did this 3 times and came up with 2.433…2.437…and 2.433. They say to back off (jump) the lands about .015-.020 and that will be your most accurate load thus would be around 2.415. My reloading manual said to put the C.O.L for the Hornady 50gr Vmax bullet to 2.350.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

FF

WhipWhip
    Participant

I did this with my 300 Rum and 338 RUM. If you change bullets you need to redo it. My 215 gr vs 250 gr bullets were a little different. However COL didn’t make as much difference in accuracy for my .338 but it really tightened up groups for my 300 RUM. I tried it in my 22/250 and I decided it wasn’t needed that gun shoots aany thing pretty well. Also I change bullets for prairie dogs often switching between 50 to 60 gr bullets shooting what is cheapest and just use the book COL works.

Whip

Participant

Thanks for the reply Whip.

Anybody else ever try this method?

Thanks,

FF

Participant

I haven’t tried it, but I have read about it. I just went ahead and purchased a Hornady C.O.L. gauge for this purpose as I expected I would get enough use out of it. I don’t know about your rifle specifically, but I have found that for some rifles making the C.O.L. of the bullet such that there is only a 0.015″ (or smaller) jump to the lands can make the bullet too long to fit in the magazine. So if you want to use this as a hunting load and want to be able to load more than one round at a time then your maximum C.O.L. would probably be whatever your magazine allows.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.