Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum salt water fish pictures (species 25 of 25)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Atlantic Croaker . Great job stick500.
    Here’s an easy one… very colorful (when alive) and very aggressive. Also, very yummy.

What’s this fish?

Participant

Depending on which part of the world you caught those they are called, Dolphin, Dorado, or Mahi-Mahi

On.IowaOn.Iowa
    Participant

Quote by: Maverick

Depending on which part of the world you caught those they are called, Dolphin, Dorado, or Mahi-Mahi

Yep. Nothing like watching the look of terror on a land lubber’s face when you say you’re having dolphin for dinner.

Participant

Quote by: On.Iowa

Quote by: Maverick

Yep. Nothing like watching the look of terror on a land lubber’s face when you say you’re having dolphin for dinner.

Hahahaha, I agree. When I lived in Florida I posted on facebook that I was grilling some dolphin for dinner. You should have read some of the responses from people that thought I was having BBQ’d Flipper!

Participant

yep, lots of names for that one. But only one way to describe how they taste on the grill. Mucho goodo.

This next one is not exactly a game fish. However, I have caught a few. Can you name this shark?

Participant

Hammer head

Participant

Bonnet Head

Participant

2 species of hammerhead- scallopped or great. I think its the great hammerhead.

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Teddy Roosevelt

riverriver
    Participant

Quote by: drawetsm

yep, lots of names for that one. But only one way to describe how they taste on the grill. Mucho goodo.

This next one is not exactly a game fish. However, I have caught a few. Can you name this shark?

Great thread.. and I envy you and all the awesome places you’ve fished. Thanks for getting it started.

The hammerhead pic brought back a great memory from 1992 when my 12 yr old son, older brother, and I were fishing the Chesapeake with my Uncle who lived near Exmore on the eastern shore. We really had had a great day and boated many of the fish you have already posted. Croaker, sea trout, flying fish, and flounder (our preferred quarry.. oh so good eating) among a few other species. I love the Chesapeake, James river, and the entire eastern shore environment. Where they have roadside stands that you can buy a bushel of blue crab in the same way we have here in Iowa and sweet corn.

Well this day we had plenty of fish to clean and were happy to use one of the fish cleaning stations the area is so good at providing. If anyone versed on Iowa filleting of primarily panfish and catfish like me…. comes faced with filleting what must be the slipperiest fish in the world (flounder) 🙂 You quickly ask for advice from some of the gnarly salty dogs cleaning there own fish.

Anyway, I’m getting windy. As you all know fishing stories are some of the best and there were enough for a lifetime going around the cleaning tables. But here was my favorite for the day..

I was yakking with one of those salty dogs across the table and told him about my son fighting something big and when it got near the boat we saw that it was a hammerhead that we guessed at around five feet long… It was a good fight but the fish won and either threw the hook or snapped the line, I don’t remember. But the old boy said when I told him about it.. “That’s nice.” … and I said “nooo, we wanted to catch that sucker.” To which the guy said. “no you didn’t.” and I asked him why. His reply was.. “Cause you don’t wanna be in the same boat with a pissed off hammerhead.”

Thx again,
    River

stick500stick500
    Participant

I’ve got a quick mahi mahi story for you guys

I was reeling in a nice one on the Pacific side of Mexico and when it got close to the boat the guide started going nuts and started casting out another rod

turns out the fish’s mate was closely following the one I was fighting and he wanted to get the other one, too

I have never seen a fish following a mate to the boat before and I immediately felt sorry for breaking up the pair! Luckily, for the other fish, it never bit and got away

since then I have occasionally seen carp exhibit the same behavior- whether they were mates or not I don’t know (guess I don’t for sure with the mahi mahi either)

sometimes I think they’re simply wondering what is going on with one of the fish they’re hanging out with and follow them right up to the angler

Participant

nice job maverick. that is a Bonnethead shark I caught off FL
    we lived near Salsibury on the eastern shore of Maryland. I do miss the fishing on the Chesapeake. Since blue crab was metioned heres a bonus picture of their west coast cousins. Can you name this crab species

My Nephew with his first crabbing experience

Back to the fish..heres a really fun fish to catch. Very strong fighter. found in the warm waters of the keys and Carribean.

any guesses.

Participant

definitely in the Jack family – Looks like a baby Jack Crevalle

Participant

I’ll second the Jack Crevalle. Those are some drag burning, tackle busting fish. Nothing I’ve ever encountered in fresh water even comes close to Jacks in a pound for pound fight.

Are those dungeness crabs?

Participant

Great job. Dungeness crabs and a small Jack Crevalle.

The next fish is a baby of its species that grows to a “Galiath” size and lives to be very old. This species was nearly fished to extinction by spear fisherman and hook n line and is still protected. Their appetite is as big as their bodies which makes them easily caught. I caught this little guy by accident while casting a swim tail plastic in a canal.

While reef fishing for snappers I’ve had encounters with what I think were adults of this species….it’s always hard to say what swallows your 10 lb snappers but they say it’s likely one of these guys all grown up.

What fish is this?

Participant

Goliath Grouper / Jewfish

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.