Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum salt water fish pictures (species 25 of 25)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Stripers! Looks like the one on the bottom is the hybrid.

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Teddy Roosevelt

Participant

Dangit, always late responding… I’d say stripers, second is hybrid (broken lateral stripes). She definitely outdid you there, boss. Probably not too heavy to hold, but her arms are probably half potential after fighting that brute!

Participant

Yep. Stripers, nice job. We used to catch them anywhere from less than 1fow to the deepest of channels in the Chesapeake. During late fall around November it was common that we would catch 275-300 Stripers in the course of only 2-3 hours as they would school up densely and chase the menhaden to the surface….The seagulls were always a dead giveaway … I recall hearing Stripers hit the bottom of my boat as they chased the bait fish to the surface.

This next one is a widely sought after fish often found in schools close to the seabed. Blood worms or squid strips was my go to bait.
    This is a picture of my wife.

Can you name the species

Participant

I will guess a speckled trout.

Participant

Nice job lunker. Speckle trout it is. Very similar to the Weakfish and often caught together.

This next fish is a toothy critter…very fun to sight fish for with artificial eels in shallow water….they are amazing fast and become cannibalistic at times. While I was fighting this one a larger one grabbed it and took a chunk….

What fish is this?

Participant

I’ll give it a go . . . Cuda?

Participant

Looks like a cuda to me

Participant

They taste good too.

stick500stick500
    Participant

big ‘cudas that live near reefs can have some sort of toxin that will result in anyone eating them getting extremely sick

I always let them go, but man they were one of my favorite salt water fish to catch- very aggressive!

Participant

Nice looking fish.

Participant

Cuda… Watched as one chased a big king mackerel we had on the line, stripping off almost half the reel before it went slack. Reeled in half of that mackerel. Like a pike with afterburners and bigger teeth.

Participant

Barracuda it is. I was always under the impression they can be poisonous too so never tried one.

This next picture might be a little tough to ID. This is my dad and brother with me on the Chesapeake. This is a bottom fish. We always caught them when nothing else was willing to play. Hint….they make a “croaking” sound kinda like a catfish. It was common to hook 2-3 at a time. Squid strips, blood worms, soft crab, plastics….they would eat about anything.

Any guesses ?

stick500stick500
    Participant

atlantic croaker?

the salt water version of our sheephead

both are members of the drum family

Participant

Barracuda bioaccumulate the toxins from eating reef fish. I believe that the toxin is called ciguatera. The bigger the cuda, the more toxin that has accumulated.

Participant

We caught a big one and a small one in Belize and only ate the small one. Must be why I’m still alive.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.