Rut Progress? 2018-10-31T13:34:35+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Archery Rut Progress?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just checking to see how the rut progression is coming in your neck of the woods?  I hunt western Adair county and last weekend I saw some mature bucks bumping does.  They were not aggressive in manner, just walking up to does and pushing them.  Does would run off and bucks would slowly walk up to them again.  Should start to heat up I would think in a few days.

patrickpatrick
    Keymaster

Seeing similar action in NW Iowa.  Bucks of all ages are nudging does well into the late morning hours and early evening hours. No cruising or chasing going on yet though.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Chasing, nosey, grunting, out in the middle of the day, IT’S ON!!

I drew on a really nice non-typical yesterday but he was facing me, a very risky shot, I was holding out for him to turn broadway, he looked up 🙄 and seen me, 🦌😁 busted 😔

maxx
    Participant

Could hear bucks grunting, fighting and scraping this morning. Didn’t see them within a few days the leaves will be down and we would have been able to see them.

Did have a shooter come through at 60 yards.  He didn’t want to come in.

bowhunter270bowhunter270
    Participant

This old boy was out chasing does on the 1st of Nov. He gave me a 20 yard shot only 45 minutes into the sit!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by bowhunter270 bowhunter270.
    bowhunter270bowhunter270
    Participant

This old boy was out and about on the 1st of Nov. Gave me a 20 yard broadside shot only 45 minutes into my sit! This was in Johnson County.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by bowhunter270 bowhunter270.
    twdenney
    Participant

Very nice!

CRIA1576
    Participant

Nice deer!

I was off all of last week and was in the stand every day except Thursday.  Mature bucks were chasing does in Carroll County on 10/29 and the action increased throughout the week.  As of last couple nights, the doe traffic on regular routes and food sources has decreased as bucks of all ages are chasing them all over the country side.  I also started seeing lone yearlings and fawns wandering around without their mothers, further indication that breeding has begun.

The weather is supposed to get steadily colder this week as we approach the peak of the rut, and if you can be in the stand all day you may get lucky.  I saw the two biggest bucks of the season on Saturday between 12 and 130 while sitting in the drizzle and rain.  Both had a doe with them.

Good luck guys and post your success pictures!

robert1976
    Participant

Saw a couple of bucks with does this weekend in Kossuth county. They were the local bucks I’ve been seeing all fall, haven’t seen any new bucks out wandering yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.