Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

B)
    Okay guys, Think it is time for new shingles. My shingles are curving on the roof and I had to apply master sealer around bathroom vent on roof today due to slight leak in bathroom.

My Question: Should I go with shingles (50 year) or have tin roof put on the house and garage????

Own small two bedroom home with detached garage. Just need some advice on what would be best. thanks for any input and advice on helping me spend some money. robbie

Participant

Quote by: rericsson

B)
    Okay guys, Think it is time for new shingles. My shingles are curving on the roof and I had to apply master sealer around bathroom vent on roof today due to slight leak in bathroom.

My Question: Should I go with shingles (50 year) or have tin roof put on the house and garage????

Own small two bedroom home with detached garage. Just need some advice on what would be best. thanks for any input and advice on helping me spend some money. robbie

Just sent you a PM.

Participant

A buddy of mine put a metal roof on his house and given the chance to redo it he would do shingles. He is in rural Iowa and says he has to go outside to talk on his cell now which he didnt before.

Participant

Quote by: ciahunter

A buddy of mine put a metal roof on his house and given the chance to redo it he would do shingles. He is in rural Iowa and says he has to go outside to talk on his cell now which he didnt before.

I’m not gonna say this isn’t the truth because I don’t know the guy, but it’s not the roof (unless somethings screwey). I’ve heard the same thing about satellite dishes, and don’t buy that either. I’ve put dozens and dozens of metal roofs on and 90% of the customers don’t have these problems. I also used to live in a house with a steel roof on it, had cell phones and a dish, and zero problems. Like I said, I’m not saying your buddies lying or anything like that, so don’t take offense, but if the roofs causing that, it’s a fluke, and is NOT a problem on most metal roofs.

Participant

Quote by: stitch

I’m not gonna say this isn’t the truth because I don’t know the guy, but it’s not the roof (unless somethings screwey). I’ve heard the same thing about satellite dishes, and don’t buy that either. I’ve put dozens and dozens of metal roofs on and 90% of the customers don’t have these problems. I also used to live in a house with a steel roof on it, had cell phones and a dish, and zero problems. Like I said, I’m not saying your buddies lying or anything like that, so don’t take offense, but if the roofs causing that, it’s a fluke, and is NOT a problem on most metal roofs.

The only reason I believe him is that outside his house I have 1 maybe 2 bars, inside nothing. Reception is extremely marginal to start with!

Participant

The only reason I believe him is that outside his house I have 1 maybe 2 bars, inside nothing. Reception is extremely marginal to start with!

Like I said, it could be a fluke. I just wanted to point out that this is not the case with most metal roofs. It also could be the product used, we get our steel at two different places and don’t have issues, but there are TONS of dealers out there due to increasing popularity. It could also be thicker stuff. You can get a 26 gauge that’s meant for commercial/industrial application, I wouldn’t be surprised if that stuff would cause this (normal residential steel is 28-29 gauge).

Participant

Like I said, it could be a fluke. I just wanted to point out that this is not the case with most metal roofs. It also could be the product used, we get our steel at two different places and don’t have issues, but there are TONS of dealers out there due to increasing popularity. It could also be thicker stuff. You can get a 26 gauge that’s meant for commercial/industrial application, I wouldn’t be surprised if that stuff would cause this (normal residential steel is 28-29 gauge).

He is very into specs and such I will ask him next time I talk to him, that could very easily be his issue. I know when he had it installed he was really concerned about the noise of rain or hail and he has said he hasnt noticed a change in noise level.

Participant

He is very into specs and such I will ask him next time I talk to him, that could very easily be his issue. I know when he had it installed he was really concerned about the noise of rain or hail and he has said he hasnt noticed a change in noise level.

That’s the biggest concern I hear aswell. It’s mostly about underlayment, if you use poly it can be a little noisy, whereas fanfold dampens it quite a bit more. As a whole it’s not real loud at all, though. I see how people would think that but it’s definitely not gonna keep you up at night (unless you live in an unfinished pole barn, might be an issue then!)

Participant

Joe replaced our second story shingles replaced with metal roof. Great. Much cooler in the summer. Sheds snow much much better in the winter. The nearest cell phone tower is 8 miles away. No problems with wireless. And they are not tin, steel. 😉

Participant

I know that Kenhump has it on his house and if there were any issues (noise or cell reception) we would have heard it by know.

I think you are on to something Stich. I have worked at several companies and they were all the Morton building type. They all had issues with radio reception and cell reception. I am guessing their steel is probably a little different than that used on houses.

Participant

Quote by: J_Jaacks

I know that Kenhump has it on his house and if there were any issues (noise or cell reception) we would have heard it by know.

I think you are on to something Stich. I have worked at several companies and they were all the Morton building type. They all had issues with radio reception and cell reception. I am guessing their steel is probably a little different than that used on houses.

I do believe that Morton uses slightly heavier steel than most, so I’d say that’s probably the case.

Participant

Spend more time in my shop than in my house…

It’s a pole barn, all tin. It’s 64′ x 46′ and half is finished off…ceiling is tin so there’s another layer.

Years ago the cell phone reception was poor but absolutely no problem for the last several years.

As for the noise. If you’re on the storage side (non-finished) and it starts sprinkling out… it sounds like a severe down-pour but when you step over to the finished side that’s insulated, you can’t hear a thing.

Participant

One thing that may or may not matter to you but my insurance agent told me I would qualify for a discount on my homeowners if I used an approved 50 year shingle on my roof. They didn’t mention anything about a steel roof but its worth asking

Participant

Quote by: rkrause

One thing that may or may not matter to you but my insurance agent told me I would qualify for a discount on my homeowners if I used an approved 50 year shingle on my roof. They didn’t mention anything about a steel roof but its worth asking

My sister and BIL have a $500K home in CO. & metal roof in forest fire is a really big deal.

Participant

what do you do for ventilation if you have a steel roof?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.