Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Rod & Reel Recommendations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Recently my boys are REALLY into fishing.  (8 & 4 years old).  Last summer I took them to the damn at Pine Lake and they had a blast catching little dinks.  Well now we have a few more places to fish and I’d like to get a nice rod and reel.  What do you guys suggest?  Mainly pan fish and small mouth bass and walleyes in the area we have been fishing.

I’m not a fisherman so maybe there isn’t a “do it all”.  I’ve had these two recommendations so far:

Fenwick HMG 6′ 6″ Medium Light & Pflueger President XT

St. Croix Ultra & Shimano Spinner

cowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sounds like some good combos.  I was going to suggest the President for a reel, they are very reliable and a great reel for the price.  Seems like they go on sale quite frequently, I have a couple of them.  Love my St Croix walleye rods, have a couple of those too.

jchalstrom
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Welcome to the incredible world of fishing. Rod and reels are like golf clubs: you need several different types depending on their particular use and the species targeted. That being said, your selection is a very sound one for a beginning, all purpose rod. Enjoy!

IowaSportsmanGuy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

There are many factors to consider when you start approaching the serious rods.

How will you be fishing for those species?  How do you rig, cast, shore or boat?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.