Home Forums Miscellaneous The Battlefront Road Hunting For PheasantsIs It Legal?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Up
    Down

Quote by: RMB+Outdoors+%232

Maybe you’ve missed the part where several of us have said we drive until we see a ditch that looks good, get out and walk the entire ditch? You’ve been so eager to degrade us, I can understand how you might do that.

I hunt private, public and ditches. I’m one of the guys that drive around till I see a good, heavily covered ditch. I park get out and walk until the coverage diminishes, then I turn around and walk the other side back to the truck. If I’m driving looking for good ditches to hunt and I see a bird run in, you bet your a$$ I drive a ways further and then walk that ditch. How many guys do this? Be honest too. If you’re driving looking for places to hunt and see a bird, how many of you actually wave at it and say, “oh, well I since I saw you I’ll let you go?”

Dk I think this officially backs my statement

WOW! I generally don’t participate in the forums however I have to get in on this one! I’m not going to post quotes that have been made by a number of people, however, weather or not some people like it I’m still going back to the ethics debate. for those who simply walk entire ditches chasing birds I totally understand that it is “LEGAL”. I understand that hunting ditches doesn’t mean you are shooting out the window, tresspassing, or any of those acts, however it is the first thing people think when they see people hunting ditches! I will come righ out and say that I am extremly fortunate to have quality private ground to hunt just like Maceman and I don’t understand why so many people have to hate on him for saying so? I am tierd of hearing the argument that “I don’t have private ground to hunt” I also hunt the thousands of acers of public ground that we have in the state!! I do my research, walking around at all times of the year looking at public ground, looking at state land maps to see where the land lies, and using arial maps to decifer were I want to hunt. Don’t ya think that is a little more sporting than “driving around in my truck untill i find a densly populated area to hunt”. I cant imagine looking at a mount on my wall or looking at a photo album and thinking about the game I killed that I found out driving around in my truck. For those of you who are getting all defensive about how you “walk entire ditches” the topic of the forum is road hunting for pheasants not I walk entire ditches for pheasants, so no one is necessarily atacking your style of hunting, I just think thee are a lot of other alternatives you could explore before heading to the ditches? however I fully support Maceman and RMB #2 it gives us all a bad name and I DO THINK IT IS A QUESTION OF ETHICS!!!!

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

I say the Farmer should mind his own business. If someones in the ditch abiding the law then he should shut his mouth and move on! I always respect landowners and have been booted off two places because of some other jack hole idiot. Some guys are cool and will let you hunt some are not cool whatsoever! You just gotta find a decent human being who will allow you to hunt. Anyway I leased 160 acres for this year so ill be moron free this season “hopefully!!” Imagine that —a farmer who writes averything off and made more on that 160 acres last year than I made in the last two years is charging me and some equally poor buddies 1200.00 to hunt deer which eat his corn!!!???? Whats the world coming to? Whatever who cares!!

WOW, so now farmers need 2 shut there mouthes and are only decent human beings if they let u hunt? I don’t like 2 see land being leased out either, however, it is there land and how they make a living, so can you blame them for trying 2 put food on the table?

bigjake
    Up
    Down

No more name calling (I don’t care who started it), no more farmer bashing, no more bashing of people who road or ditch hunt, no more discourteous remarks or this thread will be locked as will all like it.

Bob

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Is RMB Outdoors #2 the same person as RMB #4?

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: RMB#4

I understand that hunting ditches doesn’t mean you are shooting out the window, tresspassing, or any of those acts, however it is the first thing people think when they see people hunting ditches!

Then they are morons. If one is actively hunting a ditch, they are neither shooting out of a window, trespassing or anything else.

I will come righ out and say that I am extremly fortunate to have quality private ground to hunt just like Maceman and I don’t understand why so many people have to hate on him for saying so?

They are “hating” on him because he is calling them lazy, not because he rounded up to ground to pound. I have land to hunt too. Big deal.

… I DO THINK IT IS A QUESTION OF ETHICS!!!!

There is that word again. Can you or someone else explain why ethics has ANYTHING to do with this? How is hunting one side of a fence ethical, but walking the other not? Do we extend those ethics to say that if a rooster flies from a field that we are walking and into a ditch and we have a safe shot, we are now supposed to let him go, ethically speaking?

[admin] Are you creating multiple ID’s for some reason? [/admin]

zman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

WOW I didnt realize road hunting pheasants was such a hot topic. But I will add that i dont see anything wrong with it. If im on the road especially during the holidays ill get off the highway take some gravel roads and road hunt along the way. Is it unethical??? i dont believe so. I love to hunt, i love the flush of a rooster, i love shooting at roosters hit or miss, and i love to eat them. Also i must add that we mostly hunted ditches when i was a kid. At the time we had no dogs always on time constraints cause dad is self employed and he probaly thought it would be easier for me to handle a 10 foot wide ditch that was maybe waist high than acres upon acres of grass up to my head. Just my opinion though

wallybanger101
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maceman

I am not pissing anybody off but you, looks pretty impressive for someone in your position on here to respond like that!! Its people like you that get all worked up over somebody elses opinion if its not the same as yours!!! Its a public forum and i expressed my thoughts, sorry it didnt agree with yours, and all i can say is grow up, the world would be a much better place if people would mind thier own business instead of others!!! I am not bragging about anything, i work for what i got, i earned it, i didnt whine my way into it like others try!! Sorry

Oh believe me.. I am sure your pissing plenty of people off…. I hunt public private and ditches myself… I had to drive an hour and a half to get permission from ONE person to hunt three small spots, and not every county has a lot of public to hunt. I have to drive quite a ways to access public land thats NOT a road ditch.. So I have done my homework and tried to get permission, just no luck…. And I don’t hate the landowners, or the people that do get to hunt the private land. I do have a problem with people like you who think that Everyone is able to get access if they try….And think Lesser of Ditch hunters. Before you go ahead and say “i didn’t say that” You have certainly applied it through almost all your posts. OH and Hawkeyefever, Tell your friend to read the regs… YOU are perfectly legal!!!!! And Ethical as long as you obey the regs

tmo2173
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I grew up hunting ditches with my father and grandfather. We would load the whole family up and drive the countryside usually with my Dad, Mom, younger brother and myself all looking at the ditch out our own side of the vehicle. Many good memories. Looking forward to ditch hunting this fall.

dkwolf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: wallybanger101

I am not pissing anybody off but you, looks pretty impressive for someone in your position on here to respond like that!! Its people like you that get all worked up over somebody elses opinion if its not the same as yours!!! Its a public forum and i expressed my thoughts, sorry it didnt agree with yours, and all i can say is grow up, the world would be a much better place if people would mind thier own business instead of others!!! I am not bragging about anything, i work for what i got, i earned it, i didnt whine my way into it like others try!! Sorry

Oh believe me.. I am sure your pissing plenty of people off…. I hunt public private and ditches myself… I had to drive an hour and a half to get permission from ONE person to hunt three small spots, and not every county has a lot of public to hunt. I have to drive quite a ways to access public land thats NOT a road ditch.. So I have done my homework and tried to get permission, just no luck…. And I don’t hate the landowners, or the people that do get to hunt the private land. I do have a problem with people like you who think that Everyone is able to get access if they try….And think Lesser of Ditch hunters. Before you go ahead and say “i didn’t say that” You have certainly applied it through almost all your posts. OH and Hawkeyefever, Tell your friend to read the regs… YOU are perfectly legal!!!!! And Ethical as long as you obey the regs

*nods head and raises a glass to wallybanger*

Well said.

Feathers
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: wallybanger101 OH and Hawkeyefever, Tell your friend to read the regs… YOU are perfectly legal!!!!! And Ethical as long as you obey the regs

Perfect answer to your question.Thank’s wallybanger.

Feathers

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think you will find a lot of farmers who have a bad experience’s with road hunters. I know we have.

dkwolf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: flyfishr

I think you will find a lot of farmers who have a bad experience’s with road hunters. I know we have.

For the love….I give up. I wonder how many road and/or ditch hunters have had bad experiences with farmers that think they control the whole road?

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Jefro, did you see the part where i said “I” think, i didnt say anything about anybody on this post being lazy, maybe its just the way you decided to read into it?? Once again its just MY opinion!!! This is getting way to much like jr high BS!!!! If we all agreed to the same thing it would be a pretty terrible world we live in!!!!

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I said road hunters. I did not say ditch hunters. We have never had a problem with ditch hunters. There is a big difference.

jrs212
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Since because of my health I don’t hunt pheasant except on my 10 acre acreage, I wasn’t going to bother with this thread. But being bored this morning I read it and I’m gonna add my 2 cents. Road hunters, I’ve had them stop and shoot birds in my grove, and I’ve had them shoot in the ditch 25 yards from my house, wound the bird, and walk on my land looking for the bird with a gun at the ready to shoot another. Private land hunters, I’ve seen them shoot a bird in the land across the road from me and hit my house, narrowly missing my dog, which was properly restrained on my property.

This crap happens every year, with both road hunters and land hunters. They are lucky I do not shoot back.

My point is there are bad apples on both sides of the fence and there are people with great morals and ethics too. I still let people who ask me hunt. However the people who hunt across the road are not allowed to shoot within 200 yards of my buildings. And if someone shoots in my grove or walks on my land with a gun ready and no permission, well the sheriff is on my speed dial.

You can’t blame everyone for what a few do.

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Jefro, did you see the part where i said “I” think, i didnt say anything about anybody on this post being lazy, maybe its just the way you decided to read into it?? Once again its just MY opinion!!! This is getting way to much like jr high BS!!!! If we all agreed to the same thing it would be a pretty terrible world we live in!!!!

I have no problem with someone who disagrees with me. The problem is that words mean things, and whether you meant to or not, you impugned the character of every self admitted ditch hunter by stating they are too lazy to hunt a good field. When challenged on it, you backed away stating it’s only your opinion or only what you “think”. Yeah we got that. You made it quite clear the first time.

So lets just end this right here and now. I like walking a ditch that runs north south on Xircus Ave between 300 and 310 in Hamilton county. I’ve asked permission several times to walk a dredge ditch on the east side and an east/west running fenceline on the west side to no avail. I know that late in the afternoon, there are usually birds in that ditch. I park the truck, and walk the ditch up one side and down the other. That’s a two mile walk by the way.

So, am I lazy? Am I unethical for hunting the ditch side of the fence? If I shoot a bird out of a ditch that borders property that I asked, but did not receive permission, am I somehow in the wrong? If I go to the next section to the north I can only walk about a half mile due to there being a house in the middle of that section. Am I lazy now?

Further north there is a great corner that always holds birds after a good snow. If I get out and walk it, it might be a 1/4 mile walk at the most. Once again, I’ve asked permission to hunt the field but get turned down every year. Where do I rank on the lazy scale in that situation?

You see, when you broad brush an entire group of hunters with your opinion, you really do yourself a disservice. I personally don’t think that walking a patch of switch grass with eight guys and four dogs is any more or less noble or ethical than walking a ditch alone. Maybe I’m just funny that way.

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nobody said you or anybody on here was lazy, you are just taking it all personal, it wasnt directed towards anybody in here, just in my area its getting to be that way, there is more trouble being caused by people going where they want to!! It dont matter if its a ditch or somebodys driveway, they dont care!! I will not back down or defend my words, i said what i felt and so did you!! I really dont care if we agree or not, its you who got all defensive and kept at it!!! I could care less if you hunt ditches, i really dont care where you walk, all i said is i think people are getting lazy, i didnt say you or anybody in this forum is lazy!! So yeah lets quit the jr high crap and you hunt your way and i’ll hunt mine!!!! Enough said!!!!!

Da_Hunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I must say, Mace, the way you have come off in your posts has been pretty condescending towards people that don’t have permission to hunt private land. If you read your earlier ones you sound like you’re assuming people don’t ask. Or if they do, they don’t ask enough. What if all of the landowners decided to start leasing the land at a price you can’t quite afford? Happens more and more so you can’t assume it won’t. What are you going to do when you can’t get permission anywhere and every piece of public land you find is swallowed in a sea of blaze orange for the first few weeks of the season? Are you going to quit hunting or are you going to continue your passion by looking to the ditches?

I really hope that nothing unfortunate happens to your hunting grounds. It’s a precious commodity and I’m very happy that there are still people that can get permission to hunt even if I’m not one of them. I just want you to think about what it may be like on the other side of the fence.

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My only problem is with the people that wont make the attempt, i’m not pointing fingers or directing it towards any one person or persons. I am just trying to say that there are some people that dont even bother trying to gain permission and just drive around and shoot whatever they want when they want and could care less where they are. I have no problem with people hunting ditches and yes there is a difference between road hunting and ditch hunting. If people are offended by my opinion then i apologize because that wasnt my attempt to point anybody out or make anybody feel bad. I have seen way to much of the run and gun blasting at anything and its not only during pheasant season, I chased a big 12 point buck for 2 years just to find out it was shot out the window by one of those kind of people that dont care. So i will leave it at that, i will take care of what i have and will defend it and the property owners rights as if they are my own and if i see something illegal being done i wont hesitate to call the law!! Things are getting tougher every year and people sometimes dont realize they are making it bad for everybody else when they just think about themselves!!! Judge me how you see fit!!!!

iowavf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think most get what you’re trying to say mace, but when you stated that people are getting lazy and lack motivation to find hunting ground and just take the easy way out and hunt ditches, that’s when you ruffled some feathers. Maybe you didn’t think that sounded bad, but the way I and others perceived it was that anyone who wasn’t hunting private ground must be too lazy to go out and find private ground to hunt. If I was to make a statement like”I THINK people who live in Southeastern Iowa are lazy and lack ethics when it comes to hunting”. I didn’t say anyones name in particular and it’s just my opinion, but don’t you think that would piss off most of the hunters in Southeastern Iowa because I just put them all in one class and called them lazy and unethical. I know the type you’re talking about, they drive around and take cheap shots out the window or will stop and just walk onto an abandoned farm stead and hunt. You can’t call these individuals “Hunters” and when you said you think ditch/road hunters are lazy, you just threw everyone in the same class of people these low lifes are. Maybe just a poor choice of words you used to express your opinion, you knew what you was talking about but that wasn’t the way it came accross to others. It was still a pretty good discussion and yes a few people got bashed, but I say no foul, no harm.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.