Home Forums Miscellaneous The Battlefront Road Hunting For PheasantsIs It Legal?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maceman

…its a public forum and i thought i had the right to add my thoughts, but i guess i’m not allowed my own opinion, what a crock!!! To many people want the same rights as everybody else but they dont want to work for it!! Lets blame the landowners and call them names but stick up for the idiot that shot the mans cows and destroyed his property without thinking about the end results!!!!There will be no invation, i found my own land to hunt find yours!!!!!!!

Hey, you have the right to your opinion as much as everyone else does. I share your opinion regarding the “bad apples” and have always hunted in a manner to avoid being thrown into that category.

I will continue working for my right to hunt private ground, and I am saddened that you don’t see fit to invite me on one of your outings. Perhaps you and your out of state buddies will drive some over me while I am standing in the adjacent ditch???

I will be waiting… 😀

RESPECTFULLY,
    HF

iowavf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I hunt both private land and road ditches and there’s a right way and a wrong way to do both. As for the landowner who gets mad because he thinks someone is shooting his birds, is he willing to pay for a windshield or headlight that his bird breaks when it hits my truck? There are also a lot of disrespectful landowners out there also. Alot of private land is leased now compared to 5 or 6 years ago, which makes it tough to get permission. We have a place we’ve hunted for ten years and was and still good friends with the landowner, but his son decided to lease the land and I’m sorry but I’m not going to pay for a lease unless it’s the comes to not having any land to hunt. Some areas in Iowa are almost impossible to get permission to hunt, unless you want permission to hunt a wide open field with no fence rows or water ways like a lot of the hunting ground is turnning into. So just don’t asume that everyone who road hunts are lazy and have no motivation to find hunting land that you can actually see birds in. I’ve had permission to hunt this family farm for years and they own over 5,000 acres, but I don’t care how motivted, energetic, or respectful you are, they’re not going to let you hunt any of it because their family, myself and a neigbor are the only people who they let hunt. The landowners with adjacent land all know me, but have either family or the same person who has hunted the land for years and I won’t let me hunt their land.

dkwolf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: RMB+Outdoors+%232

Im sorry if I may be biased cause i do have ground to hunt but I just dont get the thrill in driving around until you have spotted a pheasant..jumping out..and shooting it. This involves zero of the aspects that I hunt for…..I am not bashing those who do not have ground to hunt or sayiing that those who do it are wrong. I am jus stating my view on road hunting. And I believe that maceman is right when he says one bad apple ruins it all. I have come up over a hill top and found to many people one step out of their truck ground swatting a pheasant way to many times. And no I know that is not what you who are defending road hunting do. But pieces of crap like that are what comes to alot of peoples minds when they think of this subject and I believe it gives road/ditch hunting some what of a tainted name…

Maybe you’ve missed the part where several of us have said we drive until we see a ditch that looks good, get out and walk the entire ditch? You’ve been so eager to degrade us, I can understand how you might do that.

And Maceman, I’m glad you’ve got the ground. Really, I am. Good for you. But notice how NONE of us lowly (lazy, I think you put it?) ditch hunters have said anything about “I hunt ditches because it’s easier than asking permission for private ground”? Maybe we HAVE asked for permission, only to get told “We don’t allow hunting” or “Me and my boys are going to hunt that later this weekend” or “So and so hunts this ground”

But I guess we just don’t want it as much as you do. That’s what you’re implying, isn’t it?

And whoever stated they pay taxes to the middle of the road… take another look at that. Better yet, look your land up in the County GIS system if it’s available. You’ll have two values listed – Gross and Net acres. Gross is the total parcel – say 40 acres. Net is what’s left after any road or drainage ditch right-of-ways are removed, and THAT is what you pay taxes on.

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I did not say anywhere that i thought everybody that hunts ditches is lazy, you just read it how you want, i never bad mouthed anybody personally in this forum or will i!!! I am saying that there are some that instead of knocking on doors will shoot anything that moves and they dont care where or when they do it!!! Its a matter of choice and i have made MY choice to work to gain the ground i have to hunt!! Its just MY opinion that if you want land bad enough you will keep knocking on doors and get it!! I didnt get any land handed to me, i went out and got it!! There are people that have asked one farmer and got told No and now all the farmers and landowners ares bad!! I had my share of “NO’S” but kept at it, i didnt get mad or discouraged i just kept on asking and now have plenty of land that i hunt. So you can say what you want about me and my opinion and i really dont care, this is a public forum and i was adding my 2 cents, i wasnt trying to make enemies or tick anybody off!! Read the whole message not just what you want to read into it!! Theres to many people who do not even try and they are the ones that make it rough for those of us that do!!! So get out and talk to people, its not going to come to you!!!

boonie_rat
    Participant
    Up
    Down

A little early to be beating this particular horse, ain’t it boys? shouldn’t we be discussing the proper way to fillet a musky or somethin’?

jrocker
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: boonie_rat

A little early to be beating this particular horse, ain’t it boys? shouldn’t we be discussing the proper way to fillet a musky or somethin’?

Or maybe truck hunting coyotes. 👿 :mrgreen:

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sounds like i am hitting to close to home for some people!! I didnt say everybody that hunts the ditches are wrong, just trying to point out that the reason most landowners dont let anybody hunt is because of the “one” person that did all the wrong things, i think everybody is taking this way to personal, its a public forum and i thought i had the right to add my thoughts, but i guess i’m not allowed my own opinion, what a crock!!! To many people want the same rights as everybody else but they dont want to work for it!! Lets blame the landowners and call them names but stick up for the idiot that shot the mans cows and destroyed his property without thinking about the end results!!!!There will be no invation, i found my own land to hunt find yours!!!!!!! Heres what knocking on doors can do!!!!!!]

So you are purposely pissing people off and then telling people not to take it personal? Are those the same personal skills that got you those many acres to hunt? Or are you just talking smack on the internet? Either way, yeah, you can post your opinion. That certainly doesn’t mean I have to roll over and tell you how great you are for getting a few places to hunt.

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am not pissing anybody off but you, looks pretty impressive for someone in your position on here to respond like that!! Its people like you that get all worked up over somebody elses opinion if its not the same as yours!!! Its a public forum and i expressed my thoughts, sorry it didnt agree with yours, and all i can say is grow up, the world would be a much better place if people would mind thier own business instead of others!!! I am not bragging about anything, i work for what i got, i earned it, i didnt whine my way into it like others try!! Sorry

monsterboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Is that Wade Weidemeir in your photo?

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am not pissing anybody off but you, looks pretty impressive for someone in your position on here to respond like that!! Its people like you that get all worked up over somebody elses opinion if its not the same as yours!!! Its a public forum and i expressed my thoughts, sorry it didnt agree with yours, and all i can say is grow up, the world would be a much better place if people would mind thier own business instead of others!!! I am not bragging about anything, i work for what i got, i earned it, i didnt whine my way into it like others try!! Sorry

You can drop the martyr act. Nobody here is buying it just as nobody is telling you to shut up. I have just as much right to state my opinion on this site as well, don’t let the title and the big paycheck make you think anything different.

Where we disagreed was in your classifying those who hunt ditches as lazy or not quite up to par with your own abilities for securing land to hunt. Yeah, you might not have call me or Jabrd or someone else lazy or not up to your level, but your intent was crystal clear. On both cases, regarding the members involved in this thread anyway, you are quite mistaken.

monsterboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I say the Farmer should mind his own business. If someones in the ditch abiding the law then he should shut his mouth and move on! I always respect landowners and have been booted off two places because of some other jack hole idiot. Some guys are cool and will let you hunt some are not cool whatsoever! You just gotta find a decent human being who will allow you to hunt. Anyway I leased 160 acres for this year so ill be moron free this season “hopefully!!” Imagine that —a farmer who writes averything off and made more on that 160 acres last year than I made in the last two years is charging me and some equally poor buddies 1200.00 to hunt deer which eat his corn!!!???? Whats the world coming to? Whatever who cares!!

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Whatever you think, you have that right just as i can think what i want!! Nobody said we have to agree on everything, i am stating what i think and didnt call anybody on this forum lazy or enept!! You go man!!!!

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Whatever you think, you have that right just as i can think what i want!! Nobody said we have to agree on everything, i am stating what i think and didnt call anybody on this forum lazy or enept!! You go man!!!!

I think alot of it is people are getting to lazy to get off thier backsides and walk a good field opting for walking 20 feet from the truck and then moving on…

You didn’t say that, in a thread full of self admitted ditch hunters?

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

They’re a non-native/invasive species……kill em all wherever you find em……… :mrgreen: That was just a joke for those folks lacking a sense of humor

Now you guys have me all jacked up to kill ditch chickens!!!

Sincerely, your resident-100%-public-land-one-man-wrecking-crew,

Matt :mrgreen:

Brushy19
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I hunt private, public and ditches. I’m one of the guys that drive around till I see a good, heavily covered ditch. I park get out and walk until the coverage diminishes, then I turn around and walk the other side back to the truck. If I’m driving looking for good ditches to hunt and I see a bird run in, you bet your a$$ I drive a ways further and then walk that ditch. How many guys do this? Be honest too. If you’re driving looking for places to hunt and see a bird, how many of you actually wave at it and say, “oh, well I since I saw you I’ll let you go?”

I don’t think anyone that hunts is “lazy.” Some just aren’t as avid hunters as others. As long as it is legal I don’t have a problem with the way anyone hunts and IMO no one else should care either as long as it’s legal. Sure have your opinions, but if it’s legal why go on rants about it when THE LAW SAYS IT’S OK!! It wont be changed just because you want to whine about it for a while. You can just feel that “you’re the better person” and keep it to yourself.

I say if your style of hunting is legal go for it. It doesn’t matter if I or anyone else doesn’t like your style.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Maybe you’ve missed the part where several of us have said we drive until we see a ditch that looks good, get out and walk the entire ditch? You’ve been so eager to degrade us, I can understand how you might do that.

I hunt private, public and ditches. I’m one of the guys that drive around till I see a good, heavily covered ditch. I park get out and walk until the coverage diminishes, then I turn around and walk the other side back to the truck. If I’m driving looking for good ditches to hunt and I see a bird run in, you bet your a$$ I drive a ways further and then walk that ditch. How many guys do this? Be honest too. If you’re driving looking for places to hunt and see a bird, how many of you actually wave at it and say, “oh, well I since I saw you I’ll let you go?”

Dk I think this officially backs my statement

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: RMB+Outdoors+%232

Dk I think this officially backs my statement

No it doesn’t. You spoke of coming to the top of a hill and seeing folks jump out of a truck and ground swat a bird. That is NOT what DK or Brushy are describing. Once again, you are in such a rush to besmirch those of us who hunt ditches, you can’t get past the fact that some are not the unethical jackasses that you want to broad brush the rest of us as. Brushy was quite clear in describing that upon seeing a bird, he continues to drive on and then walk the ditch, not get out and whack it.

monsterboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This is absolutely retarded! Who gives a flyin crap!?

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: monsterboy

This is absolutely retarded! Who gives a flyin crap!?

I’d start with those who feel it is lazy and/or unethical to hunt ditches. Then continue with those who take exception to having their ethics and fitness questioned.

possum catcher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ha Ha…lets talk about that truck hunting for coyotes. As far as the pheasants I wish they would just close the season for a while.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.