Home Forums Miscellaneous The Battlefront Road Hunting For PheasantsIs It Legal?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Up
    Down

It isnt always the fact of whether it is legal or not but is it ethical. Road hunters often give other hunters bad names. Yes when done legally there is not neceesarily any harm done but looking at a landowners point of view when he looks out the window and sees someone in his ditch next to his land that he specifically manages so he has birds to hunt it probably ticks him off. Nothing like someone coming along and pounding a few of your birds that they dont deserve..jus my 2 cents.

dkwolf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: RMB+Outdoors+%232

It isnt always the fact of whether it is legal or not but is it ethical. Road hunters often give other hunters bad names. Yes when done legally there is not neceesarily any harm done but looking at a landowners point of view when he looks out the window and sees someone in his ditch next to his land that he specifically manages so he has birds to hunt it probably ticks him off. Nothing like someone coming along and pounding a few of your birds that they dont deserve..jus my 2 cents.

What part of PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY do you not understand? If the bird is in the ditch, it’s on public ground. If it flushes from private ground and flys across the fenceline, it’s on public ground. Nothing unethical about it. Just because you manage the neighboring ground for habitat does not make it YOUR bird. If the landowner is getting upset because someone is walking his ditch… well, you need to re-read some of the above posts about landowner attitudes and entitlement. Unless you are buying birds to put on your land and have nets up to keep them there, WILDlife is just that..WILD, and it’s a PUBLIC resource.

I have only two spots of private ground I can hunt, and those are both only if I am with the landowner. Amounts to two days per year I get on those combined areas. But I don’t begrudge the guys that do manage ground and don’t let everyone on it – they are doing a good thing that helps us all.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Didnt say it wasnt a public right a way..I have the right to my opinion just like you. I work for a preserve in the fall and watching people that call themselves “hunters” drive up and down the roads to shoot a preserve bird off the roadside really taints my opinion on how ethical road hunting is. Pheasant hunting for me is a time I watch my dogs work and walk all day in hopes of one bird not about jumping some birds I spot in a ditch

nitromag57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

i am a road hunter only because i dont have any family that owns farms or land. i as iowa resident have the privlidge to hunt these ditches when i buy my license and habitat stamp,ive been harrased by many a farmer and ive never had anything bad happen,i had a farmer block my truck in the gatehole until the dnr showed up to tell him he was wrong and was misinformed,we had no gun when my buddy was going up to get bird on his land jack&^*! SO I DONT LET FARMERS RUIN MY DAY ROAD DAWGIN I TELL THEM I OWN THAT DITCH BOY! 😀

nitromag57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

RMB WHEN HE LOOKS DOWN @ HIS DITCH? HE DOESNT OWN THE DITCH, STATE OWNED

Habitual_eyer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sorry but I pay taxes to the center of the road, and county has a easement for the road. Just like all who own land. In town its the same. I don’t care if ya road hunt thats your choice.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

I never said it wasnt state owned so you can stop arguing that….I only stated that if it wasnt for the habitat next to those ditches the birds would not be there thats all.

hammerhead
    Participant
    Up
    Down

this has been a decent discussion. there will always be some who dont agree with road hunting. there are more hunters witout private ground than with. anybody who says those of us who road hunt are stealing there birds are just wrong. no one owns any wild game animal until after it has been shot and recovered. and if you have ever tried to stop the car, get out, load the gun and aproach the bird you would realize just how hard it can be. alot of birds flush as soon as the car stops. some flush when the door opens and others flush as soon as they see a person. ive been told many time by farmers that ( we dont allow road hunting in this area ) but i never pay them any head. i have legall right to hunt ditches and will do so. i have offered to call the dnr numerous times and have the various county officers on my cell phone. this has shut up a land owner dozens of times. most land owners have had a bad seed experience and it carrys over to those of us who are good hunters, but if the sheriff or game warden comes out the land owner will be the one that gets in trouble for harrasment of a hunter which just happens to be illegal.

jabrd
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Road hunter here as well, for all the above reasons that i wont re-hash. Same topic/discussion every year….holier than thou “ethical” hunters vs the rest of us non-landowning/city folk/no-permission having lazy slobs. Suggestion for mods/admins…. maybe sticky this and the other similar topics like some of the other forums i visit do….then people could just go to it and the rest of us wont have to bother….just a thought 😉

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: RMB+Outdoors+%232

If one follows the rules, there is nothing unethical about walking in a ditch and shooting the birds. Ethics has nothing to do with the conversation here unless you are making the claim that those of us who do hunt in the ditches are unethical. Up to this point, nobody has mentioned supporting shooting them out of windows, blasting them from front yards or any other unseemly activities. While I have as thick of skin as anyone else, I have a real issue with someone on a nameless faceless interweb questioning my ethics.

While I respect any landowner who devotes a certain amount of his income producing ground to further the cause of our beloved ditch chickens, that same land owner needs to realize that he or she does not own the birds, nor do they have any special right to them more than anyone else once they fly off over his fence and into the ditch. My Great Grandma used to raise pheasants. She kept them in a huge fenced in cage. When they escaped, you can bet that she didn’t go out and berate those who had the audacity to hunt them out of the ditch.

She just fixed her fence instead.

superhopper
    Participant
    Up
    Down

State buys their right-of-way so they own it , most county’s purchase a easement for their right-of-ways. If you own land adjacent to a county road you own to the center of the road but at the time the county has an easement for their ROW so you don’t pay taxes for easement part, if you are you better get it changed.

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I hunt all PRIVATE ground and we do quite well. I understand there are times when someone has a disability to be able to hunt along the roadways, i have no problem with that!! I have a problem with people hunting in every ditch they come too, not worrying about who or what is around and who they are going to tick off because they dont care!!! I respect the landowner and that allows me to hunt on his ground!!! I dont break the laws, leave gates open or shoot at anything that moves, its all about RESPECT!!!! Most people these days have no idea what it even is!!! I wouldnt want to contend with all the people that hunt public ground, i did something about it and lined up private ground so i dont have to worry about whos coming from what direction or whos shooting at what!!! I kept on knocking on doors and talking to people and have enough ground to satisfy my pheasant hunting and the hunting of my out of state friends that come here to hunt!!! So i know for a fact it can be done!! Its called motivation, get off your duff and make it happen, dont sit online and whine about it!!!! If you want it bad enough you have to make it happen yourself!!!I’m not trying to make anybody mad but its time people look out for themselves instead of thinking the world and all the people around them owe them something!!!!

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Well said Maceman….

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The landowners mentality has changed because the one bad apple mentioned earlier was the one that shot his cow, tore down his new fence and left the gate open, so can anybody but me see why things have changed?? I guess maybe i’m old school but its still all about respect!! Respect is earned not given!!!!

Jefro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maceman

I hunt all PRIVATE ground and we do quite well. I understand there are times when someone has a disability to be able to hunt along the roadways, i have no problem with that!! I have a problem with people hunting in every ditch they come too, not worrying about who or what is around and who they are going to tick off because they dont care!!! I respect the landowner and that allows me to hunt on his ground!!! I dont break the laws, leave gates open or shoot at anything that moves, its all about RESPECT!!!! Most people these days have no idea what it even is!!! I wouldnt want to contend with all the people that hunt public ground, i did something about it and lined up private ground so i dont have to worry about whos coming from what direction or whos shooting at what!!! I kept on knocking on doors and talking to people and have enough ground to satisfy my pheasant hunting and the hunting of my out of state friends that come here to hunt!!! So i know for a fact it can be done!! Its called motivation, get off your duff and make it happen, dont sit online and whine about it!!!! If you want it bad enough you have to make it happen yourself!!!I’m not trying to make anybody mad but its time people look out for themselves instead of thinking the world and all the people around them owe them something!!!!

Other than the post where the landowner gets mad because someone shot HIS pheasants who flew over his fence, who has said anything is OWED to them? Currently it is legal to walk in a ditch and shoot stuff in season. It has nothing to do with indebtedness, ethics, respect, etc. IF I am at least 200 yards from a building and I’m on the right side of a fence, I am just fine regardless of the fact that I am not disabled. Once again, I have not seen a single post written by a member who plans on indiscriminately walk every ditch they see regardless or who or what is around them. Have you? If so, please point them out. If not, I and the others who hunt the ditches of this great state, would appreciate not being lumped in with whomever you ARE referring to.

Thanks.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey, Maceman, quit ranting. You’re way off base. Not everyone has the oppurtunities to hunt all private land like you. Would I rather hunt public ground than a ditch? Yes. Private over public? Of course. Do I berate people for hunting road ditches? No. You’re talking about respect, how about showing some for the people who don’t have private land to do quite well on.

HawkeyeFever
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maceman

…I dont break the laws, leave gates open or shoot at anything that moves, its all about RESPECT!!!! Most people these days have no idea what it even is!!! I wouldnt want to contend with all the people that hunt public ground, i did something about it and lined up private ground so i dont have to worry about whos coming from what direction or whos shooting at what!!! I kept on knocking on doors and talking to people and have enough ground to satisfy my pheasant hunting and the hunting of my out of state friends that come here to hunt!!! …p]

I guess you should consider yourself fortunate that the landowners you got permission from didn’t label you as one of those disrespectful, lazy, cow-shooting, fence-damaging, non-law abiding losers before you stepped out of your truck or made a phone call.

I haven’t gotten my invitation yet? What gives?

Maceman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sounds like i am hitting to close to home for some people!! I didnt say everybody that hunts the ditches are wrong, just trying to point out that the reason most landowners dont let anybody hunt is because of the “one” person that did all the wrong things, i think everybody is taking this way to personal, its a public forum and i thought i had the right to add my thoughts, but i guess i’m not allowed my own opinion, what a crock!!! To many people want the same rights as everybody else but they dont want to work for it!! Lets blame the landowners and call them names but stick up for the idiot that shot the mans cows and destroyed his property without thinking about the end results!!!!There will be no invation, i found my own land to hunt find yours!!!!!!! Heres what knocking on doors can do!!!!!!

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Im sorry if I may be biased cause i do have ground to hunt but I just dont get the thrill in driving around until you have spotted a pheasant..jumping out..and shooting it. This involves zero of the aspects that I hunt for…..I am not bashing those who do not have ground to hunt or sayiing that those who do it are wrong. I am jus stating my view on road hunting. And I believe that maceman is right when he says one bad apple ruins it all. I have come up over a hill top and found to many people one step out of their truck ground swatting a pheasant way to many times. And no I know that is not what you who are defending road hunting do. But pieces of crap like that are what comes to alot of peoples minds when they think of this subject and I believe it gives road/ditch hunting some what of a tainted name…

monsterboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would become a landowner TODAY!!! IF these farmers who have inherited their land ,which has by the way been paid for for the last 20 years by their daddy at 500 dollars an acre didnt think it was now worth 3000.00 an acre. I agree its all been taken over by $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ GREED. If you can honestly tell my that 40 acres is worth 80,000- 120,000$$ then more power to ya! The farmer that wont let you hunt his ground for a couple pheasants then gripes and turns you in for hunting the ditch —well he just needs to be missing a few teeth!! JUST MY OPINION

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.