Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum River Walleye Reproduction?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: DrSportsman

I saw some guys last week with a stringer of 11 walleyes. It was perfectly legal, so I wasnt going to say anything to them. But if you arent going to eat them, just pitch em back in the water. I personally dont think they needed to keep that many in one day, but its not my call so I kept quiet”

???Between 2 people 11 walleyes to eat is nothing, eat some that night freeze the others for later. Nothing wrong w/ it, I do a lot of fishing to eat them as well as for sport.

Actually between 2 people 11 walleyes is something, its over the limit…

And there were 3 guys, so it was legal. And like I said, its my opinion they dont need that many. If its their opinion that they do need that many, than so be it, its legal.

Participant

Personally, you will never see me keeping any of the walley3es that i’ve caught in the DSM River. My best day consisted of 5 of them with the smallest being 3lbs, ranging up to 5lbs. Biggest walleye release was over 28″ several falls ago.
    Same thing with my flatheads, last summer caught over 40 total, largest flathead to date is 67lbs, brought her out, weighed, pics taken, and released her back into the same spot where she was caught so she could get back on her nest.
    I’m not so sure as for walleye reproduction as I am with flats reproducing, but I do know that for every one you put back, you increase the chance for everyone else. Conservation pays huge dividends imo….good luck to everyone!!

Participant

keep any walleye that you want to. iowa’s water quality is too poor. eggs suffocate and fry can’t survive. that’s why each spring there’s a big round up of walleye at the hatcheries. each year more walleyes get stocked and grow to replace the one’s that are caught. just because someone keeps a big walleye, you don’t have to look down on them. it’s their choice and now their fish. there are more that one walleye that size in the water. it’s like a put and take trout stream, walleyes are stocked for people to harvest them. their not going to reproduce and maybe people are just looking for meat and not a trophy, and that’s their choice. keep whatever you want.

Participant

Quote by: nick

I saw some guys last week with a stringer of 11 walleyes. It was perfectly legal, so I wasnt going to say anything to them. But if you arent going to eat them, just pitch em back in the water. I personally dont think they needed to keep that many in one day, but its not my call so I kept quiet”

???Between 2 people 11 walleyes to eat is nothing, eat some that night freeze the others for later. Nothing wrong w/ it, I do a lot of fishing to eat them as well as for sport.

And there were 3 guys, so it was legal. And like I said, its my opinion they dont need that many. If its their opinion that they do need that many, than so be it, its legal.

I actually think that 11 walleyes between 3 people isn’t that much to keep considering it would be a meal between me and 2 of my BIG(I mean huge) buddies who eat a lot. But i guess everyone has their opinions and thats perfectly ok with me. I don’t think that keeping walleyes is going to hurt the population any seeing that they don’t reproduce and that the DNR will stock all the waters again anyway. So do you not plan on keeping other fish that aren’t regularly stocked and have trouble producing naturally?

I believe as long as it is legal, keep as many as you want as long as you plan to eat every one of them!

And I think big river walleyes don’t taste like shad and they still taste excellent!

Participant

Ok so I got the limit wrong where you were at, I figured it was the Miss. River you were talking about since you mentioned a pool from it, then 6 is daily limit and would be legal from there, but anyway even more my point if its 3 guys. If its legal then no sense in any of us getting upset about it.

Participant

I don’t think that keeping walleyes is going to hurt the population any seeing that they don’t reproduce and that the DNR will stock all the waters again anyway. So do you not plan on keeping other fish that aren’t regularly stocked and have trouble producing naturally?

I believe as long as it is legal, keep as many as you want as long as you plan to eat every one of them!

The first part of this statement I dont agree with. You said it in your post, that they don’t reproduce. So then if you remove fish from what is there, how does that not hurt the population? The DNR does not stock all the areas of the interior rivers, so when you remove a fish, technically the population shrinks.

The second part of this I will agree with. If you are going to eat all of the fish you take, and you caught them legally, take them, thats fine. Ill still continue to catch and release the ones I get, that leaves more for the guys who want to take them. B)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.