Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum River Trip

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hello Everyone! This summer I am going to load up the Boat and head down a river in Iowa for a week. I am looking for advice on what I should pack for food and gear and what river systems would be good to do this on. I will be dropped off one weekend and picked up the next.

What would be a good river location?

What should a person bring for such a trip?

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

cyclones30
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey Matt sounds like a fun trip. When you say boat do you mean boat or canoe? If its a boat you’ll have to find a stretch where you can go all the way with no dams blocking your path which can be kinda hard if you’re planning on boating each day. I guess the first thing that came to my mind was the Mississippi if you’re taking a boat. Tons of river and backwaters to fish and you can camp basically anywhere out on the river. If you’re going to be canoeing then its a different story and I’ll have to think about it a little more…

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You will have to do some research as to where you are going to stay. Many of iowas small rivers are surounded by private ground and just pulling up on a sand bar is considered tresspassing. That would be one consideration, otherwise a good water filter would be advised since it would be a hassle to bring a weeks worth of water in your boat

bowmaker
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You didn’t say what kind of BOAT you would be using. If that is a canoe you should not have any problems on almost any river. If it is an out board of almost any kind you will have problems with river dams. Around here I can’t think of a single river that you could float for a week with out running into a dam and none of the interior rivers have locks to facilitate passage. The Des Moines, Iowa, Cedar, Skunk, Maquoketa, all would present this problem.
    As far as what to take, pack light. A couple changes of clothes, some simple things to eat like hot dogs or pancakes because you won’t want to spend a lot of time cooking. If you catch fish you can use the pancake mix for batter if you want. Take rain gear and a GOOD FIRSTAID KIT, and your regular camping gear, what ever that might be. A radio and cell phone for emergencies are always nice. Take lots of drinking water or scope out a way to buy some along the way because you will need plenty, at least 2 gallons per day or more if it is really hot. Sounds great , so have fun. 😆

Iowa Hunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have access to a canoe and a couple of john boats. I would like to find a river that a guy would have a decent chance of catching some fish and anything thing else a person might need or want. I know that alot of Iowa Rivers have public places and I would camp at some of those. I know that the Des Moines and Raccoon River have places like this spread out on them.

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Try a short overnight trip first. The route may depend if your alone or have a partner to go around a dam etc. . The Iowa river is good and I’ve canoed it from Belmond to Manatts Landing at Tama 125 river miles. Starting at Iowa Falls below the dam to how ever far South would be a good trip. Plan it around a favorable weather report. You’ll need TP, fryin pan, oil, etc.,fishing gear and bait, sleeping bag in a sealed garbage bad the same for your socks and clothes change and water for drinking for a starter. So do a overnighter close to home first to see what you forgot. If its a canoe load it so its balanced out and if the waters low you may have to get out and pull so don’t put the kitchen sink in there.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

holdem
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Iowa+Hunter

Hello Everyone! This summer I am going to load up the Boat and head down a river in Iowa for a week. I am looking for advice on what I should pack for food and gear and what river systems would be good to do this on. I will be dropped off one weekend and picked up the next.

What would be a good river location?

What should a person bring for such a trip?

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

Les Stroud :mrgreen:

bowfisher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My vote would be the south skunk

Only one dam at Oakland mills, vary boatable especially with a canoe.

upper stretches hold alot of good smallies/eyes and lower stretches hold a ton of cats.

Cubby
    Participant
    Up
    Down

First, I am glad just to get on Iowa Outdoors, half the time the site doesn’t load. Good post, I would like to know more areas to river fish, I usually fish the raccoon between Van Meter and Booneville for cats. Last year it was slower than the previous year, maybe due to the flooding. You could fish from Van Meter well into Des Moines without hitting any dams and fish in a regular boat, not a canoe. However you will be mostly fishing for catfish.

Wolfdog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you go with the South Skunk be sure to put in below the hyway 149 Bridge as there is a very very large log jam about 1/4 mile down river from the bridge. If coming from the north go across the bridge for about a mile and follow the signs to the boat ramp. From there on down there are places to camp.

Cubby
    Participant
    Up
    Down

First, I am glad just to get on Iowa Outdoors, half the time the site doesn’t load. Good post, I would like to know more areas to river fish, I usually fish the raccoon between Van Meter and Booneville for cats. Last year it was slower than the previous year, maybe due to the flooding. You could fish from Van Meter well into Des Moines without hitting any dams and fish in a regular boat, not a canoe. However you will be mostly fishing for catfish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.