Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing River help

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For interior river fishing, if I don’t know the river well, bring a tote of jigs ranging from 1/16th-1/4 oz. Bring a couples packs of your favorite plastics, and go to town. Traditionally, I find that the more natural colors work best on clear rivers. Ringworms, flukes, twisters, all will service you well. Also, don’t overlook buck tails or hair jigs. I love throwing them as well, especially in clearer rivers. Find the jig that doesn’t hang up when working it back in. Traditionally, if I need more then a 1/4oz, the conditions aren’t right to pitch jigs to. Just my experience. Good luck! As far as structure, btw, always look for current breaks that have water in them. Fish will be in there. Steve

Participant

Would I be totally crazy to try and throw some sort of crank bait?

Participant

I don’t think that’s crazy. Personally, I rarely use them only because I prefer live bait. I’m sure others on here will know more about throwing cranks. It seems like the people I know that use them are usually using them in the fall.

Participant

Sure you can throw cranks, but remember you will loose them too! Some times that is all they will hit. One thing you can do to help not loose as many jigs; is every cast count the lure down. You want to be close to the bottom, but not snag. So cast to a spot, count the jig down( one thousand one, two) and bring back in. If you didn’t touch anything, then repeat the cast and let it go deeper by 1 or 2 counts. When you just start ticking things, you know you are the right depth. Each area will be different, so there is a learning curve. Bites can be anything from a light tick, extra weight, or they can thump it! Learn to tell the difference between bumping some thing or a bite. Have FUN, but be patient!

Participant

When throwing cranks do you use a steady retrieve or stop and go or is there a different way you bring it back? I’m out of my element when I start throwing them and only use them as a last resort because I don’t feel I know how to work them back.

Participant

Sometimes its a slow steady retrieve that gets a bite, sometimes a pause will trigger the bite. Play around until you find out whats effective that day, and it will probably be something different the next day. I think the retrieve rate is a lot more important than color, so if you go with a buddy you can experiment and figure out whats working. Good Luck!

Participant

Thank you, I will give it a try!

Participant

Quote by: mskursh

it will lead to loads of frustration but ultimately the payoff can be huge. just keep at it. start heavy and go lighter until you are just barely ticking the bottom. mess with speeds. if you can find an eddy with 3-4+ feet of water, you should be golden. but it may take 10 color changes to find something they want.

X2..

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.