Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing River help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I don’t have much experience river fishing from shore for Walleye but may give it a shot next week in the Des Moines just west of Boone. Not looking for anyone’s spots but does any have any tips or advise? Feel free to PM me!

Thanks!

Participant

I’d look for any places creeks dump in and fish the break in the water where the creek meets the river. Another place to look is downstream side of log jams or any place you see an eddy is a place to give it a shot.

Participant

Quote by: e.fork-walleye

I’d look for any places creeks dump in and fish the break in the water where the creek meets the river. Another place to look is downstream side of log jams or any place you see an eddy is a place to give it a shot.

Would jig and twister tail be the most effect way to target them?

Participant

Well i might sound old here… but anyway.. go to the library, they should have all the in-fisherman books that educate you on how to fish for walleye in all bodies of water, times of year, and other conditions.. they also have many videos, now CDs about the same topics… I review mine often to remind myself of their tendencies.. Who you wanna trust the linder brothers?? or the internet experts… you know who the Linder brothers are, don’t you???

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

Well i might sound old here… but anyway.. go to the library, they should have all the in-fisherman books that educate you on how to fish for walleye in all bodies of water, times of year, and other conditions.. they also have many videos, now CDs about the same topics… I review mine often to remind myself of their tendencies.. Who you wanna trust the linder brothers?? or the internet experts… you know who the Linder brothers are, don’t you???

Yes…

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

You tube is faster… 😆

Participant

PM sent

Participant

Thank you.

Blocked

OH my! This is going to be good.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

Grab a pair of waders, find a nice sand/rock bar, and fish the downstream end in the current seam. A twistertail or a jig head tipped with a minnow is your friend:-). Be careful around the sandbars, sometimes they give out under your feet and some are undercut like the bank, and you end up in he drink….which is not cool if you are wearing waders and it’s this time of year. Have fun!

Participant

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

Grab a pair of waders, find a nice sand/rock bar, and fish the downstream end in the current seam. A twistertail or a jig head tipped with a minnow is your friend:-). Be careful around the sandbars, sometimes they give out under your feet and some are undercut like the bank, and you end up in he drink….which is not cool if you are wearing waders and it’s this time of year. Have fun!

Thanks!

Participant

River fishing can be very frustrating. Be prepared to lose jigs and fight snags. But, it also can be fantastic. Don’t let it get you down, Especially in the spring, you may cast 100 times with nothing and your next 5 casts you may catch five fish. You will learn as you go. Have fun.

Participant

If using a jig, heat up the bend of the hook with a lighter or some such, weakens the metal and when dug into a sang, you are far more likely to straighten out the hook adn get your jig back.
    simply re-bend the hook and recast, Have never lost a hooked fish, just get free from snags.

Find bridges and give them a go. immediately behind any support columns, as the flood waters go past, the water current tends to dig a hole right behind the concrete support columns. Reason why see so many being repaired and wings added to them, down stream.

Kalins 3 inchers & Big Hammer swim baits work well in rivers.
    match teh color to the water turbidity.

Good Luck

Participant

Quote by: gofishN

If using a jig, heat up the bend of the hook with a lighter or some such, weakens the metal and when dug into a sang, you are far more likely to straighten out the hook adn get your jig back.
    simply re-bend the hook and recast, Have never lost a hooked fish, just get free from snags.

Find bridges and give them a go. immediately behind any support columns, as the flood waters go past, the water current tends to dig a hole right behind the concrete support columns. Reason why see so many being repaired and wings added to them, down stream.

Kalins 3 inchers & Big Hammer swim baits work well in rivers.
    match teh color to the water turbidity.

Good Luck

Good info, thank you!

Participant

it will lead to loads of frustration but ultimately the payoff can be huge. just keep at it. start heavy and go lighter until you are just barely ticking the bottom. mess with speeds. if you can find an eddy with 3-4+ feet of water, you should be golden. but it may take 10 color changes to find something they want.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.