Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle Suggestions

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Blocked

As a side note to the rifle choice…how do you guys feel about using an AR with a 30 round mag? I’m all for the use of rifles and would even like to see it expanded to allow more calibers in some zones, but I’m definitely for a magazine restriction as well, especially on semi-autos.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

As a side note to the rifle choice…how do you guys feel about using an AR with a 30 round mag? I’m all for the use of rifles and would even like to see it expanded to allow more calibers in some zones, but I’m definitely for a magazine restriction as well, especially on semi-autos.

Meh I don’t really have a problem with it.

Very few times it will make a huge difference. After a few shots the deer are going to be gone anyway. I have hunted with a AR in WI before and I don’t think I have ever loaded more than 7-8 rounds.

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

The legal calibers that can be had in an AR won’t allow for a 30rd capacity due to size, unless you want to make some custom mag that hangs way below the rifle. A .450 Bushmaster will give you 11rds in a 30rd 5.56 mag and I believe 7rds in a 20rd 5.56 mag. Depending on barrel and mag length some leverguns will allow more capacity than an AR and can be fired just about as fast in the right hands.

Participant

I’m fine with 30 round magazines, in an AR or any other semi-auto. I’m fine with 100 round magazines. I’ve been there when you wish you had more shells in the gun, this would end that.

Participant

Waiting to see Orange army with Siaga with 30 round drums.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

Just “pulled the trigger” on a marlin lever action .44 mag. I think it will make me happy for a couple decades.

Participant

Congratulations on your new gun purchase! The Marlin should give you decades of service and be an absolute blast to shoot.

My 10 year old daughter killed her first deer tonight with the CVA Hunter in .44 mag, and I will be starting a new thread with some pictures tomorrow. She dropped him stone dead at 50 yards with a perfect double lung shot, just like we practiced. 😀
    The 240 grain Federal JHP left a caliber size entry wound, smashed a couple ribs, pulverized the lungs, and left an exit wound just shy of an inch in diameter. I found one small bullet fragment about 1/2′ long stuck to the edge of the exit wound, and judging by the carnage in the chest cavity most of the energy was deposited in the deer prior to exit.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Nice option with a .44 mag would be the ability to start a young shooter out with .44 specials to do some practice and then step up to the 44 mag for hunting.

Whip

Participant

Quote by: oldstylelight

Just “pulled the trigger” on a marlin lever action .44 mag. I think it will make me happy for a couple decades.

Fine choice 😀

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I highly recommend the Henry Big Boy series of rifles. I am not sure as to your exact price range, but you can get a Henry Big Boy in a wide range of straight walled cartridges ranging from .357 magnum to .44 magnum, and up to .45 Colt. Beautiful guns with fantastic fit and finish that are typically good shooters.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

I will second this. I love my Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt. It did a real good job on the deer this year as well double lung pass through at 100 yards… the doe dropped about 30 feet from point of impact. Worked up some safe reloads equivalent to Buffalo Bore with 250GR Hornady XTP’s

Only downside to the Henry is weight 8.68 LBS based on their website… fully loaded it will be somewhat more than that… not an issue for a walk to the stand but if you were walking around all day with it you may want to invest in a good sling too.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.