Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle bill passes the Senate!

Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I think that the DNR decides what straight walled cases are going to be used but why not the .450 Bushmaster. That would mostly be chambered in an MSR (modern sporting rifle ie AR15). As long as there were magazine capacity restrictions limiting the rifle to 5 shots I say why not! A 5 shot .450 Bushmaster is no more lethal than a 5 shot Remington 870. We aren’t adding anything more powerful, more deadly with more velocity than the firearms we already use, we just are giving people more choices as to the platforms they want to hunt with.

Saying that this is a slippery slope leading to necked down high velocity rifle cartridges is pushing it. The difference between a .44 mag and a .270 isn’t a slope, it’s falling off a cliff! The state is never going to go for it and I’m 100% in the states corner on this one.

And lastly, I live in one of the bottom tier counties where high power rifles were legal for last season anterless deer. My only problem with that season is the number of shed antler bucks that get taken. I feel bad for some buck that evades the hordes of hunters for all the regular seasons and then get whacked in Jan. I quit hunting the late season just for that reason.

Participant

Quote by: karnivor

I think that the DNR decides what straight walled cases are going to be used but why not the .450 Bushmaster. That would mostly be chambered in an MSR (modern sporting rifle ie AR15). As long as there were magazine capacity restrictions limiting the rifle to 5 shots I say why not! A 5 shot .450 Bushmaster is no more lethal than a 5 shot Remington 870. We aren’t adding anything more powerful, more deadly with more velocity than the firearms we already use, we just are giving people more choices as to the platforms they want to hunt with.

Saying that this is a slippery slope leading to necked down high velocity rifle cartridges is pushing it. The difference between a .44 mag and a .270 isn’t a slope, it’s falling off a cliff! The state is never going to go for it and I’m 100% in the states corner on this one.

And lastly, I live in one of the bottom tier counties where high power rifles were legal for last season anterless deer. My only problem with that season is the number of shed antler bucks that get taken. I feel bad for some buck that evades the hordes of hunters for all the regular seasons and then get whacked in Jan. I quit hunting the late season just for that reason.

Exactly. Some smart buck that avoided all the scent wicks, grunts, food plots, and tree stands in archery season, escaped getting slugged during the shotgun season, will get pegged from 350 out while grazing stubble in an open field….Although deer are so adaptable I’d have to think if a January rifle season became the norm, they’d quite feeding out in open fields once they learn they aren’t safe.

Participant

If the DNR is the agency that will decide which cartridges will be legal, does anyone know when they would/have to publish the legal cartridge list for rifles? I would love to go to a rifle in a straight walled cartridge for deer hunting, but would be bummed if I found out after an initial purchase that other cartridges not on the current legal pistol list are all of the sudden legal.

Participant

Quote by: cast+n

If the DNR is the agency that will decide which cartridges will be legal, does anyone know when they would/have to publish the legal cartridge list for rifles? I would love to go to a rifle in a straight walled cartridge for deer hunting, but would be bummed if I found out after an initial purchase that other cartridges not on the current legal pistol list are all of the sudden legal.

That is the big question right now, just patiently waiting here 😀

Participant

Here is a link to the DNR news release. They are sticking with the already legal cartridges. They say “most will be effective to around 50 yards.” 😉
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-News-Releases/ArticleID/1278/New-law-allows-approved-pistol-cartridges-for-use-in-rifles-to-hunt-deer

Participant

Quote by: Fishin+General

Here is a link to the DNR news release. They are sticking with the already legal cartridges. They say “most will be effective to around 50 yards.” 😉
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-News-Releases/ArticleID/1278/New-law-allows-approved-pistol-cartridges-for-use-in-rifles-to-hunt-deer

This news release looks to make it official. So don’t plan on there being be any new cartridges available for deer hunters this fall.

Participant

I believe it is established as the pistol cartridge list, period. I’d just ignore the straight wall language as that is the criteria for making the list, but the list rules all.

I theorize it will get reviewed later as people get used to the idea. At that time I hope they drop some of the wimpier cartridges off it, we’re in need of a revision. Example: .38 Super.

Participant

I had a beautiful Winchester big loop trapper in .44 mag that I was using in the late rifle season before they dropped it. What a great little woods gun. BUT I sold it when they dropped the rifle season. CRAP!!!! wish I had it now. As an aside, I’ve been very fortunate to be able to hunt with my .44 mag Redhawk. I’ve taken whitetails, mulies, antelope, and a moose with it. Except for the moose all bullets have gone through both sides. Also, the damage done to the meat via hydrostatic shock was much less than with slugs. Not much bloodshot and waste. I think? Iowa requires a jacketed bullet. I prefer Keith type 240 gr hard cast with or without a gas check. For deer I’ve gone to a jacketed 260 flat nose that is really more of a rifle bullet. I’m not looking for much expansion. A .44 hole through the lungs is plenty and if the shot is to far forward there’s plenty of power to break shoulders.

Participant

Quote by: Fishin+General

I roll my own 45/70 ammo and they are effective out to 200 yards out of my Marlin 1895cb. Now with that said I have only taken 1 deer at 204 yards. It blew a lung up and exploded the heart and exited the deer. The deer went 20 yards, 7 yards straight up when hit and 13 yards wobbly running and fell over dead. Most deer I shot were 75 to 150 yards all one shot kills. And all were does, glassed in the late season. I haven’t hunted since they did away with this season. Pissed me off.

Participant

They had a gun show in Council Bluffs this weekend. Saw some nice Marlins in .44mag and .45 LC for $560.00 Sieh Guns in Avoca, Iowa. I have a Thompson Center Encore in 50 cal plus a 12ga slug barrel for it. Also have an 870 youth model with bird and rifled barrel. Tried to work a trade but they would look at the Thompson and act like I was offering a syphilitic whore for trade. New guns are fun but I have about 50 winchester sabot slugs on hand and only shoot about 3 a year plus I have the Redhawk. Not going to spring for any new guns till I can move some of the old ones.

Participant

Thinking of my Marlin .410 lever action in the safe, got me to wondering where .410 slugs fit in the scheme of all this and not sure of ballistic comparisons. I suspect they are a no-go, but a thought nonetheless. I would love to take that out for short range deer hunting.

Participant

Quote by: iaredneck72

Thinking of my Marlin .410 lever action in the safe, got me to wondering where .410 slugs fit in the scheme of all this and not sure of ballistic comparisons. I suspect they are a no-go, but a thought nonetheless. I would love to take that out for short range deer hunting.

I’d have to say the shotgun regs would not change since it specifically spells out which can be used on page 23.

Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.