Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle bill passes the Senate!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: speng5

Quote by: Maverick

Quote by: deerhunter93

Quote by: Tin+Roof

There definitely is some serious opposition to this out there. I have a hard time believing that this will be the beginning of the end of deer hunting as we know it.

Holy smokes dude, quit stirring the pot. Why do people want to hunt Iowa? Because we are doing a pretty good job at managing what we have. Implementing new calibers, seasons, rules etc absolutely will have an impact. Whether it is a small or big impact, we can only guess but it WILL have an impact.

There are no new calibers or seasons taking place. The only thing changing is allowing those ALREADY LEGAL cartridges to be used in rifles and handguns instead of just handguns. The herd will be just fine.

I think he’s more making the “slippery slope” argument, that these handgun cartridges shot out of rifles won’t be the end of our herd, but in 5 years we will have centerfires legal statewide. That argument’s a little paranoid for my liking, as the state needs to manage deer VERY carefully, deer hunting is the only reason any one from out of state come here. Sure isn’t the pheasant hunting or the fishing.

Ok, I’ll play along in this what if could happen scenario. If necked cartridges are suddenly legal what are your thoughts on it decimating the herd? The deer still has to present you with a shot, you still have to make the shot. I only see that as maybe someone fills their tag on the first day instead of the second. A tag filled is still a tag filled. And on top of that no extra licenses are going to be issued. Still the same number of people hunting, still the same number of deer being killed. I just fail to see how this is going to result in some sort or deer apocalypse that is going to suddenly turn Iowa into a vast wasteland where giants once roamed. This state has enough private property and available food to keep that from ever happening.

On the potential plus side. It could very well result in less “slinging” of lead and wounded deer. If someone wounds 3 that go off and die untagged before killing one that is 4 dead deer. If someone is allowed to use the proper tool for the job (aka rifle) there should be a overall increased recovery rate. Resulting in overall less deer killed.

But I think the root of this issue is people fear the bucks being killed. Not the overall number of deer. They have adopted the old man, shakes fist at the neighbor kids mentality of “get off my lawn and stop killing my bucks” attitude. There is no cure for that……only a place to complain.

Participant

There definitely is some serious opposition to this out there. I have a hard time believing that this will be the beginning of the end of deer hunting as we know it.

Holy smokes dude, quit stirring the pot. Why do people want to hunt Iowa? Because we are doing a pretty good job at managing what we have. Implementing new calibers, seasons, rules etc absolutely will have an impact. Whether it is a small or big impact, we can only guess but it WILL have an impact.

There are no new calibers or seasons taking place. The only thing changing is allowing those ALREADY LEGAL cartridges to be used in rifles and handguns instead of just handguns. The herd will be just fine.

I think he’s more making the “slippery slope” argument, that these handgun cartridges shot out of rifles won’t be the end of our herd, but in 5 years we will have centerfires legal statewide. That argument’s a little paranoid for my liking, as the state needs to manage deer VERY carefully, deer hunting is the only reason any one from out of state come here. Sure isn’t the pheasant hunting or the fishing.

Ok, I’ll play along in this what if could happen scenario. If necked cartridges are suddenly legal what are your thoughts on it decimating the herd? The deer still has to present you with a shot, you still have to make the shot. I only see that as maybe someone fills their tag on the first day instead of the second. A tag filled is still a tag filled. And on top of that no extra licenses are going to be issued. Still the same number of people hunting, still the same number of deer being killed. I just fail to see how this is going to result in some sort or deer apocalypse that is going to suddenly turn Iowa into a vast wasteland where giants once roamed. This state has enough private property and available food to keep that from ever happening.

On the potential plus side. It could very well result in less “slinging” of lead and wounded deer. If someone wounds 3 that go off and die untagged before killing one that is 4 dead deer. If someone is allowed to use the proper tool for the job (aka rifle) there should be a overall increased recovery rate. Resulting in overall less deer killed.

But I think the root of this issue is people fear the bucks being killed. Not the overall number of deer. They have adopted the old man, shakes fist at the neighbor kids mentality of “get off my lawn and stop killing my bucks” attitude. There is no cure for that……only a place to complain.

x2.

The part I bolded first is probably the biggest reason I am for this. LOTS of deer (and yes, not just bucks but does too) get gut punched during the shotgun seasons and never seen again.

Second part I bolded, I think is exactly right. THAT is what people have against this. The reason folks got a bad taste about the centerfire rifle season we tried years back, was because that was a late antlerless season. As long as we aren’t killing a ton more does I really fail to see the big fear here.

People need to remember that the “glory days” of our herd, was probably too many deer. Deer hunting’s not supposed to be easy. The early 2000’s spoiled a LOT of people who think if they don’t see 15 bucks a day (and at least 5 of them shooters) or 40 does then the herd is “down.” Its absolutely preposterous. Probably the same folks who are saying these straight walled cartridges are going to decimate the herd.

I sure hope the ones saying rifles will make it “too easy” aren’t the ones meticulously calibrating their smokeless muzzy/optics combos and dialing them in at 400 yards. I don’t find a single thing wrong with using a smokeless muzzy but if you do, don’t make “rifles shoot too far” part of your argument against all this.

Participant

Spot on.

Participant

Spot on.

Agreed 100%

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Curious why 450 bushmaster isn’t on the list? It’s a straight-walled cartridge is it not? I’d buy one tomorrow if I knew I could legally hunt deer with it.

Participant

Quote by: topH20terror

Curious why 450 bushmaster isn’t on the list? It’s a straight-walled cartridge is it not? I’d buy one tomorrow if I knew I could legally hunt deer with it.

Not real sure either, and there are some uncommon cartridges on that list. Not even sure that the old pistol caliber list will be used???

Since the 450 bushmaster can be made with .284 Win cases the head stamp won’t help much. I would guess the average C.O. is not going to be up on all the ins and outs of wildcat turned mainstream cartridges anyway.

Participant

It will be interesting to see how this changes the dynamic of shotgun season. Our group has everything from smoothbore vent rib guns to Savage 220’s. Some guys are lobbing old school pumpkin balls right next to a guy shooting the fastest copper slug that can be found.

Participant

Looks like Ohio is going to update their regulations also.

Any straight wall case, minimum of .357 to a max of .515 diameter. That would lessen the confusion on all of the odd ball cartridges.

Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Any straight wall case, minimum of .357 to a max of .515 diameter. That would lessen the confusion on all of the odd ball cartridges.

Way to simple. Des Moines wound never write a law that simple. ๐Ÿ˜‰

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: kenhump

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Way too simple. Des Moines wound never write a law that simple. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m afraid you’re right. Why would they want to make something simple for a change? ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2″ groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

I see that Ruger also made that M77 bolt gun in 44M. They quit making them in 2016 but I found some new ones with camo stock and placed my order for one yesterday. I’m guessing when the word gets out these will disappear quickly.

โ€œSecond Amendment โ€“ Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?โ€ -- IAShooters

Participant

Quote by: ECFirearms

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2″ groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

I see that Ruger also made that M77 bolt gun in 44M. They quit making them in 2016 but I found some new ones with camo stock and placed my order for one yesterday. I’m guessing when the word gets out these will disappear quickly.

Yeah, I was surprised to see a couple of those still up for sale at some online retailers, but I’m guessing they will be gone soon if they aren’t already! Might make Ruger or other manufacturers think about getting back into the game. For now I’m plenty happy with a lever action. Anyone know if this bill has been signed by the Governor yet?

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

The Gov did some autographing yesterday.
    the BillBook says: 04/13/2017 Signed by Governor. H.J. 1009.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/pubs/hjweb/pdf/April%2013,%202017.pdf#page=13

โ€œSecond Amendment โ€“ Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?โ€ -- IAShooters

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

pulling a marlin 1894 44 mag out of moth balls, been there a couple of decades. I put a set of Warne steel scope mounts on the wishlist, looking at scope options now. Trying to decide between another small burris fastfire reddot (kids have one on a 22mag rifle) or a low magnification 1-4x scope (leopold vx-pig looks interesting) in Warne steel rings. Hmmmmm. Brush Gun. :mrgreen:

I’ll probably shoot 44mags in it, but also eyeing some 44 specials for the kids to shoot. I also put on a small limbsaver recoil pad. Should be a great youth setup for the kids and nostalgia setup for me. Love those hammer guns!

Participant

Quote by: scruffy

pulling a marlin 1894 44 mag out of moth balls, been there a couple of decades. I put a set of Warne steel scope mounts on the wishlist, looking at scope options now. Trying to decide between another small burris fastfire reddot (kids have one on a 22mag rifle) or a low magnification 1-4x scope (leopold vx-pig looks interesting) in Warne steel rings. Hmmmmm. Brush Gun. :mrgreen:

I’ll probably shoot 44mags in it, but also eyeing some 44 specials for the kids to shoot. I also put on a small limbsaver recoil pad. Should be a great youth setup for the kids and nostalgia setup for me. Love those hammer guns!

When I talked to him earlier this week, my Vortex sales rep said they have some 1-4X PST’s left. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.