Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle bill passes the Senate!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: Wallyman

…I can see 4 houses from my blind, but can’t reach any of them with my ML or slug gun, but give me high power…

For the love of everything holy, can we just call rifles that aren’t 22lrs or 17hmrs center fire rifles? I don’t know what a “High Power” rifle is. A center fire rifle is what I use to hunt game with.

I think the term “High Power” is purely an Iowa creation based on ignorance.

Participant

I see there are some disagreements as to the new “straight wall case” legislation. My only concern is that they can only be used by certain individuals during certain seasons. I think it should be the law of the land that anyone can use them during any season other than bow or black powder.

We aren’t getting any cartridge that isn’t already legal when used in a handgun. All we are getting is the right to use already legal cartridges in a easier to use and more stable platform which means more accuracy and less wounded game. Yes, the straight walled cartridge will have more velocity in a rifle but the best of them will hardly reach the 2000 fps available in the newer sabot shotgun shells and black powder rifles. When we have guys taking deer with in-line black powder rifles at 200 yds there is no reason to get upset with a guy that wants to shoot his .44 mag Winchester at 100 yds.

Lets face it guys, there is no such thing as a primitive season anymore. With in-lines using 3×9 scopes with range finders and compound bows that it took a rocket scientist to design shooting 300fps arrows the “primitive” season is totally corrupted. I’m not saying is doesn’t take skill to shoot a deer with a compound bow but we are just fooling ourselves if we think that compares with what our grandfathers did with re-curves and longbows.

With firearms that are currently legal I don’t see it as getting anything new, more dangerous to residents or “more lethal” to deer if you use a straight walled pistol case in a platform with a longer barrel. If we wanted to shake things up I’d like to see a actual primitive season. No in-lines, no scopes, loose powder and no compounds. Stick bows only. Let the crying begin!!!!

Participant

Quote by: karnivor

I’d like to see a actual primitive season. No in-lines, no scopes, loose powder and no compounds. Stick bows only. Let the crying begin!!!!

Kind of a neat idea. But next to impossible to enforce so I don’t see it happening.

Participant

“High power” is a term to differentiate between a rifle shooting a .44 mag at 1800 fps and a Model 70 rifle shooting a 300 win mag at 3000 fps. If we didn’t have terms like this then when we looked at a Prius and 700HP Dodge Challenger would we just call them both “Hot Rods” of both a “Family sedan. They are both cars but there is a difference.

Participant

“High power” is a term to differentiate between a rifle shooting a .44 mag at 1800 fps and a Model 70 rifle shooting a 300 win mag at 3000 fps. If we didn’t have terms like this then when we looked at a Prius and 700HP Dodge Challenger would we just call them both “Hot Rods” of both a “Family sedan. They are both cars but there is a difference.

I guess if we need to put some silly, arbitrary, definition like this to it then fine, but that means we can’t use “high power” rifles, so why are people crying? Wish I could use my 35 Remington and 32 Winchester, but they must be too “high power”. Oh well, I will happily tip some over with my 45-70. Can’t wait! Next thing I am gonna get is s “high power” smokeless muzzleloader and thunk some deer at 300+ yards!

Participant

There definitely is some serious opposition to this out there. I have a hard time believing that this will be the beginning of the end of deer hunting as we know it.

Participant

Quote by: Tin+Roof

There definitely is some serious opposition to this out there. I have a hard time believing that this will be the beginning of the end of deer hunting as we know it.

Holy smokes dude, quit stirring the pot. Why do people want to hunt Iowa? Because we are doing a pretty good job at managing what we have. Implementing new calibers, seasons, rules etc absolutely will have an impact. Whether it is a small or big impact, we can only guess but it WILL have an impact.

Participant

Quote by: deerhunter93

Holy smokes dude, quit stirring the pot. Why do people want to hunt Iowa? Because we are doing a pretty good job at managing what we have. Implementing new calibers, seasons, rules etc absolutely will have an impact. Whether it is a small or big impact, we can only guess but it WILL have an impact.

I don’t view Tin Roofs comment as stirring the pot.

Participant

Funny how the idea of “managing” the deer herd comes up quite often. Is that managing for horns? Or population? So is it the insurance companies, farmers, out of state money, bowhunters? Lots of people to keep happy, and each have their own agenda.

Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Funny how the idea of “managing” the deer herd comes up quite often. Is that managing for horns? Or population? So is it the insurance companies, farmers, out of state money, bowhunters? Lots of people to keep happy, and each have their own agenda.

Yep. We have to manage the herd to make sure the chosen few get the horns they want.

Participant

Quote by: Wallyman

I guess if we need to put some silly, arbitrary, definition like this to it then fine, but that means we can’t use “high power” rifles, so why are people crying? Wish I could use my 35 Remington and 32 Winchester, but they must be too “high power”. Oh well, I will happily tip some over with my 45-70. Can’t wait! Next thing I am gonna get is s “high power” smokeless muzzleloader and thunk some deer at 300+ yards!

If you read the other post it wasn’t about the approved straight wall calibers to be used, it was the post that mentioned that ANY rifle caliber will be next. Doesn’t matter if you don’t like the term high power because some of the larger calibers do shoot farther than the smaller calibers, it’s just a term that’s been around a long time and refers to a rifle capable of shooting long distances. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t recall a lot of snipers using 30 30 lever guns to shoot long ranges.

Participant

Not trying to get into any of these arguments, I am strictly curious, as I do not know much about straight wall cartridges. Is there advantage to the straight wall cartridges over a slug gun like the Savage 220? Besides price and recoil?

Thanks

Participant

Quote by: 10WAbuckhunter

Not trying to get into any of these arguments, I am strictly curious, as I do not know much about straight wall cartridges. Is there advantage to the straight wall cartridges over a slug gun like the Savage 220? Besides price and recoil?

Thanks

I think that price and recoil are the two main advantages of using straight walled cartridges over a slug gun, but those can be huge advantages. I am not aware of any other significant benefit to switching other than perhaps obtaining improved accuracy as a result of practicing more with cheaper ammo and less recoil. I think this opens the door for a lot more people, particularly our youth, to get into deer hunting.

Participant

There are no new calibers or seasons taking place. The only thing changing is allowing those ALREADY LEGAL cartridges to be used in rifles and handguns instead of just handguns. The herd will be just fine.

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

There are no new calibers or seasons taking place. The only thing changing is allowing those ALREADY LEGAL cartridges to be used in rifles and handguns instead of just handguns. The herd will be just fine.

I think he’s more making the “slippery slope” argument, that these handgun cartridges shot out of rifles won’t be the end of our herd, but in 5 years we will have centerfires legal statewide. That argument’s a little paranoid for my liking, as the state needs to manage deer VERY carefully, deer hunting is the only reason any one from out of state come here. Sure isn’t the pheasant hunting or the fishing.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.