Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle bill passes the Senate!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just don’t understand all the fear and vitriol of rifles in this state. Is it because we have only used shotguns and we fear change and have little first hand knowledge on actual usage of rifles in hunting applications? Shotguns where not originally designed for medium and large game, rifles were. Why not use the right tool for the job? People still won’t be able to gun hunt the rut, they still won’t be legally allowed to shoot across fence lines onto property they don’t have permission, shooting past 250 yards takes a lot more skill than most people think, not to mention in Iowa there are few places where you can get past 250 yards and still have a safe, ethical, and legal shot at a standing deer. I’m all for opening all rifles, but I understand that people fear change.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maverick

I just don’t understand all the fear and vitriol of rifles in this state. Is it because we have only used shotguns and we fear change and have little first hand knowledge on actual usage of rifles in hunting applications? Shotguns where not originally designed for medium and large game, rifles were. Why not use the right tool for the job? People still won’t be able to gun hunt the rut, they still won’t be legally allowed to shoot across fence lines onto property they don’t have permission, shooting past 250 yards takes a lot more skill than most people think, not to mention in Iowa there are few places where you can get past 250 yards and still have a safe, ethical, and legal shot at a standing deer. I’m all for opening all rifles, but I understand that people fear change.

Think about what you said about the 250 yard part? Yes it takes practice and yes a lot of places in Iowa is limited to be safe and ethical, you know if a person has a 30-06 and he see’s a monster at 400 yards, he’s taking the shot! I can see 4 houses from my blind, but can’t reach any of them with my ML or slug gun, but give me high power and they are now in the range. I just don’t see the bigger rifle calibers getting included during shotgun season with the number of people out hunting.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: iowavf

Think about what you said about the 250 yard part? Yes it takes practice and yes a lot of places in Iowa is limited to be safe and ethical, you know if a person has a 30-06 and he see’s a monster at 400 yards, he’s taking the shot! I can see 4 houses from my blind, but can’t reach any of them with my ML or slug gun, but give me high power and they are now in the range. I just don’t see the bigger rifle calibers getting included during shotgun season with the number of people out hunting.

I’m not trying to be snarky….but it’s simple hunter safety 101. Don’t shoot towards the houses. That rule should be followed whether you are holding a slug gun, a rifle, or a .22.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m right there with you. I’m all for opening up the December seasons to rifles, they are IMO the right tool for the job. There are already muzzle loaders now that can easily take deer at 500 yards and beyond in capable hands (“in capable hands” being the important part). My buddy took a doe @ 498 yards and I took one at between 415-420 with his muzzle loader this last late muzzle loader season, both one shot ethical kills.

That being said, I definitely have a decision to make on this next year’s deer gun for myself. I want to be able to use the same gun for shotgun and late muzzle loader season so I’ll probably end up with a 12-14 inch S&W 460 handgun to hunt with. I’ve used the 8-3/8″ version in the past with great results but would sure love to be able to stretch it out to 300-350 yards if the situation presents itself. Something about those big bore handguns just makes me smile. B) The longer barreled 45-70’s sure are tempting though. 😉

Participant
    Up
    Down

x2.

Slug guns being so ingrained in our culture would be like still using actual wooden woods on the golf course. Is it the way it’s “always been?” Yeah. Is it the best tool for the job? HARDLY. I’m not that old but I remember as a kid having wooden golf clubs. In my teens I got a set of the alloy oversized clubs. Night and day difference. We are being offered the Big Bertha driver and some of y’all are over there still willingly hacking away with your wood driver. I don’t get it. I’ve talked to a few folks in other states about this, and the unanimous verdict from them seems to be “Good for you guys, about dang time.” As others have mentioned too, as long as we don’t ever have a gun season during the rut, I really don’t see the “apocalypto” type attitude being worth much.

I also agree with the other post (didn’t quote it though) that said Hunters Safety 101 type stuff is responsible for properrty damage or lack thereof, not the caliber of the rifle being shot. Definitely agree.

People that say any 250+ yard gun is a herd decimating weapon of mass destruction…you either don’t know about or don’t understand smokeless muzzy’s. 250+ yard guns have been used here for a while now.

No one’s touched on this either, but I think we need to give a little credit to Iowa deer hunters, and the culture of deer hunting here. The degree of caution and skepticism in adopting this among hunters is good IMO, show’s people don’t want killing deer to get too easy. I rarely say that (and mostly I throw shade on deer hunting “culture”) but here in Iowa, I think most deer hunters really do care about the conservation and management of our herd. Yeah the “brown its down” guys are out there – legal so I really don’t care- but for the most part I think they are limited to or at least heavily concentrated in the shotgun seasons. I don’t know too many bow or muzzy guys that think that way, until the last day of the season maybe 😆 Point is, regardless of weaponry, I think for the most part we’ve got a state of fairly responsible, ethical deer hunters. Not like in the south where we run dogs, bait, use scoper high-powers and blast the crap out of every fork that comes running through. For the most part I feel like deer hunters here have a very steward like attitude towards our deer herd, and that’s great IMO.

nater3nater3
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: topH20terror

I’m right there with you. I’m all for opening up the December seasons to rifles, they are IMO the right tool for the job. There are already muzzle loaders now that can easily take deer at 500 yards and beyond in capable hands (“in capable hands” being the important part). My buddy took a doe @ 498 yards and I took one at between 415-420 with his muzzle loader this last late muzzle loader season, both one shot ethical kills.

That being said, I definitely have a decision to make on this next year’s deer gun for myself. I want to be able to use the same gun for shotgun and late muzzle loader season so I’ll probably end up with a 12-14 inch S&W 460 handgun to hunt with. I’ve used the 8-3/8″ version in the past with great results but would sure love to be able to stretch it out to 300-350 yards if the situation presents itself. Something about those big bore handguns just makes me smile. B) The longer barreled 45-70’s sure are tempting though. 😉

I was under the impression that handguns were not legal for use during late muzzle loader season. Am I wrong on that?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: nater3

Quote by: topH20terror

I was under the impression that handguns were not legal for use during late muzzle loader season. Am I wrong on that?

Handguns are legal for late muzzy not early.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Glad I got my 45-70 and 44 magnum before this bill passed. I don’t think it will make it impossible, but, I am glad I don’t have to worry. Just loaded up a bunch of 45-70 rounds last night and plan on getting to the range if it quits raining:)

Participant
    Up
    Down

You can use handguns for early muzz, just has to be a muzzle loading handgun. Centerfire are legal for late muzz.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: iowavf

I’m not trying to be snarky….but it’s simple hunter safety 101. Don’t shoot towards the houses. That rule should be followed whether you are holding a slug gun, a rifle, or a .22.

I wasn’t saying I shoot towards the houses, but using them for reference as to how much farther a large caliber rifle will travel compared to shotgun or ML. Sure there are ML capable of shooting 500 yards, but you only have one shot and usually when a person only has one, they tend to be a little more careful compared to having 5, 6, or even 8 rounds to shot in a few seconds.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The law doesn’t allow 30-06 and yet we continue to see the objections using the high velocity calibers as examples. This bill only includes calibers with similar ballistics to what we are already using. There is nothing before the legislature proposing high velocity calibers. Hunting situations that were safe and ethical using last year’s firearms options will remain safe and ethical using next year’s options assuming a safe and ethical hunter. As I said in a previous post, let’s not make this bill anything more than what it is.

It seems the label “rifle” is the hang up. My dictionary defines rifle as “a shoulder weapon with a rifled
    bore.” Given that definition my Auto 5 becomes a rifle every time I install the rifled deer barrel. Let’s don’t get hung up on labels. The ballistics are what separates calibers and the ballistics don’t change much with this bill.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Before you rush off to get a .44 mag, .41 mag is more accurate.
    Plus how dead can you kill a whitetail?

scruffyscruffy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m going to have to start saving my pennies for a scope for my marlin 44mag. Or I could take the 1.5-4.5×32 off my slug gun. 😈

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: kenhump

Before you rush off to get a .44 mag, .41 mag is more accurate.
    Plus how dead can you kill a whitetail?

There’s dead, and then there’s 45-70 dead.

Participant
    Up
    Down

…I can see 4 houses from my blind, but can’t reach any of them with my ML or slug gun, but give me high power…

For the love of everything holy, can we just call rifles that aren’t 22lrs or 17hmrs center fire rifles? I don’t know what a “High Power” rifle is. A center fire rifle is what I use to hunt game with.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve taken deer with both 44 mag (rifle and pistol) and 45-70. With the 44 rifle I was shooting a
    Hornady 240 XTP over a charge of 2400. The deer was facing me at 30 yds. I hit it in the front chest and the bullet traveled the full length of the body before breaking a hip and exiting. I was surprised by that much penetration but needless to say it didn’t go far. With the 45-70 I was shooting a Rem 300 HP over IMR 3031. Classic broadside shot on that one. I didn’t need to be an expert tracker to find either deer.

As far as accuracy, my Marlin (JM) guide gun will shoot one hole groups all day long.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Didn’t they open a rifle season for doe deer in some parts of Iowa a few years ago. Were there lots of problems? Growing up listening to discussion around the Sunday dinner table in Iowa 35 years ago it seemed the feelings​ were pretty anti rifle.

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Whip

Didn’t they open a rifle season for doe deer in some parts of Iowa a few years ago. Were there lots of problems? Growing up listening to discussion around the Sunday dinner table in Iowa 35 years ago it seemed the feelings� were pretty anti rifle.

Yes they had it only in the southern counties late in the season, I believe the restriction was .243 and larger. I dont remember hearing about people or buildings being shot but it wasnt long before they did away with it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: speng5

Quote by: Whip

Didn’t they open a rifle season for doe deer in some parts of Iowa a few years ago. Were there lots of problems? Growing up listening to discussion around the Sunday dinner table in Iowa 35 years ago it seemed the feelings� were pretty anti rifle.

Yes they had it only in the southern counties late in the season, I believe the restriction was .243 and larger. I dont remember hearing about people or buildings being shot but it wasnt long before they did away with it.

The late antlerless (shed) deer season? 😯

Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes whip there was a January rifle season (anterless only) for the southern two tiers of counties. The DNR eliminated that season several years ago. I hunted it for about 5 years with my lever actions and it was a lot of fun. I didn’t hear of any problems. As has been mentioned the only restrictions was 24 caliber and up. The bill going to the governor is much more restrictive on caliber. I have family in northern Missouri where rifles have been the norm for as long as I remember. I hunted Missouri as a non resident for several years. I’ve heard of very few problems there.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.