Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle bill passes the Senate!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: speng5

That is awesome news, still holding my breath for Branstad. Not saying he has any reason to nix this but knowing my luck, if I go out and buy that 45-70 I’ve always wanted, this will somehow get axed 😆

[/QUOTE

Don’t think it will be axed by the gov. But, if it is you will still have the 45-70 you’ve always wanted.

Participant

Quote by: deerhunter93

Bad news bears… this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I’m wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

By more rifles, do you mean eventually additional calibers? Because I don’t know about that… lot of gray area between a rifle that will take a deer at 200 yards and one that will take one at 400+ yards. Plus those weapons are already legal here in the form of smokeless muzzy’s. The way the centerfire season went over in southern Iowa years back, I’m not real worried that they are coming back any time soon.

Yes, I think that’s how it will end up. Hardly anything changes drastically with legislature, it’s normally a couple step process to get to the end goal. I believe this is the first step in eventually having all rifles be an option down the road.

Participant

Bad news bears… this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I’m wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

By more rifles, do you mean eventually additional calibers? Because I don’t know about that… lot of gray area between a rifle that will take a deer at 200 yards and one that will take one at 400+ yards. Plus those weapons are already legal here in the form of smokeless muzzy’s. The way the centerfire season went over in southern Iowa years back, I’m not real worried that they are coming back any time soon.

Yes, I think that’s how it will end up. Hardly anything changes drastically with legislature, it’s normally a couple step process to get to the end goal. I believe this is the first step in eventually having all rifles be an option down the road.

I’ll agree on the process thing. I do think that if the process comes to the point of full on rifle legalization, they will have one heck of a fight on their hands. Lots of folks that are A-Okay with this addition would really oppose all rifles legalized – myself included. I agree that might be a distant thought in some folks’ minds, only because there are many influential interests here that want less deer. With CWD here I would think the IDNR may at least have an open ear to letting a lot more deer be killed.

Participant

Be interesting to see where the line is drawn between straight wall pistol cartridges and rifle type cartridges. Maybe I will look into a double gun in .500 Boswell 😀

Also will be interesting as far as “expanding” type bullets. I would rather shoot cast through my lever guns.

Participant

While I would be interested in using rifles on some hunts, I can see where the Deer herd would suffer.

I like to hunt in the mood I am in. Like Squirrels for instance, some days it is a .45 flintlock, or open sight .22 single shot, or .22 pistol, or heavy barreled target rifle, etc. So for me, pistol caliber carbine would just be another tool to use.

Participant

I’ll agree on the process thing. I do think that if the process comes to the point of full on rifle legalization, they will have one heck of a fight on their hands. Lots of folks that are A-Okay with this addition would really oppose all rifles legalized – myself included. I agree that might be a distant thought in some folks’ minds, only because there are many influential interests here that want less deer. With CWD here I would think the IDNR may at least have an open ear to letting a lot more deer be killed.

Even if all rifles were somehow legalized at some point I have a hard time envisioning people allowing their use during the rut. It would likely still be limited to the current youth, disabled, and shotgun seasons. No guns during the rut is one of the main reasons Iowa is currently a pretty good place to hunt deer and I think it would really take something drastic to change that policy.

Participant

So, what the legislature is propsong is HANDGUNS using handgun caliber rifle bullet?

I guess I do not understand. With approval nobody will be shooting brass rifle bullets on Iowa soil—is that correct.

Somebody help me out on understanding this. This does not mean any real rifles?????? Robert

Participant

Quote by: rericsson

So, what the legislature is propsong is HANDGUNS using handgun caliber rifle bullet?

I guess I do not understand. With approval nobody will be shooting brass rifle bullets on Iowa soil—is that correct.

Somebody help me out on understanding this. This does not mean any real rifles?????? Robert

I think you are making this more complicated than it is. For an example a .44 mag lever gun like a Marlin 1894 or a Ruger 44 77, which is a bolt action .44 mag. Really not any improvement over muzzleoaders or rifled barrels in shotguns as far as range goes.

Participant

I would guess that like everything else, guys that want to get the most out of something will. Like smokeless muzzleloaders and 20 gauge bolt action slug guns that are optimized for range and accuracy. Some will want to go that far, but most will run a .357 or .44 mag levergun. Easy to get ammo and user friendly…

Participant

If .45 Bush Master is allowed at some point, I’m in. Otherwise I’ll stick to my federal sabots and scoped rifled barrel. If you have a rest and scope a sabot works out to 200 so this bill isn’t setting the world on fire by any means. I think everyone is just excited to have an excuse to buy a new toy

Participant

I just don’t understand all the fear and vitriol of rifles in this state. Is it because we have only used shotguns and we fear change and have little first hand knowledge on actual usage of rifles in hunting applications? Shotguns where not originally designed for medium and large game, rifles were. Why not use the right tool for the job? People still won’t be able to gun hunt the rut, they still won’t be legally allowed to shoot across fence lines onto property they don’t have permission, shooting past 250 yards takes a lot more skill than most people think, not to mention in Iowa there are few places where you can get past 250 yards and still have a safe, ethical, and legal shot at a standing deer. I’m all for opening all rifles, but I understand that people fear change.

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

I just don’t understand all the fear and vitriol of rifles in this state. Is it because we have only used shotguns and we fear change and have little first hand knowledge on actual usage of rifles in hunting applications? Shotguns where not originally designed for medium and large game, rifles were. Why not use the right tool for the job? People still won’t be able to gun hunt the rut, they still won’t be legally allowed to shoot across fence lines onto property they don’t have permission, shooting past 250 yards takes a lot more skill than most people think, not to mention in Iowa there are few places where you can get past 250 yards and still have a safe, ethical, and legal shot at a standing deer. I’m all for opening all rifles, but I understand that people fear change.

Think about what you said about the 250 yard part? Yes it takes practice and yes a lot of places in Iowa is limited to be safe and ethical, you know if a person has a 30-06 and he see’s a monster at 400 yards, he’s taking the shot! I can see 4 houses from my blind, but can’t reach any of them with my ML or slug gun, but give me high power and they are now in the range. I just don’t see the bigger rifle calibers getting included during shotgun season with the number of people out hunting.

Participant

Quote by: iowavf

Think about what you said about the 250 yard part? Yes it takes practice and yes a lot of places in Iowa is limited to be safe and ethical, you know if a person has a 30-06 and he see’s a monster at 400 yards, he’s taking the shot! I can see 4 houses from my blind, but can’t reach any of them with my ML or slug gun, but give me high power and they are now in the range. I just don’t see the bigger rifle calibers getting included during shotgun season with the number of people out hunting.

I’m not trying to be snarky….but it’s simple hunter safety 101. Don’t shoot towards the houses. That rule should be followed whether you are holding a slug gun, a rifle, or a .22.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

I’m right there with you. I’m all for opening up the December seasons to rifles, they are IMO the right tool for the job. There are already muzzle loaders now that can easily take deer at 500 yards and beyond in capable hands (“in capable hands” being the important part). My buddy took a doe @ 498 yards and I took one at between 415-420 with his muzzle loader this last late muzzle loader season, both one shot ethical kills.

That being said, I definitely have a decision to make on this next year’s deer gun for myself. I want to be able to use the same gun for shotgun and late muzzle loader season so I’ll probably end up with a 12-14 inch S&W 460 handgun to hunt with. I’ve used the 8-3/8″ version in the past with great results but would sure love to be able to stretch it out to 300-350 yards if the situation presents itself. Something about those big bore handguns just makes me smile. B) The longer barreled 45-70’s sure are tempting though. 😉

Participant

x2.

Slug guns being so ingrained in our culture would be like still using actual wooden woods on the golf course. Is it the way it’s “always been?” Yeah. Is it the best tool for the job? HARDLY. I’m not that old but I remember as a kid having wooden golf clubs. In my teens I got a set of the alloy oversized clubs. Night and day difference. We are being offered the Big Bertha driver and some of y’all are over there still willingly hacking away with your wood driver. I don’t get it. I’ve talked to a few folks in other states about this, and the unanimous verdict from them seems to be “Good for you guys, about dang time.” As others have mentioned too, as long as we don’t ever have a gun season during the rut, I really don’t see the “apocalypto” type attitude being worth much.

I also agree with the other post (didn’t quote it though) that said Hunters Safety 101 type stuff is responsible for properrty damage or lack thereof, not the caliber of the rifle being shot. Definitely agree.

People that say any 250+ yard gun is a herd decimating weapon of mass destruction…you either don’t know about or don’t understand smokeless muzzy’s. 250+ yard guns have been used here for a while now.

No one’s touched on this either, but I think we need to give a little credit to Iowa deer hunters, and the culture of deer hunting here. The degree of caution and skepticism in adopting this among hunters is good IMO, show’s people don’t want killing deer to get too easy. I rarely say that (and mostly I throw shade on deer hunting “culture”) but here in Iowa, I think most deer hunters really do care about the conservation and management of our herd. Yeah the “brown its down” guys are out there – legal so I really don’t care- but for the most part I think they are limited to or at least heavily concentrated in the shotgun seasons. I don’t know too many bow or muzzy guys that think that way, until the last day of the season maybe 😆 Point is, regardless of weaponry, I think for the most part we’ve got a state of fairly responsible, ethical deer hunters. Not like in the south where we run dogs, bait, use scoper high-powers and blast the crap out of every fork that comes running through. For the most part I feel like deer hunters here have a very steward like attitude towards our deer herd, and that’s great IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.