Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle bill passes the Senate!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2″ groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

Ruger recently came out with 3 rifles in 450 Bushmaster. The American is a reasonable priced entry level rifle. They also have Gunsite Scout Rifle and the No.1 Rifle in 450 Bushmaster. May be an interesting option.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant
    Up
    Down

So if you own a 30-06 is there some speical cartricge you can use in that rifle ? Not familoiar with this. Since there is rifling in the barrel. Robert

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2″ groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

Accuracy within 200 yards is fine, but past that is when the cartridge looses the energy to be effective. These pistol chambered rifles aren’t going to give much benefit over the weapons currently allowed aside from reduced recoil ( in some applications) and cost of ammunition. The amount of bullet drop from these pistol cartridges really starts to show at any extended range.

Accuracy of the 450 Bushmaster out to 250 yards is a giant step up versus slugs, bullet drop at 200 yards is about 3 inches and at 250 yards is around 12 inches, another giant step up versus slugs. 50 Beowulf performs even better. Cost of ammo is going to be more than slugs but you should need quite a few less rounds. Granted its not a true center-fire rifle caliber like a .308, 7mm, 243, with much better ballistics, but its a step in the right direction IMHO.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: ECFirearms

Accuracy within 200 yards is fine, but past that is when the cartridge looses the energy to be effective. These pistol chambered rifles aren’t going to give much benefit over the weapons currently allowed aside from reduced recoil ( in some applications) and cost of ammunition. The amount of bullet drop from these pistol cartridges really starts to show at any extended range.

Accuracy of the 450 Bushmaster out to 250 yards is a giant step up versus slugs, bullet drop at 200 yards is about 3 inches and at 250 yards is around 12 inches, another giant step up versus slugs. 50 Beowulf performs even better. Cost of ammo is going to be more than slugs but you should need quite a few less rounds. Granted its not a true center-fire rifle caliber like a .308, 7mm, 243, with much better ballistics, but its a step in the right direction IMHO.

Is the 450 bushmaster going to be on the list?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: deerhunter93

Bad news bears… this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I’m wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

x2

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: ECFirearms

Is the 450 bushmaster going to be on the list?

Here is the list from the current regs. I didn’t see anything that said this list would not be accurate with the new bill so I’d say no.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I looked at the current list, but I didn’t know if the new bill added or subtracted any calibers.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Probably not for me either since I use my ML during shotgun season and sit in the same blind during late ML. I suppose in the future if I run across one for a good buy on a lever rifle I might.

Participant
    Up
    Down

What is commonly defined as an “expanding-type bullet”? Essentially all bullets expand on impact! 😀 :mrgreen: I assume it is commonly understood to mean that it needs to be a hollow metal point and this requirement would also apply when used in rifles?

nater3nater3
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Placed an order for a Henry Big Boy Steel 44 Mag/Sp rifle today! Was planning on buying one soon anyway, but with the impending shortage of availability, I figured I better order it today! 🙂 Great price on Bud’s Guns

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: speng5

That is awesome news, still holding my breath for Branstad. Not saying he has any reason to nix this but knowing my luck, if I go out and buy that 45-70 I’ve always wanted, this will somehow get axed 😆

[/QUOTE

Don’t think it will be axed by the gov. But, if it is you will still have the 45-70 you’ve always wanted.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Bad news bears… this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I’m wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

By more rifles, do you mean eventually additional calibers? Because I don’t know about that… lot of gray area between a rifle that will take a deer at 200 yards and one that will take one at 400+ yards. Plus those weapons are already legal here in the form of smokeless muzzy’s. The way the centerfire season went over in southern Iowa years back, I’m not real worried that they are coming back any time soon.

Yes, I think that’s how it will end up. Hardly anything changes drastically with legislature, it’s normally a couple step process to get to the end goal. I believe this is the first step in eventually having all rifles be an option down the road.

Participant
    Up
    Down

By more rifles, do you mean eventually additional calibers? Because I don’t know about that… lot of gray area between a rifle that will take a deer at 200 yards and one that will take one at 400+ yards. Plus those weapons are already legal here in the form of smokeless muzzy’s. The way the centerfire season went over in southern Iowa years back, I’m not real worried that they are coming back any time soon.

Yes, I think that’s how it will end up. Hardly anything changes drastically with legislature, it’s normally a couple step process to get to the end goal. I believe this is the first step in eventually having all rifles be an option down the road.

I’ll agree on the process thing. I do think that if the process comes to the point of full on rifle legalization, they will have one heck of a fight on their hands. Lots of folks that are A-Okay with this addition would really oppose all rifles legalized – myself included. I agree that might be a distant thought in some folks’ minds, only because there are many influential interests here that want less deer. With CWD here I would think the IDNR may at least have an open ear to letting a lot more deer be killed.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Be interesting to see where the line is drawn between straight wall pistol cartridges and rifle type cartridges. Maybe I will look into a double gun in .500 Boswell 😀

Also will be interesting as far as “expanding” type bullets. I would rather shoot cast through my lever guns.

Participant
    Up
    Down

While I would be interested in using rifles on some hunts, I can see where the Deer herd would suffer.

I like to hunt in the mood I am in. Like Squirrels for instance, some days it is a .45 flintlock, or open sight .22 single shot, or .22 pistol, or heavy barreled target rifle, etc. So for me, pistol caliber carbine would just be another tool to use.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ll agree on the process thing. I do think that if the process comes to the point of full on rifle legalization, they will have one heck of a fight on their hands. Lots of folks that are A-Okay with this addition would really oppose all rifles legalized – myself included. I agree that might be a distant thought in some folks’ minds, only because there are many influential interests here that want less deer. With CWD here I would think the IDNR may at least have an open ear to letting a lot more deer be killed.

Even if all rifles were somehow legalized at some point I have a hard time envisioning people allowing their use during the rut. It would likely still be limited to the current youth, disabled, and shotgun seasons. No guns during the rut is one of the main reasons Iowa is currently a pretty good place to hunt deer and I think it would really take something drastic to change that policy.

Participant
    Up
    Down

So, what the legislature is propsong is HANDGUNS using handgun caliber rifle bullet?

I guess I do not understand. With approval nobody will be shooting brass rifle bullets on Iowa soil—is that correct.

Somebody help me out on understanding this. This does not mean any real rifles?????? Robert

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: rericsson

So, what the legislature is propsong is HANDGUNS using handgun caliber rifle bullet?

I guess I do not understand. With approval nobody will be shooting brass rifle bullets on Iowa soil—is that correct.

Somebody help me out on understanding this. This does not mean any real rifles?????? Robert

I think you are making this more complicated than it is. For an example a .44 mag lever gun like a Marlin 1894 or a Ruger 44 77, which is a bolt action .44 mag. Really not any improvement over muzzleoaders or rifled barrels in shotguns as far as range goes.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I would guess that like everything else, guys that want to get the most out of something will. Like smokeless muzzleloaders and 20 gauge bolt action slug guns that are optimized for range and accuracy. Some will want to go that far, but most will run a .357 or .44 mag levergun. Easy to get ammo and user friendly…

Participant
    Up
    Down

If .45 Bush Master is allowed at some point, I’m in. Otherwise I’ll stick to my federal sabots and scoped rifled barrel. If you have a rest and scope a sabot works out to 200 so this bill isn’t setting the world on fire by any means. I think everyone is just excited to have an excuse to buy a new toy

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.