Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Rifle bill passes the Senate!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Bad news bears… this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I’m wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

Participant

Quote by: deerhunter93

Bad news bears… this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I’m wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

By more rifles, do you mean eventually additional calibers? Because I don’t know about that… lot of gray area between a rifle that will take a deer at 200 yards and one that will take one at 400+ yards. Plus those weapons are already legal here in the form of smokeless muzzy’s. The way the centerfire season went over in southern Iowa years back, I’m not real worried that they are coming back any time soon.

Participant

I get shooting a muzzle loader sucks and I hate cleaning it myself.

My kids practice more with a 22 than any other rifle. Cheap to shoot, quite (suppressed now which is awesome) and just fun as hell to shoot. If becoming a better shooter or just learning to shoot is your #1 goal you can pretty much get that out of a 22.

We do shoot the AR’s a lot also. I think they are more fun.

Participant

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2″ groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2″ groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

Accuracy within 200 yards is fine, but past that is when the cartridge looses the energy to be effective. These pistol chambered rifles aren’t going to give much benefit over the weapons currently allowed aside from reduced recoil ( in some applications) and cost of ammunition. The amount of bullet drop from these pistol cartridges really starts to show at any extended range.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Ruger recently came out with 3 rifles in 450 Bushmaster. The American is a reasonable priced entry level rifle. They also have Gunsite Scout Rifle and the No.1 Rifle in 450 Bushmaster. May be an interesting option.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

So if you own a 30-06 is there some speical cartricge you can use in that rifle ? Not familoiar with this. Since there is rifling in the barrel. Robert

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Accuracy within 200 yards is fine, but past that is when the cartridge looses the energy to be effective. These pistol chambered rifles aren’t going to give much benefit over the weapons currently allowed aside from reduced recoil ( in some applications) and cost of ammunition. The amount of bullet drop from these pistol cartridges really starts to show at any extended range.

Accuracy of the 450 Bushmaster out to 250 yards is a giant step up versus slugs, bullet drop at 200 yards is about 3 inches and at 250 yards is around 12 inches, another giant step up versus slugs. 50 Beowulf performs even better. Cost of ammo is going to be more than slugs but you should need quite a few less rounds. Granted its not a true center-fire rifle caliber like a .308, 7mm, 243, with much better ballistics, but its a step in the right direction IMHO.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

Quote by: ECFirearms

Accuracy of the 450 Bushmaster out to 250 yards is a giant step up versus slugs, bullet drop at 200 yards is about 3 inches and at 250 yards is around 12 inches, another giant step up versus slugs. 50 Beowulf performs even better. Cost of ammo is going to be more than slugs but you should need quite a few less rounds. Granted its not a true center-fire rifle caliber like a .308, 7mm, 243, with much better ballistics, but its a step in the right direction IMHO.

Is the 450 bushmaster going to be on the list?

Participant

Quote by: deerhunter93

x2

Participant

Quote by: ECFirearms

Is the 450 bushmaster going to be on the list?

Here is the list from the current regs. I didn’t see anything that said this list would not be accurate with the new bill so I’d say no.

Participant

I looked at the current list, but I didn’t know if the new bill added or subtracted any calibers.

Participant

Probably not for me either since I use my ML during shotgun season and sit in the same blind during late ML. I suppose in the future if I run across one for a good buy on a lever rifle I might.

Participant

What is commonly defined as an “expanding-type bullet”? Essentially all bullets expand on impact! 😀 :mrgreen: I assume it is commonly understood to mean that it needs to be a hollow metal point and this requirement would also apply when used in rifles?

nater3nater3
    Participant

Placed an order for a Henry Big Boy Steel 44 Mag/Sp rifle today! Was planning on buying one soon anyway, but with the impending shortage of availability, I figured I better order it today! 🙂 Great price on Bud’s Guns

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.