Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Researching .44 magnum Rugers…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

So Ruger manufactured three rifles chambered in .44 magnum.

Ruger 96/44 lever action
    Ruger Deerfield carbine
    Ruger 77/44

All have received rave reviews over time according to online boards, and I was wondering if anybody on here has any first hand experience? I’m not sure I want to spend more than $700 for a used model when i can get a new Henry lever gun for less. However, I could be persuaded if these guns are really that good.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Have owned several .44 mag rifles. The Ruger Deerfield Auto was a good little rifle, only reason I sold it was because it wouldn’t shoot any of my reloads reliably. And I couldn’t shoot my cast lead bullets. It would shoot 3″ groups at 50 yds with Remington soft nose 240 gr Factory loads. I could do that with my scoped S&W 629 revolver, using any of my reloads. I owned one Marlin leveraction and two Winchester trapper series rifles. All of which wouldn’t shoot much better than 3″ at fifty yards. Never tried a bolt gun in .44, but I think it would do better than any of the others. The .44 mag is a great pistol cartridge, but coming out of a rifle it is limited on accuracy IMO.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have the carbine, shots good enough but seems to be prone to jamming if not super clean. Had shot it sighting in a bit with a new scope this fall and shot it again day before season 1 and was jamming up bad so never took it out this year, was really looking forward to it. Next year….

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thx for the feedback guys. Bought a CVA Hunter this fall and it shoots lights out and was looking to get something more than a single shot. With off the shelf Federal 240 grain JHP it shoots 1″ groups at 50 and 100 yards. However, if I want more capacity it sounds like I should probably stick with the CVA and go revolver shopping… 😈

Participant
    Up
    Down

The 77/44 rifles are really nice!

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CRIA1576

So Ruger manufactured three rifles chambered in .44 magnum.

Ruger 96/44 lever action
    Ruger Deerfield carbine
    Ruger 77/44

All have received rave reviews over time according to online boards, and I was wondering if anybody on here has any first hand experience? I’m not sure I want to spend more than $700 for a used model when i can get a new Henry lever gun for less. However, I could be persuaded if these guns are really that good.

I hunted with the 77/44 bolt action rifle this year. reliable and accurate. IMHO much easier to mount a scope on than a lever action and less prone to feed problems than the carbine.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant
    Up
    Down

That thing is pretty awesome, and I would have to see if they sold it in LH configuration. Thanks!

Participant
    Up
    Down

CRIA1576, I was wondering how the CVA shot. They seem like they are a good deal on Buds. Thanks for posting that.

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Out of curiosity what do those ruger 77/44 cost? Ive got the 77/22 wmr and wouldnt part with it for anything but i also dont think i could afford to buy another. Ive had mine for close to 20 years i think. Is the recoil pretty manageable for a young shooter?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bullhead44

Out of curiosity what do those ruger 77/44 cost? Ive got the 77/22 wmr and wouldnt part with it for anything but i also dont think i could afford to buy another. Ive had mine for close to 20 years i think. Is the recoil pretty manageable for a young shooter?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70302/Ruger+77%2F44+Sporter+44+Rem+Mag%2C+Blued%2C+American+Walnut+w%2F+Sights

Participant
    Up
    Down

Seaguar- You’re welcome! Any time bud!

Bull- My daughters are 10 and 12 and the only experience they had shooting rifles prior to the .44 mag was .22 LR and 20 gauge bird shot loads in a Mossberg bantam. According to them the .44 mag kicks half as much as the 20 gauge., and it is really fun to shoot. During practice sessions, we typically shot 3 5-shot groups each, and they never got fatigued or kicked around. When we went hunting, they both placed their rounds perfectly on broadside and slightly quartering deer. With such mild recoil they were able to shoot the gun without flinching; observing good follow through and putting rounds down range with precision to facilitate clean, ethical, kills.

Regarding the 77/44 left hand options, there aren’t any available. Ruger does sell a LH American rifle in .450 BM, but I don’t want to have another caliber to buy separate ammo for, especially after seeing .44 mag performance with the JHP.

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My girls are still pretty young, the oldest is 8. Id figure her length of pull for around 9.5 inches. I cant find anything that size but maybe when she gets a bit bigger thatll be the gun i buy. Thanks for the reply it can be mind boggling trying to find a deer capable gun for little people! Lol

Participant
    Up
    Down

Cabelas had the stainless barrel, synthetic stock version on sale for $450 in November. They sold out in two days.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant
    Up
    Down

as low as $651 at my shop for the 77/44. (which is local by the way)
    The camo version that cabelas sold was a close out item and a heck of a deal.
    Volquartsen (also local) had a trigger upgrade for the 77/22 that fits on the 77/44.
    Recoil is manageable, but really all recoil is manageable depending on the shooter’s training.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: ECFirearms

Volquartsen (also local) had a trigger upgrade for the 77/22 that fits on the 77/44.

Where is your shop located?

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: ECFirearms

Where is your shop located?

TeamAsgrow PM sent.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Did not come through. I do not use the email I have affiliated with my IS account.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.