Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing Reports?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone seeing any carp yet? I’m getting the itch pretty bad. Central iowa is where I bow fish.

Participant

If you have the itch then scratch it. It’s the only way to feel better.

Participant

Friend of mine shot a new state record grass carp about a week ago, 70 lb., 4 feet long, not sure where he was when he shot it.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Quote by: tracyiowa53

Friend of mine shot a new state record grass carp about a week ago, 70 lb., 4 feet long, not sure where he was when he shot it.

Was his name Justin?

Participant

Saw some pics of a friend of mine that got over 100 today. NE Iowa

stick500stick500
    Participant

Quote by: Duckhunter1

Saw some pics of a friend of mine that got over 100 today. NE Iowa

Mississippi River? Stream? Lake? Corn field? Ditch? Night? Day?

A few hints will help tell us the conditions where the action currently is. πŸ™‚

I saw some small ones getting warm under algae mats in the shallows of a city lake in Dubuque on Saturday when the sun was out. Took a few shots and forgot that I actually have to aim! I think I cleared the rust out of my head and will be ready when I see some big ones.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

We keep up these sunny warm days, I would bet the carp and gar will be working the shallows very soon. Normally mid May is prime time. The key, find the warmest water you can find on any given body of water that has rough fish present. Small creeks feeding rivers will warm up much faster than the main river, very good spots to find fish.

Participant

Quote by: bowfisher

We keep up these sunny warm days, I would bet the carp and gar will be working the shallows very soon. Normally mid May is prime time. The key, find the warmest water you can find on any given body of water that has rough fish present. Small creeks feeding rivers will warm up much faster than the main river, very good spots to find fish.

Around Iowa City it sure looks like prime time is beginning. This weekend I fished a local river backwater that under the conditions we have now, is probably 2-4 feet deep in most spots. Hard to tell as the water is high and very muddy/lots of crap in it but they are definitely in shallow, out of the main channel and into the backwaters.

I also went to a local pit to try for some trout, thought I finally hooked that brood stocker of a lifetime only to see I had snagged a carp with my crappie jig right under the eye. Quite the fight on my ultra light, good thing it was a little one. But anyway, at the pit I was at there were a TON of them in shallow, they stuck out very well against the sand bottom in clear water. I would think if you have access to a pit with carp or buffalo you would really be able to get after them…

Participant

Was his name Justin?

Yes.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Was his name Justin?

Yes.

I know him rather well. πŸ˜‰

Participant

Went out to saylorville last night. Lots of carp moving around the flooded grass area. Only got one in the boat due to the murkiness. Still felt good to let some arrows fly.

stick500stick500
    Participant

I imagine the current cold, wet weather has sent the carp back to the deep water for awhile.

Hopefully we’ll find some action after Memorial day

basspro23basspro23
    Participant

I’ve been nailing the carp at Waterworks park. They are right next to the shoreline. You can hear the sucking noise when they rise out of the water. Here is a mirror carp I shot out there!

Participant

Quote by: basspro23

I’ve been nailing the carp at Waterworks park. They are right next to the shoreline. You can hear the sucking noise when they rise out of the water. Here is a mirror carp I shot out there!

Nice work! I don’t bow fish often but shooting one of those is on my bucket list. I think carp are hideous creatures but I do find those mirrors fascination for some reason.

stick500stick500
    Participant

Carp aren’t hideous! They provide most of my recreation! Γ°ΕΈβ€˜Ε’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.