Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating replacing carpet with vinyl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone ever replaced their carpet with marine vinyl themselves? Is it much of a job? Any suggestions on where to get the vinyl?
    Thanks in advance!

kelkel
    Participant

Anyone?

Participant

My boat had vinyl in it when I got it and I carpeted over it, it was TERRIBLE. It gets so hot itll burn you in the summer, anything spilled in the boat just sits on top of it for a while until it decides to soak in, any spot where a fish laid turns into a huge mess and once it gets s little tear in it, it starts peeling up and wont stop.

I know thats not what you asked, but I wanted to throw it out there.

Participant

wouldn’t it be slick as hell too?

Participant

Quote by: klub222

wouldn’t it be slick as hell too?

You would think, I honestly didnt leave it for long enough to find anymore problems with it.

Participant

I had a Lund Pro V that I had to replace the flooring and upper deck and decided to use vinyl instead of carpet. I purchased the vinyl from Cabelas and I was very happy with it. It comes in 6′ widths but I did each panel on the floor individually so as to access the fuel tank if needed. The floor was three pieces and the deck was one piece as the access doors for storage were surface mounted so it made it easy. The floor can be slippery if you wear the wrong kind of shoes and the floor is wet. I liked the vinyl as you could wash out the boat and keep things clean. Carpet looks great when new but if you get blood, fish slim, wiper poop, or just plain dirt, it starts looking bad quickly. I spoke with a guy who replaced the floor in his boat and used a bed liner type paint on his floor and it looked very nice also.

Participant

Quote by: SteveZ

I had a Lund Pro V that I had to replace the flooring and upper deck and decided to use vinyl instead of carpet. I purchased the vinyl from Cabelas and I was very happy with it. It comes in 6′ widths but I did each panel on the floor individually so as to access the fuel tank if needed. The floor was three pieces and the deck was one piece as the access doors for storage were surface mounted so it made it easy. The floor can be slippery if you wear the wrong kind of shoes and the floor is wet. I liked the vinyl as you could wash out the boat and keep things clean. Carpet looks great when new but if you get blood, fish slim, wiper poop, or just plain dirt, it starts looking bad quickly. I spoke with a guy who replaced the floor in his boat and used a bed liner type paint on his floor and it looked very nice also.

my buddy sprayed his big john boat/duck blind with that bed liner stuff. it makes it AWESOME for when you get mud in there.

Participant

I have a Lund I bought new 6 years ago and ordered it with vinyl instead of carpet. And I’m sure glad I did even though this option cost me an extra $400.00. Mine doesn’t get hot or slick and washes much easier than carpet. Doubt I’ll ever have carpet again, but if I had a johnboat that bedliner looks great.

Participant

One of the nice things about the bed liner is that it somewhat sound proofs the boat also. Not near the noise when you drop something on the floor.

Participant

Sent you an email.

Participant

I have had both carpet in my old boat. And now have vinyl in my current boat. I will take the vinyl everytime !!!!!!!! The spray bedliner does sound like a good option !!!!! ( sorry I can’t help you with your original question )

Participant

Had carpet in my alumacraft and now vinyl in my Lund Alaskan (standard in this boat) – wouldn’t buy anything but vinyl from now on.

Participant

Ok so I have been living in a cave for awhile. What is vinyl flooring in a boat. All I can see is vinyl flooring in a kitchen. LOL Please educate me. It does sound interesting from what I have read so far. Any links?

Danny

Participant

I’m thinking the vinyl stuff that was in my boat may be different than the new stuff. Mines a 1971 that I put a bunch of work into, and the vinyl that was in it was the original flooring.. The flooring that was in it sucked to the point that if we were talking about the same stuff you guys would agree. So as it turns out, my opinion may be invalid (for once).

Participant

You may need to use larger pieces of wood to take up the thickness differences of the carpet. I know a marine business owner that has replaced the carpet on a few and mentioned it gets pretty tricky sometimes getting the pieces cut just right for a nice clean fit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.