Home Forums Hunting Firearms Reloading equipment for beginner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

About to jump in to reloading. What are the things I should get? I know lee loaders are cheaper than other loaders but I think I have decided to get the Lee 1000 progressive press. Is there anything else I should buy to help me get started? I will only be loading .40s&w. Also is there anything wrong with cast lead bullets for semi-auto pistols? Looks like the cast bullets are much cheaper to buy and maybe someday make. Any suggestions on good places to get cheap powder,brass,bullets, or primers would be greatly apreciated. I do not know of any shooting ranges in my area otherwise I would ask them. If using once fired brass do I need to buy a tumbler? How many times can you reload 1 brass shell?

Thanks in advance for all answers.

Participant

Tak I just started reloading brass myself. I have been reloading shotshells for some time now. I was lucky to “inherit” most of my reloading stuff. Get what ever loader your happy with. You will also need to buy the dies for the 40 cal. If you buy a carbide set you will not have to lube the cases, which will save some time any money. That is what I bought and spent like 40 bucks on the set. It is a 3 piece set. You also need a good scale. You can pour the powder out by hand or buy a dispenser. Right now I’m pouring out by hand with a funnel but its takes alot of extra time. The next thing I invest in will be a dispenser. Either way it would be nice to buy a trickler, 20 bucks. That will put powder in by a grain at a time. That lets you get your powder load precise every time. You will also need a tumbler, and some media. I have a tool to place primers out of the loader. It will hold alot of primers at one time so you can move faster. They are also pretty cheap. For the loader and the hand primer you will need a case holder specific to your caliber, pretty cheap though. You will also need to have a reloaders manual. You can get free phamplets at shops but I’d invest in a Speer manual. I bought a bunch of really small totes as Wallyworld for a dollor a piece. I do one stage of reloading at a time and this keeps stages seperate. One other thing I would get right away is a caliper. You can get one cheaper from a part store than a gun shop. I bought mine for $40 from Advanced Auto. Its digital, which is what you want. You have to know your COL (cartridge overall length) for reloading to get pressures right. Everything else I’ve listed I got from Sportsmans Warehouse. As far as primers and stuff I buy them there also. To ship primers and powder you would have to pay an extra hazmat fee and unless your buying huge barrels your not going to save any money. A 5lb tub at Sportmans is around $70. I don’t buy unloaded brass. I buy the 100 round boxes from Wallyworld and just reload those right now. I don’t do any benchrest shooting so I don’t need fancy loads, those cases work just fine for me. If you run cast bullets in your gun be ready to do a lot of cleaning. They can foul your barrel unless they are copper covered. I haven’t looked into this alot yet so you might want a different opinion. Your question about the tumbler. I would get one. Your brass will fall on the ground, unless your very fast. How much dirt are you willing to allow through you gun. You can find cheap tumblers. I have reloaded brass many many times. I don’t even keep track. The thing is you don’t want them to get to long. This is more of a worry for high powered rifles than handguns. Again the calipers will help you here also.

Here is the list I have
    Loader
    Scale
    Tumbler
    Die
    Powder Trickler
    Funnel set
    Caliper
    Loading Block–hold cases while you load them
    Hand primer
    Bullet Lube
    Cheap totes

I think that all. Seems like alot but you can find some stuff pretty cheap. If you want to know anything else I can tell you just send a pm

Participant

I am kind of like you.Just starting to investigate it.I have loaded shotgun shells for years,but don’t do a lot of that anymore.I would only load 45 and was kind of looking at a dillon square deal.Set up for one caliber only.I have a line on a 550 dillon with a bunch of goodies,but I don’t want to buy all the other dies with it.I think you can load brass a number of times and it just depends on the weapon wether or not they like lead. I don’t do a lot of shooting yet,but may do more if I could do it cheaper.90 bucks for 250 rounds is a lot.The same box a couple of years ago was 50.

Participant

Quote by: orngruffee

I am kind of like you.Just starting to investigate it.I have loaded shotgun shells for years,but don’t do a lot of that anymore.I would only load 45 and was kind of looking at a dillon square deal.Set up for one caliber only.I have a line on a 550 dillon with a bunch of goodies,but I don’t want to buy all the other dies with it.I think you can load brass a number of times and it just depends on the weapon wether or not they like lead. I don’t do a lot of shooting yet,but may do more if I could do it cheaper.90 bucks for 250 rounds is a lot.The same box a couple of years ago was 50.

cant beat dillon square deal for only loading one or 2 calibers. easy to change, just get a different plate. if you got a line on the 550 do it. you wont regret it, i got a lee, rockchucker and a squredeal. the dillon is the only one i use. the others collect dust. -chris

Participant

I really like the the lee powder measure, if yo don’t end up with a progressive, it drops accurate every time, even with extruded powders, which you won’t be using in pistols. We used to shoot a ton of cast in the autos, but you have to run a couple of full metal jackets every now and then to clean the lead out of them, and clean them thoroughly with a lead solvent when done.

larry

Participant

Do the progressive presses deprime brass or do you have to deprime brass by hand?

Participant

yes they deprime usually the one die will size and deprime!

Participant

Quote by: takasaki

Do the progressive presses deprime brass or do you have to deprime brass by hand?

click the pic

-chris

Participant

When buying and reloading brass does brass or nickel cases make any difference? Also does anyone know if Drifty still casts lead bullets? I heard there was a guy around clear lake that sells cast lead bullets for $.04/piece. Anyone know the persons name?
    Thanks for all the help so far.

Participant

Nickel plated is supposed to be more durable and easier on the sizer??? As to this I dont know as I only have loaded nickel for 7mm mag and I have noticed no difference just that the nickel looks cooler! :mrgreen: B)

Participant

Anyone have and loads or info on hodgdon universal in .40s&w using 180gr. lead cast tc or 180gr. hp/xtp’s?

Participant

I can get ya some ya want it now?

Participant

You might try accurate #5 thats what I use though for 40! 🙂

drifty4drifty4
    Participant

takasaki;

I still make bullets, but only enough to keep myself loaded up. I don’t have the time to do a lot.

As for your data request, try this link.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/index.php

or this one.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Index.htm

You should find a load there that will work.

If you hit the gunshows you should be able to find some cast bullets for sale as well as jacketed ones. Enjoy your new hobby, it can be very rewarding.

Genesis 27:3
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Participant

Quote by: takasaki

About to jump in to reloading. What are the things I should get? I know lee loaders are cheaper than other loaders but I think I have decided to get the Lee 1000 progressive press.

The FIRST thing you should get is a couple of good loading manuals. And then read them, cover-to-cover.
    Press: Just my $.02, but I think you would be much better off with a Dillon like the Square Deal press, or the Hornady or RCBS progressives for that matter. Lee makes some OK basic hand tools, but anything they make that has either a plug-in or more than one moving part is best avoided, IMHO.

I will only be loading .40s&w. Also is there anything wrong with cast lead bullets for semi-auto pistols? Looks like the cast bullets are much cheaper to buy and maybe someday make.

That depends on which .40 you have. If it is a Glock or HK with a factory barrel (polygonal rifling) then you MUST avoid cast like the plague, as you are warned in the instruction manual (you DID read the manual that came with your weapon, right??). Lead fouling can build up right in front of the chamber to the point of causing your gun to blow up. 😯 Lone Wolf makes replacement barrels (about $110) for the Glocks that allow you to shoot cast safely and accurately. I shoot cast in pretty much everything, from .32 Magnum through .45 ACP to .500 Linebaugh. Except for the Glock.

Any suggestions on good places to get cheap powder,brass,bullets, or primers would be greatly apreciated. I do not know of any shooting ranges in my area otherwise I would ask them. If using once fired brass do I need to buy a tumbler? How many times can you reload 1 brass shell?

Thanks in advance for all answers.

You can get good deals on most of that stuff at the bigger gun shows. Powder and primers CAN be ordered cheap from several online sources but you have to buy A LOT OF IT to make it worth the shipping and HazMat charges. You don’t HAVE to run fired brass through a tumbler, it is just nice to do it once in a while (like when your brass gets excessively filthy). Crud from the brass will gum up your sizer die – and your pistol chamber – if it gets to be too much. For now you can have that on your list of things to get later. How many times can you reload? That depends. With handgun brass that isn’t subjected to extreme pressure, splits at the case mouth is USUALLY what kills them off. Key to longevity is to not bell the case mouths any more than is absolutely necessary.

Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.