Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum reels?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Another vote for pflueger reels. Trion size 20 for the panfish rod and the president 25 for your jigging rod. I have several of both and only thing I have to do is oil them up once in awhile.

stick500stick500
    Participant

I’ve had a President for a long time which I have enjoyed, but I broke the bail – learned that I should close the bails manually rather than just cranking it- now its a habit I don’t even think about

I also goobered it up once with sal*censored*er but just oiled the hell out of it and now it works OK

last summer after reading a glowing magazine review and good reports on the internet I popped for two Okuma Ceymar reels C-10 and C-30, both about $40

so far they are really smooth and light and cool-looking to boot

Participant

This is a popular post that comes up often. Field and Stream this month has a pretty complete review of spinning and casting reels. Spinning Shimano Stradic CI4 came in as best. Kind of out of the blue, Lews $50 reel took best value. They said it is a heck of a reel in that price range. Someone with skills can maybe post a link for the review.

Participant

Will look into Lews too maybe.Haven’t been anywhere to look at any yet. Might get the mag and look into it.

Participant

I went to an auction last night. They had all the returned and damaged inventory from Gander Mountain. I didn’t realize that pretty much everything there was damaged but there were some diamonds in the rough. I managed to get two great deals. One was a Gander Mountain spinning combo for $25 and the other was a Lews combo where the rod was snapped in half for only $12.50. I bought it for the reel alone with retails at $90.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

I bought the Mach II Speed Spin about a month ago, and so far, it’s my favorite spinning reel. It’s an $80 reel, so a little higher priced. I never thought I would ever spend that much on a reel, but I had a gift card, so I thought I’d try it. I now know why guys spend that much on equipment. It’s great.

Participant

Quote by: Widowmaker

I bought the Mach II Speed Spin about a month ago, and so far, it’s my favorite spinning reel. It’s an $80 reel, so a little higher priced. I never thought I would ever spend that much on a reel, but I had a gift card, so I thought I’d try it. I now know why guys spend that much on equipment. It’s great.

They had a few of those Mach II combos at the auction last night. They were the most popular and went for the most money. There were two that the only defect they had was a broken trigger on the handle and I wanted to buy both. Someone grabbed both for $65.

Participant

That ends up about the same price as a Sahara. Not sure how they compare. With reels, you get what you pay for more or less. Sure the name may command a few bucks. If KVD said the Zebco 33 was his new favorite flipping reel, they would be sold out everyplace. But more expensive reels like the CI4 are made with more, and more expensive parts. Used side by side with less expensive reels you can tell a difference. They are generally smoother and less subject to wear and breakage, along with lighter with better drag systems. But that probably matters to less than half the fisherman that buy reels.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.