Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum reels?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking to buy a reel or maybe two this spring.
    Spinning reels, 1 ultralite used for trout and panfish 2 to 6 lb test, will be on a 5′ 6″ to 6′ rod.
    The other one 4-8 lb test on a 7 ft rod, sometimes 1/8 ounce jigs,sometimes throwing crank baits.
    Looking to spend 30 to forty bucks each maybe a little more. Brands to look at? Models? Think the last couple
    I bought were Pflueger. Don’t remember having any trouble with them to speak of.

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant

I would look at the Pflueger Trion in size 25 and size 30. They are $39.99. A better would be the Pflueger President in the same sizes. These are by far the two most popular we sell where I work. Many people believe the President is the best reel for the money and refuse to pay more for a reel.

Participant

Quote by: Loomis13

I would look at the Pflueger Trion in size 25 and size 30. They are $39.99. A better would be the Pflueger President in the same sizes. These are by far the two most popular we sell where I work. Many people believe the President is the best reel for the money and refuse to pay more for a reel.

Second that on president reel

Participant

I’ll put in a third vote for the Presidents.
    I would go with the 30 series for both rods. Ran one on a 6ft. lite. and now it’s one a 6-6 lite. Use several on 7 ft. med. and 1 on 7 ft. med. lite. All balance very well. Mine are all the 6730 . They came with spare spools! The 6930 don’t! Very handy for me to be able to change between set ups. I now run braid on all of my set ups with a flouro leaders, (just works better for me) but did use 4 and 6 mono. I go thru each of mine every year, and a couple twice a year. They stand up GREAT!

Participant

Quote by: Loomis13

X2…… I have multiple president reels and one trion. All have been very reliable reels with nothing to complain about.

I also have several Shimano with my top one there being a Stradic. I can’t say I prefer anything about it more than the much cheaper Pfluegers.

Participant

10 Trions and 4 Presidents between ice fishing and open water and not a single issue. I haven’t found a reason to buy any other spinning reel. Someone else said it, 25 & 30 are great. I run the 20 ice fishing and it is the right UL size especially for 4# or less, so it might be worth a look at least.

Participant

I switched over to Pflueger spinners several years ago after being a Shimano and Quantum man my entire life. I own 6 Presidents (including a couple lady presidents for my wife and daughter) and do not plan to ever buy any other brand. They feel solid in your hand, are as smooth as any reel I’ve ever turned, have drags that are consistent and effective, and have been ultimately reliable.

Grab a couple Pflueger presidents and don’t look back.

Participant

Pflueger seems to be the overwhelming popular vote here and I’d have to agree. I have a President and it’s my favorite spinning reel. I also have a Summit that I got from Cabelas in a combo that was on sale.

Participant

I like Pflueger and Shimanos. I have expensive tastes, so I mostly use use Patriarchs and Shimano CI4s. I still like Shimanos a hair more for open water fishing, but for ultralight and ice fishing, I like smaller Presidents and Shimano Siennas. I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand, they’re bulletproof!

Participant

I have a couple Presidents I like. But, in that price range, here’s a vote for the Trion. I bought a 35 several years ago and I have abused that little reel horribly. It’s on my “crick” rod. Can’t tell you how many 10-15 carp and nice catfish I’ve winched in with that thing. I finally pulled it apart this year and re-greased the gears and oiled the bearings. Runs like new one. Liked it well enough I bought 2 40s last year.. On another note, I noticed I had lost the dust cap on one of the 40s.. Dropped them a line and they sent me anew one – no charge. No huge money deal – but I was impressed with the service.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

I’ve switched everything to the Shimano Ci4. Best reel on the market hands down

Participant

Quote by: frmboybuck

I agree. But if they don’t fit your price range. Saharas are a good reel also, think they are around $80. Several places had them on sale a coupe years ago for $49.99. I bought a half a dozen for my wife. Not had any issues with any of them. Reel prices relate to the materials and manufacturing costs. For the average weekend fisherman, mid range reel do just fine.

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant

Quote by: frmboybuck

These make up my spinning reels too as I feel the same way. However, they are slightly over the OP’s price range 😕 . Did you pick any up when they went on sale when the newer model came out? Some good deals to be had!

Keymaster

If it fits the budget, Cabela’s has the pflueger president reels on their tourney trail rods as a combo for 60$ and a lifetime warranty. Be hard to convince me there’s a better deal going. Free shipping if you order two 😀

Participant

Ya its been a few years since I bought any reels. I think the last couple I bought were Sedonas and Saharas I think.
    They were a lot more than 30 or 40 bucks though. I downsized quite a bit when I sold my boat a few years back.
    I only really need a couple of good river reels and a couple for trout and panfish when it strikes me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.