Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Redfield Locker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am hoping to hunt on a guy’s land who lives in Stuart. If I am lucky enough to get a deer I was thinking I would take to the Redfield locker. has anyone ever tried them? All I will do is get the loins cut out and the rest probably in Deer Burger. Nothing special. How are the prices?

Participant

We use to use them; I wasn’t impressed and I thought they were a bit pricey for the quality and efficiency.

Participant

He does some things well and others not so well.

I like his jerky and his sausage. I don’t take him whole deer I take him trimmed meat. I am pretty sure you don’t get yours back he throws them all in a batch.

I have had better luck taking 50lbs to him and doing one big pile myself. Then I know I get my stuff back.

I still use him but again he isn’t the best but isn’t the worse either. He is close so that helps.

Participant

Is there any others you would recommend close to Ankeny?

Participant

Quote by: webbgolf1

Is there any others you would recommend close to Ankeny?

Winterset has one but I haven’t used them. I have a buddy that shoots a handful of deer every year and he said they do a great job. May give them a shot this year.

Participant

Thanks for the input.

Participant

I agree with Maxx. I’m pretty certain he mixes and processes all venison together. So, if you take special care of making sure to keep your carcasses clean, they’re still getting mixed in with those deer that have been drug through a mile of swamp land and those ‘questionable’ deer that may not have been found the day of harvest. Nice tender does and yearlings are going to be mixed in with old leathery bucks. Even when I bring them bags of venison I or my crew have boned off of the deer, I’m still pretty certain he processes that in with the rest too. I’m NOT a fan of this and I stopped taking stuff to him a couple years back because of it.

Sticks and jerky can be really good, but occasionally you can get an off batch. Those batches aren’t awful, but you can tell something just isn’t quite right with them.

Prices seem a bit high to me, but I’ve never compared to other local lockers. In the end, you don’t save a ton of money having them process jerky and sticks as compared to buying beef / pork jerky and sticks from the store.

I can’t speak for ground or specific cuts of venison, as I’ve always processed that stuff myself. I imagine that as long as you got your own deer back they shouldn’t be bad, but I imagine it’s a slim chance you would.

Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.