Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Red Fox den site

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Entrance hole

One of two exits. Note, the vertical openings, indicative of a canine dig.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Won’t be long and there will be a few little heads sticking out of that hole!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Fox-1, critter-0. There was another skull by this den also. It still had muscle tissue on it. Couldn’t tell what it was. Either a coon or cat I suspect. Finding fresh remains @ a den site. Tells me, kits reside there as well.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Whiterook, PM sent to you.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Muskeez

Whiterook, PM sent to you.

Thanks

Participant
    Up
    Down

When the female is heavy laden with pups. The male will bring his kills to the den entrance hole & leave them there. Otherwise the female will also go on short hunts & bring them back for her pups. Once they are eating meat. Red Fox kits are weaned around 5wks old. Once the kits are around 12wks old. They will go on their own hunts, alone. Unlike coyote pups. Which often hunt with their litter mates, but sometimes alone.

marie_bmarie_b
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I always look forward to your fox pictures. Can’t wait to see the pups.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati. (When all else fails, play dead.)

Participant
    Up
    Down

Seen a litter of kits with mom watching over them just outside their hole a week ago. They were 20 feet away from a busy blacktop with the hole on the top of the ditch bank by the fenceline.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Whiterook, as always thank for the pic and great info!

There is a female with a litter of 5 kits living in a old barn by my brothers house. I haven’t seen them yet, but the neighbors saw her leading them across the highway. For some reason I think 5 is a big litter, but I may be wrong.

TRKYHNTR
    Nathan

Participant
    Up
    Down

So no pups as of yet? we have a den inside the city limits here and she has 5 pups, its been a blast to watch them play, wish I had some pictures but too far away for my i-phone. Watched them the other day jump and roll mom on the ground. Its pretty funny as they are not ppl shy, but they have walkers all day long going buy them.

Participant
    Up
    Down

7wk old kits.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Now thats what I am seeing That there is a Cool Picture!!! Thats what I am seeing without a camera.
    GREAT JOB

Participant
    Up
    Down

That’s awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Participant
    Up
    Down

A few yrs back. I knew of 9 active dens within a 7 square mile range. 3 of those dens the pups varied in age of a month+. I also seen one time. A litter of small pups in mid October. Which was the latest litter I ever seen or heard of. Those kits were around 8-9wks old at that time. At 8+wks old a Red pup’s eyes are all amber. Their full color happens around 12wks old.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Just outside of town, there was a large boulder pile in the middle of a field in a small waterway. There’s been a fox litter there every year for as far as I could remember. Unfortunately, this spring the farmer decided no more. Moved all boulders and plowed up the grass. Shame, about 25 yards from the road. Know of several people (including me) that enjoyed watching the pups every spring.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Another litter

Participant
    Up
    Down

Coyote den 1/2 mile away. An adult is laying nearby in the fence line grass.

PCIPCI
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Great pictures makes me want to rub there ears

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.