Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Red dot sight???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone use a red dot for deer hunting? I am thinking of getting one but I am not sure how well they work. My shots are never over 100 yards as I just use smooth bore with rifled slugs

Participant

they work just fine:) i used one for years… as long as your shots are not very long then you will be fine… also work great for deer drives…driving and on post

Participant

I’ve used one for probably the last 25 or so years starting with the original Propoint red dot. I’ve upgraded a few times since then as technology as greatly advanced. I love them and the only thing I am now considering is possibly a “halo” type scope but they are still out of the price range I want to spend on a gun that gets as abused as a slug gun. But long story short I highly recomend atleast trying one out but remember it’s definately an item where you get what you pay for.

Participant

I have a propoint on my slug gun too. I’ve zeroed it in at 100 yards before but since has backed it down to 75 for the place I use it. Accurate and way faster than open sights and you can shot them with both eyes. Can’t remember what size of dot I have but the smaller the dot the more accurate it will be. I’ve seen some where the dot covers half the deer’s shoulder @ 100 yards and you don’t want that, mine is still very small @ 100 yards. I put a new battery in before the season and keep the one in my pocket just incase. I also have one on my rabbit pistal so I always have some extra batteries around.

Participant

I have a vortex red dot scope on an 11-87. I’ve only had it for 2 years but would recommend it. The price of it is not outrageous. I have it sighted in at 100 yards. Anything out past 125 yards though, the dot seems to be a little big.

Participant

alway.. i mean always have a spare bat on you.. not in your truck, or in the case, but in your pocket… and check your dot often… my dad missed an op on a giant buck two years ago cuz the bat died… and the buck ran 50 yards from him… sad thing was that i had checked the dot before he left to go post… so always check your dot and make sure its on.. and remember to turn the scope off when you get back to the truck after each hunt.. but overall a great way to scope a slug gun

Participant

Thanks guys I appreciate the info

Participant

Most dots are 4 moa so no problem out to 200 yards. If you sight in right to the top of the dot you are good to 400 with a rifle. You should always shoot both eyes open with iron sights and all scopes but it is easier with a red dot if you havent practiced.

Participant

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

Most dots are 4 moa so no problem out to 200 yards. If you sight in right to the top of the dot you are good to 400 with a rifle. You should always shoot both eyes open with iron sights and all scopes but it is easier with a red dot if you havent practiced.

even at 4 moa your dot covers up way too much of the deer even at 100 yards… it may be accurate at 100 but not even close to being precise enough to put a slug into a deers chest, or where you want it consistantly at 200…. somone may have steered you in the wrong direction if you think a red dot will be “good” out to 200 yards…im talkin within 1′ even… and 400yds with a rifle? with what magnification? none… i doubt consitantly.. try makin a 200 yd shot with a shotgun scope with no magnification.. precision goes way down..

have i shot a deer at 200 with a red dot? no, 150 yds tho… would i ever attempt it.. yes if he was a giant… but i wouldnt bet anything on puttin him down… with my scope now i could guarante a gut pile for ya at 200 yards

if someone is lookin for long range accuracy go buy a rifle/shotugn/muzzel scope 3-9×40 or greater to achieve longer range.

very misunderstood among many people with little experience with shotgun hunting…

no-little magnification=short range
    magnification=longer ranges=more precise

if you shoot within 100 yards… a red dot will serve its purpose

Participant

x2 on what ducknerd said. Well put!

Participant

I use a smooth bore with rifled slugs I am not planning on smoking them at 200 yards. I hunt early muzzel loader for that long rang game.
    Shot gun is 100 yards or last mostly

Why do you shoot with both eyes open when not bird hunting?

Participant

Quote by: iceking25

I use a smooth bore with rifled slugs I am not planning on smoking them at 200 yards. I hunt early muzzel loader for that long rang game.
    Shot gun is 100 yards or last mostly

Why do you shoot with both eyes open when not bird hunting?

Im going to assume that your question is: Why do you not shoot with both eyes open while bird hunting? correct me if im wrong but ill answer it as i assume anyways and turn this into a wingshooting topic

I do shoot both eyes open when hunting ducks geese and pheasnats.. i believe that its preference over technique, and most will argue…. but its begginer vs experieced personally… but when i shoulder my shotgun, my target is naturally taken or aquired as most will say… you shoot where you look and you dont “aim” at a duck or pheasant.. the bead is more or less a reference point and not the object of focus. the bird is the focus point, in particular its beak/bill..to shoot with both eyes open takes alot of self dicipline when you think about it…. you have to keep your form in every aspect of the shot, from shouldering the shotgun down to the follow through then to the second bird… in that order… and not worrying about the second bird until the first is dead.. if it varries then a miss is nearly guaranteed.. but thinking is the last thing that you need to do… dont think about how the shot is just kill the bird as it flies… both eyes or one eye… just keep your form.. thats the key to wing shooting… slow down and kill the bird

is that what you were looking for?

Participant

from a waterfowler/ slug hunter. to make a few long storys short. the point of a red dot is to shoot with both eyes open. the advantage is that you dont have to be directly down the barrel, yet just have to have the dot in your vision. which is why they make 30mm up to 45mm 0x scopes. you said your not shooting over 100 yrds but the next question is stand hunting or drives!? if your shooting a moving target the smaller MOA the better. i shoot a cheap 6MOA bushnell trophy hunter with sst’s and it fits my “drive” needs, but with a smooth boar and rifled slugs your not going to be as accurate. none the less, without reaching out there and a steady mount you will be fine with a $100 6moa scope. but as other stated if your gonna get real wild and want to start stand hunting, taking 200yrd shots a smaller moa (2-3) and rifled barrel with higher end slugs would be wise!

Participant

Yeah, being left eye dominant and a right handed shooter, I always had to close my left eye. The red dot forces me to the right eye when I come up without the “wink”.

Participant

I have one I would sell if you are interested… Mounted and used this last season but I am switching to s standard scope for next year. it is just a 2X red dot…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.