Recurve vs Compound 2018-03-16T08:15:33+00:00

Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing Recurve vs Compound

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What is your go-to bow of choice when going after the rough fish? I kinda want to know what people use to get more ideas for certain circumstances.

BuckFever86
    Participant

I like my recurve based solely on the ability to snap shoot at a fish. Can get those carp that pop outta nowhere

basspro23basspro23
    Participant

Quote by: BuckFever86

I like my recurve based solely on the ability to snap shoot at a fish. Can get those carp that pop outta nowhere

I also enjoy using the recurve, but i have limited range. I enjoy the compound, but I feel it is too overpowered at close range. (Even if my draw weight is lower) So I feel like I have to guess when the carp or whatever are in close to shore, or out a ways. Regardless, it is a blast.

WhipWhip
    Participant

I haven’t shot any carp for 20 years but have decided to get started again this summer. I still have my old recurve bow and a bow fishing arrow just need to get a new reel and line. I want something simple and I don’t want to put a lot of money in the set up. Any recommendations?

Whip

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

I pretty much have shot and/or owned them all. I like a compound for the power to zip the arrow down deep to suspended fish if needed. A recurve is generally lighter, but a compound has better water penetration hands down. This said, I do have a compound bow specifically built for bowfishing with no let off and allows me to snap shoot if needed. Essentially its the same power at half draw as it is at full draw. Its definitely a give and take.

Some of the newer compounds are really light, nearly as light as a wooden recurve. Most compounds are much more durable also. Bowfishing can be pretty rough on a nice recurve.

kendykay
    Participant

If you are looking at bowfishing found a great guide service Edge Bowfishing. Curt is very helpful

stick500stick500
    Participant

I like my compound because I can draw on a fish that doesn’t see me and take my sweet time for just the right shot.

I haven’t shot a recurve since I was a kid, so I can’t really say how much I would or wouldn’t like that for bowfishing.

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant

Martin rebel recurve at #50 for me. Every once in a while when the carp line up right i can stick 2. The most ive stuck with one shot was 3 drum, but i agree my diatance is limited. I usually fish flooded fields and stalk them on foot. Good times!!

fishhookfishhook
    Participant

I shoot a recurve and love it. My wife recently bought a compound and I’ve shot some fish with it and love it too. The compound has a lot more distance and power obviously.

It’s a toss up really…

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Cheryl puts in a good argument for a compound

Cheryl’s first gar fish

kenhump
    Participant

Thoughts.  I have used pretty much everything from 5 gang spears to compound.  My favorite is a solid fiberglass semi-recurve. When you get home just wash it off with the hose.  I like about 45#.   A lot of my shooting was done near shore, rocks.  When I  tried a compound I  found I was tearing up to many tips and shafts.    So I  have usually opted for the cheap and easy option.  Suggestion .  If you want to go cheap check you local pawn shop for gear.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant
    WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant
    WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Yesterday was awesome fishing , high water has us farther up creeks this year than ever before ,  we’re having a blast 😎

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.