Home Forums Miscellaneous Photography Recommendations for new camera

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Alright Heinrix, I went an put hands on both of those cameras. The 3200 and the T3i. MAN I was overwhelmed! I am a complete rookie at this whole thing and now I am panicking and having second thoughts.
    The lady told me that these do not have auto focus. Is this true?

Here is the deal. I carry my camera along with my gun while I hunt. I cant,dont have time to, mess with the focus while doing this. A lot of times when the dogs hit point I have just enought time to pull the camera out and shoot. But I still want really nice photos. I have hated my Nikon L3 whatever it is. The hubby has given me the ol to find another camera.

What are the most important things I should be looking for? IS it megapixals? DO you know of any nicer point and shootish style cameras that may suit me? I am sorry to ask you, I just dont know who else to ask. I guess you cant trust the sales person.

I have been looking at some Sony’s like the HX300.. But I just dont know.

have a look at my site and you will see my pctures are crappy.

Any help would be tops.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Both of those bodies will “auto-focus” with the correct lens. There are lenses out there that will only operate with manual focus, but there are not many.

The focus on any SLR body will be much faster than nearly all point and shoots.

Nearly all bodies manufactured by Canon and Nikon have sufficient sensors (megapixels) to allow you to enlarge a print to 11×14 or greater without severe loss of quality (assuming little to no cropping).

There isn’t a “most important” thing to look for with what you stated your needs are. Both of the bodies that you looked at will perform and far out perform what you’d like to use them for. Many pros still carry entry level DSLRs as a back up body or for a secondary lens. Hell, many carry point and shoots too.

This is a very reputable site for both purchases:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=new_productList.jsp&A=cart&Q=add

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856049-REG/Nikon_25492_D3200_DSLR_Camera_With.html

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: FGH

Both of those bodies will “auto-focus” with the correct lens. There are lenses out there that will only operate with manual focus, but there are not many.

The focus on any SLR body will be much faster than nearly all point and shoots.

Nearly all bodies manufactured by Canon and Nikon have sufficient sensors (megapixels) to allow you to enlarge a print to 11×14 or greater without severe loss of quality (assuming little to no cropping).

There isn’t a “most important” thing to look for with what you stated your needs are. Both of the bodies that you looked at will perform and far out perform what you’d like to use them for. Many pros still carry entry level DSLRs as a back up body or for a secondary lens. Hell, many carry point and shoots too.

This is a very reputable site for both purchases:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=new_productList.jsp&A=cart&Q=add

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856049-REG/Nikon_25492_D3200_DSLR_Camera_With.html

So are you saying I will figure these out and just one? I would imagine that the lens that comes with the 3200 is the one I need for auto focus?

Thnaks

Participant
    Up
    Down

How deep you want to get into the cameras is up to you. Set on auto, they will do a fine job. The more you want to learn and explore, the more you’ll get out of it and there is a ridiculous amount of knowledge for free on different forums etc. The book “Understanding Exposure” should come with every SLR purchased. It’s well worth the $15-20 on Amazon or wherever.

The lens that comes with either of those kids will auto focus. Those lenses are going to be much like a portrait lens – good for taking family photos, shots of dogs with birds, landscapes etc. If you want to capture very personal photos without standing on top of your subject, you’ll have to dig into your pockets a bit for additional lenses, but this is a good starting point.

As far as which body – it’s Ford/Chevy, Beretta/Benelli – they both do a fine job. Nikon’s equivalent to Canon’s L-glass is considerably more expensive and Nikon does not quite have as extensive of a selection, but you’re A LONG ways away from needing to worry about that.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: FGH

but you’re A LONG ways away from needing to worry about that.

That’s a fact! Thank you. Now, to talk the hubby into the price point. Do you think they will drop again before x-mas?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Spionhund

Alright Heinrix, I went an put hands on both of those cameras. The 3200 and the T3i. MAN I was overwhelmed! I am a complete rookie at this whole thing and now I am panicking and having second thoughts.

Here is the deal. I carry my camera along with my gun while I hunt. I cant,dont have time to, mess with the focus while doing this. A lot of times when the dogs hit point I have just enought time to pull the camera out and shoot. But I still want really nice photos. I have hated my Nikon L3 whatever it is. The hubby has given me the ol to find another camera.

What are the most important things I should be looking for? IS it megapixals? DO you know of any nicer point and shootish style cameras that may suit me? I am sorry to ask you, I just dont know who else to ask. I guess you cant trust the sales person.

Any help would be tops.

What she probably meant is, the camera BODY doesn’t have autofocus. When you get into the higher-end Nikons, the autofocus drive motor is built into the camera body, and the lens can drive virtually any autofocus lens that will fit the camera. The lower end (consumer-level) cameras typically do NOT have the autofocus motor in the camera body, so they only have autofocus capability if the lens has the drive motor built in — which is becoming increasingly common.

What part of the state are you in? I have a D60 (the predecessor to the Nikon D3200) for sale in the classifieds here, with two lenses and other accessories; if you’re around NW Iowa, I’d be willing to meet up with you sometime, let you take a look at the D60, try and answer any questions, etc. And I’m open to offers on the classified.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Spionhund

Any help would be tops.

The professional or avid photographers are going to recommend the most advanced camera. That’s good advice if your wish is to grow as a photographer. You touched on both of my points. I like my 5200, but if you carry it 6 or 8 hour in the field. All the time trying to protect it from crp dust and seeds, rain or snow and impact. A full size dslr is going to give you the most options, but almost make you decide between carrying it or a gun. I’m sure some do both but not for me. But that is were I use my Cannon SX110. 1/4 the investment if it gets wet! Turn it on when I grab it in my pocket, pull it up maybe zoom in or out and shoot. Not going to get the rooster at 100 yards. But sounds like you want good pics of dog work. If you want website pics I would use two people. One with a dog, one with skills and high quality camera. My SX 100 is overdue for a upgrade. But waiting till they waterproof one of the new compacts I’ve been eyeing. Nice thing it’s at arms reach most of the time when the dslr is safe and dry at home.
    The other thing I find with technology. Be it cameras, computers, fishing electronic or whatever. For younger people or ones around technology regularly. It’s hard to understand the generation that can take you to the spot they were sitting or standing when Kennedy was assassinated, don’t want or need all the options. Got my wife a new digital camera 3 years ago. She loves it to death. To date she has made progress from the on off switch to using the zoom. 😉 You don’t need a 50 bmg to kill a dove, granted it will and be handy if we get invaded. At he end of the day, for some of us simple is better. Good luck.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Traveler:
    I didn’t read through absolutely every post, but here is my 2-cents.
    You’ve started off right with knowing your price range. Nearly all name-brand cameras in a price range share similar features. Be careful of the ones grossly overstating their performance in some particular aspect over others in the same price range.

Good luck to you.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: dkwolf

Quote by: huntingirl

Quote by: Heinrix_54

The T3 doesn’t shoot video in 1080p, while the T3i and D3200 both do. The megapixels difference probably won’t matter since you most likely won’t be doing a lot of editing, but the image sensor size difference will. The increased noise at high ISO on the T3 will make indoor sports photography nearly impossible. 4 fps is slow, 3 fps is torture.

I have no experience with the Sony, so no help there.

I second the D3200, I’ve had mine for quite some time now and I love it; treat it like its my 3rd child and my kids sometimes get jealous of it!

Henrix – you do a lot of school sports do you do it with your D3200; if so what lens/settings do you use? I’m still having some issues with photgraphing my kids Basketball and I REALLY have not found a way to get good photos of the concerts where I’m stitting in low/no light and they are in a spotlight…any tips on that one?

Check your metering setting — if it’s “Matrix”, it’s trying to get the best exposure for the entire photo. Change it to “Spot” or “Center Weighted”, and use manual focus point selection. Spot metering will adjust the camera for the optimal photo at the focal point, center weighted will give preference to the center of the photo (obviously)

It’s like trying to shoot photos of the moon – your instinct tells you wide aperature and slow shutter, because you’re in the dark. But the subject you’re shooting isn’t — it’s NOON on the lunar surface. So tight aperature and fast shutter.

Hey this worked for the Christmas concert this Monday. I have been struggling to get something other than a black photo. I was actually able to get something decent. Except this year they switched the seating, so I was on the wrong side. But next time, I will nail it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: J_Jaacks

Quote by: dkwolf

Quote by: huntingirl

Quote by: Heinrix_54

The T3 doesn’t shoot video in 1080p, while the T3i and D3200 both do. The megapixels difference probably won’t matter since you most likely won’t be doing a lot of editing, but the image sensor size difference will. The increased noise at high ISO on the T3 will make indoor sports photography nearly impossible. 4 fps is slow, 3 fps is torture.

I have no experience with the Sony, so no help there.

I second the D3200, I’ve had mine for quite some time now and I love it; treat it like its my 3rd child and my kids sometimes get jealous of it!

Henrix – you do a lot of school sports do you do it with your D3200; if so what lens/settings do you use? I’m still having some issues with photgraphing my kids Basketball and I REALLY have not found a way to get good photos of the concerts where I’m stitting in low/no light and they are in a spotlight…any tips on that one?

Check your metering setting — if it’s “Matrix”, it’s trying to get the best exposure for the entire photo. Change it to “Spot” or “Center Weighted”, and use manual focus point selection. Spot metering will adjust the camera for the optimal photo at the focal point, center weighted will give preference to the center of the photo (obviously)

It’s like trying to shoot photos of the moon – your instinct tells you wide aperature and slow shutter, because you’re in the dark. But the subject you’re shooting isn’t — it’s NOON on the lunar surface. So tight aperature and fast shutter.

Hey this worked for the Christmas concert this Monday. I have been struggling to get something other than a black photo. I was actually able to get something decent. Except this year they switched the seating, so I was on the wrong side. But next time, I will nail it.

Glad to help!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.