Home Forums Miscellaneous Photography Recommendations for new camera

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Looking for help. Wife and I want to purchase new camera for ourselves as a Christmas present. We’ve only had the point and shoot type small cheap cameras and now ready to upgrade to something better. Here is what we are looking for; fast shutter speed for kid’s sports, mid range zoom (and not the fuzzy digital zoom we’ve had before), video feature so we can dump the camcorder, and looking around the $500-600. It’s gotta be simple, we’re not camera experts by any means but we’re willing to learn.

How is the Canon EOS Rebel T3i? Seems to be the one that gets recommended a lot for beginners?

So many options out there, I’m not sure where to begin. Thanks for the help.

smokepolesmokepole
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I was thinking of making a similar purchase and found some info if you haven’t seen this already.

https://iowasportsman.com/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=882500

There is also a used one in the classifieds

Participant
    Up
    Down

At that price range, I would say a Canon T3i or Nikon D3200.

I’ve used both and they each have their positives. I really like the flip out screen on the T3i, but my D3200 takes better photos.

Here is a nice comparison between the two.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D3200

Participant
    Up
    Down

just got the family a Nikon 7100 and absolutely LOVE it, all the capability of point and shoot (for my wife and kids) and the ability to get creative with the settings of a pro level DSLR(unfortunately body is in the $1000 range)…. one thing to consider with the less expensive Nikon (3000 to 5200) and Canon kits is that the choice of lenses are limited to ones that have autofocus motors in them instead of the camera (that’s why the body is cheaper)

Participant
    Up
    Down

My 5200 takes great pictures. But lugging it around can be a pain. I find myself using my smaller cannon more often because it fits in a pocket or takes little room in a hunting pack. If I’m photographing wildlife or taking pictures exclusively I take the DSLR. But to have a camera along when I’m primarily doing something else the smaller camera wins out. They are definitely making small cameras better. Best Buy add this morning had a new DSLR Cannon “smaller and lighter”. That and waterproof is what I looking for to replace my old Cannon . Good luck

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for the help. I went shopping today and found a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with two lenses and bag for $449. The T3 is only 12.1 megapixel compared to the T3i which is 18 and the Nikon D3200 is 24. Does that matter greatly if I’m never going to print large pictures? How about shutter speed; Canon T3i is 3 frames per second, Nikon is 4, I would assume more the better when it comes to kids and sports.

How about the Sony A300? Anyone have any experience. The Sony felt better in my hands and seemed to make more sense to me. I’m going to do some comparative shopping before I decide. Probably can’t go wrong with any of them, I’ll just buy the one with the better looking store clerk :mrgreen:

Up
    Down

Purchased a Panasonic this past spring. Great for wildlife photos. Easy to use.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200

Participant
    Up
    Down

The T3 doesn’t shoot video in 1080p, while the T3i and D3200 both do. The megapixels difference probably won’t matter since you most likely won’t be doing a lot of editing, but the image sensor size difference will. The increased noise at high ISO on the T3 will make indoor sports photography nearly impossible. 4 fps is slow, 3 fps is torture.

I have no experience with the Sony, so no help there.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Heinrix_54

The T3 doesn’t shoot video in 1080p, while the T3i and D3200 both do. The megapixels difference probably won’t matter since you most likely won’t be doing a lot of editing, but the image sensor size difference will. The increased noise at high ISO on the T3 will make indoor sports photography nearly impossible. 4 fps is slow, 3 fps is torture.

Are any of these cameras the one that you shoot those amazing pictures on your FB with?

I am working on my hubby to get me one. But I m very hard on equipment. I wear them bird hunting, throw them around in the truck etc. Right now i have a Nikon coolpic L310 and I cant stand it. While I am sure a lot of it is me, it doesnt shoot very consistant pictures.

Thanks for th info

Participant
    Up
    Down

I would look at smaller camera with the features you will use. Easy to buy more features than you will ever even know are on the camera { I did }. I find the smaller the camera, the more you are apt to have it with you when the photo op presents it’s self. Saw link doesn’t work. With some help, try to do better next time.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Spionhund

Are any of these cameras the one that you shoot those amazing pictures on your FB with?

I am working on my hubby to get me one. But I m very hard on equipment. I wear them bird hunting, throw them around in the truck etc. Right now i have a Nikon coolpic L310 and I cant stand it. While I am sure a lot of it is me, it doesnt shoot very consistant pictures.

Thanks for th info

Thank you, and yes some of the photos on my fbook are taken with a D3200. Here are a few…

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: stevenoak

I would look at smaller camera with the features you will use. Easy to buy more features than you will ever even know are on the camera { I did }. I find the smaller the camera, the more you are apt to have it with you when the photo op presents it’s self. Saw link doesn’t work. With some help, try to do better next time.

I completely disagree.

All cameras can be dumbed down for the average user. You want to buy the best camera you can at the time for the amount you’re willing to spend so your camera will allow you to grow as a photographer.

cowboycowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Got the D3200 for my wife for Christmas. We got it early because of Christmas programs, etc. and my daughter was in the Nutcracker last weekend. Very happy with it so far.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I second the D3200, I’ve had mine for quite some time now and I love it; treat it like its my 3rd child and my kids sometimes get jealous of it!

Henrix – you do a lot of school sports do you do it with your D3200; if so what lens/settings do you use? I’m still having some issues with photgraphing my kids Basketball and I REALLY have not found a way to get good photos of the concerts where I’m stitting in low/no light and they are in a spotlight…any tips on that one?

Participant
    Up
    Down

My wife bought the D5100 combo on Black Friday and from what I’ve played with it so far I’m impressed. I have absolutely zero knowledge with photography so I’m also interested in hearing the sports lens/setting combos you guys use. We have been taking it to the local HS games to try and learn how to use it a little better.

BTW, I LOVE that sunset photo. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks! that is one of my daughters senior photos it was just a right place at the right time photo!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: huntingirl

I second the D3200, I’ve had mine for quite some time now and I love it; treat it like its my 3rd child and my kids sometimes get jealous of it!

Henrix – you do a lot of school sports do you do it with your D3200; if so what lens/settings do you use? I’m still having some issues with photgraphing my kids Basketball and I REALLY have not found a way to get good photos of the concerts where I’m stitting in low/no light and they are in a spotlight…any tips on that one?

Check your metering setting — if it’s “Matrix”, it’s trying to get the best exposure for the entire photo. Change it to “Spot” or “Center Weighted”, and use manual focus point selection. Spot metering will adjust the camera for the optimal photo at the focal point, center weighted will give preference to the center of the photo (obviously)

It’s like trying to shoot photos of the moon – your instinct tells you wide aperature and slow shutter, because you’re in the dark. But the subject you’re shooting isn’t — it’s NOON on the lunar surface. So tight aperature and fast shutter.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes, I use my D3200 for basketball. I shoot with the standard 18-55 mm Nikon Nikkor DX on full manual, usually from directly behind the hoop. The key is, you want your shutter speed no lower than 500. That’s about as slow as you can go and still get crisp action images. Once you have the other settings, you’ll basically play with your ISO and Aperture until you get it right. The lower the ISO, the better quality (less grainy) the photo. Although the D3200’s High ISO quality is pretty amazing, so don’t be afraid to ramp it up all the way to High if you need to. The lower the Aperture (I think that lens can go to f4) the more light is allowed in and also it creates a more blurry background.

Other settings:
    Image quality = Fine; Image size = Large; White balance = Auto; Release mode = Continuous; Focus mode = Continuous servo AF; AF-area mode = 3D tracking (11 point); Metering = Matrix metering.

That should get you pretty close. Like I said, keep your shutter speed at 500 and mess with ISO/Aperture to get the correct brightness. Most gyms in Iowa have horrible lighting. Especially smaller schools. Hope this helps.

Here’s one from earlier in the week. Had to REALLY bump up the ISO, so it’s a little grainy, but still pretty decent. (Keep in mind, I lowered the quality to make uploading to the internet easier)

Here’s another from Tuesday.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks guys…I get to try the er..um..holiday…Christmas Concert tonight!

Participant
    Up
    Down

The advice I would suggest is get the most body and lens you can afford. A lot of places want to create “packages”. You can always get a case, tripod, SD cards and such later. I got the 5200, which is similar to 3200’s that the others mentioned here. I love mine. Still got to figure it out and learn.

Hendrix, thanks for the concert ideas. I will have to try them on Monday.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.