Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Ready for gun seasons!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m really excited for the gun seasons to begin here in Iowa! I have been hunting pretty hard during bow season and did get a nice doe. I have some nice butterfly chops and burger in the freezer now. I had a chance at a nice buck 2 weeks ago, but shot over his back. 🙁 If I don’t get a bow buck, that’s completely fine with me.

I still have plenty of time to try and get a bow buck still, but I’m ready for the gun seasons to begin as I’ve seen nice deer numerous times now within the 250 yard range I have set for myself for my S&W 460XVR that I use to gun hunt with.

I’ll be hunting a property during 1st and 2nd shotgun season using DEP tags to try and help a farmer thin down the herd in his area. He has a LOT of deer damage to crops in that area and the herd needs thinning pretty badly. I have 5 tags I will try to fill for him if I can. I have a local business that wants 150-175 lbs of deer burger to give away to it’s seasonal employees so I’m hoping to get enough deer for them to fill that need.

I’ll be hunting the 1st weekend of 2nd season with some guys down near Lake Rathbun and I have a coupe doe tags for that weekend. I have a local couple that wants a couple deer to put in their freezer if they can get them so I hope to help them out with that. Then I have my late muzzle loader buck tag and one antlerless tag. I still want one more deer for myself and extended family that loves the deer summer sausage and sticks and there’s also a couple guys where I work that would like to get some deer meat as well. I’m not sure if I’ll get enough deer shot to fill all the wants/needs of everyone, but I’m sure going to have fun trying!

Anyway……I’m just curious to know how many of you here also shoot numerous deer in different seasons to try and help out others with their deer meat wants/needs? I figure it’s a great way to keep hunting as well as helping others out at the same time.

Participant

I’m ready. Don’t bow hunt so 1st shotgun is my 1st outing. I have a doe tag for this season and an any sex tag for late ML. I’ll be hanging out in my box blind for the weekend and maybe an extra day depending on what I’m seeing.

Participant

No I don’t………………I’ve got a couple deer in the freezer with my bow…………..I figure that’s what my family and I will eat in a year………………….on occassion I will donate to HUSH and I will give a little to other family members……………………I just feel it’s a limited resource and there’s no need for me to keep killing them because I can……………but hey, to each his own.

Participant

I have eight more dep tags to fill. Its gonna be a busy few weeks and I cant wait either…..

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: HEROMA

No I don’t………………I’ve got a couple deer in the freezer with my bow…………..I figure that’s what my family and I will eat in a year………………….on occassion I will donate to HUSH and I will give a little to other family members……………………I just feel it’s a limited resource and there’s no need for me to keep killing them because I can……………but hey, to each his own.

I don’t and wouldn’t keep killing them just because I can. I make sure I have people that want or need them before hand. The DEP tags are what they are. The farmer is issued them by the DNR according to deer population and crop damage in a particular area and this farmer just wants some help in putting some of those deer down because there is just WAAAAY too many of them in that area right now according to counts by the DNR depredation biologist and verified crop damages. I personally know the 2 farmers in the video on this page (watch it) and I help one of them with his depredation program……. http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Landowner-Assistance/Wildlife-Damage-Management

Participant

I’m excited as well, though I hope to get out with the bow at least one more time before the late season. I can’t the next 7 days since I’m on call. Good thing I got my buck already.

My buddies and I haven’t hunted together for shotgun for at least a couple years now cause of Early muzzy rule. But this our buddies family has DEP tags down in Wayne county. So we are getting together to mainly stand hunt and whack some does for his uncle. I still need to take my muzzleloader to the range. Its going to be a fun weekend! We are going second season!

Maybe I’m missing something but if you are not the landowner don’t you still need a tag for the shotgun season?

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

Maybe I’m missing something but if you are not the landowner don’t you still need a tag for the shotgun season?

I still have to purchase the $13 tag in my name, but the DEP paperwork allows me to buy the tag and hunt, but only on that specific landowner’s property where the damage is.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Got a couple DEP tags purchased at Scheels last night. Got a new Browning pelvis saw and some gutting kits as well. Stuck at work this morning unfortunately but we’ll be out this afternoon hoping to put down a few does with the 460. Going to be a really nice afternoon to sit and see what comes through before dark. Wish me luck! B)

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

The Dep tag is just that. It is a antlerless only tag good for use on the landowner’s land and any other adjoining landowner’s land if they are agreeable to let you hunt on them. They are good for any season. All you have to do is get the paper slip from the landowner go to where ever you buy your deer license give it to the person issuing the tags, choose the season you want and they enter the info off the paper slip into the elsi and your license and tag are printed out. They keep the paper slip. Pay the $13 bucks and go hunt when the season you chose opens up.

Participant

A pair of gloves and a length of #18 masons twine is easy to use and won’t take up the space of butt-outs, saws, and various field dressing kits. Not to mention the money saved.

Participant

Dep tags have their place but sometimes they are a joke to. The neighbor figured on getting 4 or 5 and was offered 20. He told the guy to keep them all. Nobody knows their farm better than the guy living there.

alan_50501alan_50501
    Participant

I was ready for deer hunting had tag brought and everything…Went to dr around September October told me I could go but don’t be in a tree stand and be careful if I was walking he said it be much better if I hunted with some other people..Then if something would happen to me I would have help…I do not have good balance I can trip over the smallest thing if I’m not watching looking where I am going… I am gonna get out and try to chase some roosters next week will see how that goes….Go to dr before Christmas for some more test to see why I am like I am

Fort dodge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.