Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits Racoon issues

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: TheDuckMaster

Quote by: jalariso

Ya know Larry (TheDuckMaster), I just can’t give anybody (like backstretch) any credibility when they don’t fill out a user profile on this site. They just give the appearance of somebody who has something to hide. On a side note, I always wonder how many of the problem coons that show up at my place have been relocated to the “country” by some well intentioned but misguided soul.

I was going to post the same thing about his profile but changed my mind. He/she been on since 2011 and only seems to post when animals are about to get killed 😯 😯 Pretty sure he/she is not from PETA “People Eating Tasty Animals”

Larry

First off i dont just post when animals are about to be killed!!!
    And i love wild game!!
    I also was raised to not waste anything,,,when i trapped i used it all,, the fur i sold,, and sold the carcasses to a guy that raised fox and a mink rancher…
    Whats so hard about coon proofing bird feeders if that’s the guy’s only problem?? tell me that??

Participant

it will keep coon away

Participant

Ya know Larry (TheDuckMaster), I just can’t give anybody (like backstretch) any credibility when they don’t fill out a user profile on this site. They just give the appearance of somebody who has something to hide. On a side note, I always wonder how many of the problem coons that show up at my place have been relocated to the “country” by some well intentioned but misguided soul.

Just for you i filled out my user profile!!!

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant

Quote by: backstretch

Quote by: TheDuckMaster

I was going to post the same thing about his profile but changed my mind. He/she been on since 2011 and only seems to post when animals are about to get killed 😯 😯 Pretty sure he/she is not from PETA “People Eating Tasty Animals”

Larry

First off i don’t just post when animals are about to be killed!!!
    And i love wild game!!
    I also was raised to not waste anything,,,when i trapped i used it all,, the fur i sold,, and sold the carcasses to a guy that raised fox and a mink rancher…
    Whats so hard about coon proofing bird feeders if that’s the guy’s only problem?? tell me that??

Fair enough, Larry I read your profile and I feel your anguish, as I share your woes with spinal issues. Many won’t take me on trips like pheasant hunting because I can’t keep up. Please accept my apology also. It was intended to flush out any lurking tree huggers (animal rights people). With that you have my total respect.

Larry

Participant

Yes, it’s more than bird feeders. Yard, chickens, flowers, garden, etc. They are not selective. Not to mention grandkids being around routinely, and who knows what can happen or what can get transferred. My daughter actually had to kick one about a month ago to keep it from going after her dog…….in the middle of the day. You do it your way and I’ll do it my way…….whatever that is.

Participant

Quote by: BushFamilyNine

Quote by: Mengo

I’m not sure what forum I should have used, but decided maybe here in Outdoor Tidbits.

I have a huge issue with raccoons. It seems quite frequently they get up on my deck and ravage my bird feeders……all bird feeders; sunflower, jelly for Orioles, and even suet. The only thing it appears that they haven’t ravaged is the niger seed feeder. Yes, I routinely have to take down the feeders to prevent their assault on both the feeders and the feed, but to be quite frank, it is cumbersome and frustrating to have to do that each and every night.

Might try hanging your bird feeders on slicked-up poles in your yard. If you can keep them out of the food, they may move onto other sources of food elsewhere. Having food out on the deck is fantastic for bird watching, but not so fun for the larger critters coming in. I know there are a bunch of funny videos out there of raccoons attempting unsuccessfully to climb a pole to get to bird food.

If you relocate your raccoons, make sure they are miles away. Or they will come back.

Very true. Years ago first wife and I were camped in MN. We had a problem with a big boar coon. Told the rangers the next morning and one looked at the other and said, ‘Oh god’ he’s back. They had trapped and moved the critter several times. One ranger wondered if he could get the coon into Canada. 😆

Participant

Quote by: Mengo

Yes, it’s more than bird feeders. Yard, chickens, flowers, garden, etc. They are not selective. Not to mention grandkids being around routinely, and who knows what can happen or what can get transferred. My daughter actually had to kick one about a month ago to keep it from going after her dog…….in the middle of the day. You do it your way and I’ll do it my way…….whatever that is.

Well there you go,,it wasn’t just the bird feeders,, If there out in the daytime with grandkids around that would be a bigger problem then just bird feeders…
    Do whatever you have to do,,,if you own a 22 and live in the country you may want to go out late after dark and shine for them,,,thats a good way to get rid of a few,,, then this fall maybe contact a trapper and let him finish thinning them out….Have good day!!

Participant

I had same issue. Used cage live trap set out 6 times caught six raccoon’s. Used dry cat food in chip dip container placed behind door trigger. Important to set trap in line from where raccoon’s are coming from with bird feeders. Haven’t had any more bird baths tipped over. Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.