Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits Racoon issues

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I would suggest coon proofing your bird feeders,, or live trapping and relocating the coon!! There is no reason for killing the coons out of season!!
    You do live in the country so you are going to have coons and all other kinds of critters around,,,learn to deal with them without harming them…

Participant

Just a thought but my go-to bait for coon with my business is powdered sugar donuts. Also, I avoid using catfood whenever I can as skunks just love the stuff. Good luck!

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant

Quote by: backstretch

I would suggest coon proofing your bird feeders,, or live trapping and relocating the coon!! There is no reason for killing the coons out of season!!
    You do live in the country so you are going to have coons and all other kinds of critters around,,,learn to deal with them without harming them…

Hope you don’t mind me having a little fun…(no ill intent okay)

1) Ill be the first one to say coon location does not work especially if they have a good food supply. Your only saving grace is to relocate them when sweet corn is ready, then just maybe you wont see them again. Now if you want to know if your coon is returning, just prior to release notch its ear. 😉

2) I bet if farmers quit killing coons that poop in the top of their corn bins, your cornflakes will have allot more black spots in the future. 😯

Seriously backstrecth, there is sometimes a need to kill coons season or not. Trust me if you call the local DNR they will go along with your needs most of the time and as long as it humane it really just part of life.

Hers some facts on how many coons there are. Trappers and hunters take more the 301,000 each year pelt prices are high like in 1978 when the averaged $32.00. Iowas road contribute to 100,000. Yet they still keep coming back. If you want to help stop autos from here’s a great group to join..Saving Life on the Road – Compassionate Action Institute

Larry

Participant

Quote by: TheDuckMaster

Hope you don’t mind me having a little fun…(no ill intent okay)

1) Ill be the first one to say coon location does not work especially if they have a good food supply. Your only saving grace is to relocate them when sweet corn is ready, then just maybe you wont see them again. Now if you want to know if your coon is returning, just prior to release notch its ear. 😉

2) I bet if farmers quit killing coons that poop in the top of their corn bins, your cornflakes will have allot more black spots in the future. 😯

Seriously backstrecth, there is sometimes a need to kill coons season or not. Trust me if you call the local DNR they will go along with your needs most of the time and as long as it humane it really just part of life.

Hers some facts on how many coons there are. Trappers and hunters take more the 301,000 each year pelt prices are high like in 1978 when the averaged $32.00. Iowas road contribute to 100,000. Yet they still keep coming back. If you want to help stop autos from here’s a great group to join..Saving Life on the Road – Compassionate Action Institute

Larry

Trust me i know all about coons,, had hounds for 35 yrs,,trapped that long also,, also lived on a farm for 35 yrs… i’ve relocated many coon with success i’ve found that if you relocate them far enough away you wont have a problem with them coming back,, i always relocated them to like a slough without any problems…also you learn to live with them by coon proofing things like bird feeders or not leaving cat food on the porch or garbage where they can get to it… and yes there are times you have to kill problem critters,, but that is after all else fails!!! Also i’ve trapped coon for many farmers,, every fall they would call me to thin down there coon pop.and believe it or not i controlled there pop. pretty good… so there really are way’s to handle coon pop. without killing out of season!!!

🙂

Participant

LOL Relocate, LOL I just had this vision of this dude being like here ya go little man your free then the coon just hauling back at him and chowing on his leg 😆

Better yet, catch him, and put him in a crate and send him to ISIS, make sure he is good and mad first though 😆

Participant

On coon returning: A couple years ago I had a guy call and said he had coon ruining his sweet corn just north of Spencer. I caught 7 in the first 3 days and he swore I was taking them down the road and releasing them. I was actually dropping them off by the river near Peterson. For the next week every coon I caught I gave a quick shot of fluorescent spray paint on their tail. Never did recatch a painted coon 😉

Participant

Quote by: iceking25

LOL Relocate, LOL I just had this vision of this dude being like here ya go little man your free then the coon just hauling back at him and chowing on his leg 😆

Better yet, catch him, and put him in a crate and send him to ISIS, make sure he is good and mad first though 😆

Thats real funny Iceking25,,, it’s to bad some people are just to lazy to do it the rite way…it’s really not that hard!!!
    If your to lazy you can also hire someone to do it for you,, there are people that do that for a living!!

Participant

I trap most of my coon on the outskirts and surroundings of a major metropolitan area (by Iowa standards of course), and there are so many in such small areas, a few getting swimming lessons or head thumped is a good thing no matter when it happens. Way too much disease, crowding, etc. Depends on location. In some locations they need thinned out just like anything else.

Participant

Thats real funny Iceking25,,, it’s to bad some people are just to lazy to do it the rite way…it’s really not that hard!!!
    If your to lazy you can also hire someone to do it for you,, there are people that do that for a living!!

Here’s whats funny………

Its just plain ignorant to say people are lazy to do it the right way especially when you way is wrong. When you do this move you are doing the same thing on a smaller scale that man did when he released of goats to Hawaii. You are upsetting the natural balance. You made a comment you like to move them to a marsh or swampy area. That’s great you worry about killing coons out of season but yet its okay for the coon to kill ducks and shore birds. Or that coons tears into muskrat house and kill’s all the youngsters which in the fall keep a marsh from overgrowth. Think before you take action please, because every action has a reaction in nature.

Coons especially those that have humans as neighbors, carry things like rabies, lepto, zoonosis, (from dumpster diving) and roundworm very well. Heres a scenerio, on the way to the release point the coon pee’s all over the back of your SUV. Smells awful and you clean it up with a damp towel and water. Your wife uses that same SUV to take Fee Fee on a road trip with the kids. Both the kids and the Fee Fee are in the back playing waiting for mom to stop talking to Nancy the neighbor. You cant figure out why in a week they come down with flu symptoms. Next they get meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), thier liver fails too, and the can’t breath, (respiratory distress). Worse to move a coon your own kids pass away. Okay the kids didn’t get it but your dog did because it was licking the same spot on the carpet the coon peed on. Or you missed the coon crap that went out through the wire trap and the neighbors dog is sick as hell with round worms because it ate the coons crap.

In the big picture to move them to a new home 20-30 miles away is much worse then sacrificing the life of a single creature.

Larry

Participant

anecdote: When I moved here (23 years ago) I was overrun with ‘coon. I’m an old time coon hunter and trapper – and I felt like one of the previous posters. So, I started live-trapping coon and hauling them off. Two traps – 14 coon in 11 nights. Took them to a place 10-12 mile away – where there was nothing for miles but one steel building and 10 miles of river timber.

Fast forward 3 months.. State biologist calls me and asks if I would be interested in trapping some coon. Seems a local farmer stores his seed corn in a steel building and the coons got in and tore up 30 bags; scattered it everywhere (at that time – hundred/couple hundred bucks a bag). 😯 Make sure you’re not contributing to someone else’s problems.

Participant

Quote by: TheDuckMaster

Here’s whats funny………

Its just plain ignorant to say people are lazy to do it the right way especially when you way is wrong. When you do this move you are doing the same thing on a smaller scale that man did when he released of goats to Hawaii. You are upsetting the natural balance. You made a comment you like to move them to a marsh or swampy area. That’s great you worry about killing coons out of season but yet its okay for the coon to kill ducks and shore birds. Or that coons tears into muskrat house and kill’s all the youngsters which in the fall keep a marsh from overgrowth. Think before you take action please, because every action has a reaction in nature.

Coons especially those that have humans as neighbors, carry things like rabies, lepto, zoonosis, (from dumpster diving) and roundworm very well. Heres a scenerio, on the way to the release point the coon pee’s all over the back of your SUV. Smells awful and you clean it up with a damp towel and water. Your wife uses that same SUV to take Fee Fee on a road trip with the kids. Both the kids and the Fee Fee are in the back playing waiting for mom to stop talking to Nancy the neighbor. You cant figure out why in a week they come down with flu symptoms. Next they get meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), thier liver fails too, and the can’t breath, (respiratory distress). Worse to move a coon your own kids pass away. Okay the kids didn’t get it but your dog did because it was licking the same spot on the carpet the coon peed on. Or you missed the coon crap that went out through the wire trap and the neighbors dog is sick as hell with round worms because it ate the coons crap.

In the big picture to move them to a new home 20-30 miles away is much worse then sacrificing the life of a single creature.

Larry

You know you are probably rite,,, since all wild critters can carry disease and can be a nuisance i should probably kill all the geese and ducks that $hit in my yard (i live on a lake by the way) and also the rabbits and deer that get into my garden cause that really pi$$es me off….I guess i could put a fence around my garden but that would be to much work… or i could thin them out during season but there bothering me now.. OHHH Well i’ll just deal with it in my own way…
    Point is all i was saying if the coons are just getting into the guy’s bird feeders and that’s his only problem then coon proof the bird feeders,, there’s no reason to kill them until season and then thin them down… is that to hard to do???

Participant

Ya know Larry (TheDuckMaster), I just can’t give anybody (like backstretch) any credibility when they don’t fill out a user profile on this site. They just give the appearance of somebody who has something to hide. On a side note, I always wonder how many of the problem coons that show up at my place have been relocated to the “country” by some well intentioned but misguided soul.

Participant

Quote by: jalariso

Ya know Larry (TheDuckMaster), I just can’t give anybody (like backstretch) any credibility when they don’t fill out a user profile on this site. They just give the appearance of somebody who has something to hide. On a side note, I always wonder how many of the problem coons that show up at my place have been relocated to the “country” by some well intentioned but misguided soul.

I was going to post the same thing about his profile but changed my mind. He/she been on since 2011 and only seems to post when animals are about to get killed 😯 😯 Pretty sure he/she is not from PETA “People Eating Tasty Animals”

Larry

Participant

use a small radio like an alarm clock 😀 trust me that will work B)

Participant

Quote by: ffman123

use a small radio like an alarm clock 😀 trust me that will work B)

Huh?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.