Home Forums Fishing Catfishing Raccoon River Near Panora

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

New to the western part of the state.  Wondering if the Raccoon near Panora will support my jon boat and 25horse outboard.  Also wondering if the catfishing is any good on the Middle Raccoon?

Participant

Hey man, welcome to western IA.  The middle coon below and above Lake Panorama will support smaller jon boats (<16′) and outboards in the spring and early summer depending on how much rain we get.  Mid-summer you will need to head to lower stretches to find enough water to float your boat.  The south coon convergence is just south of Redfield and the north coon convergence is just north of Van Meter.

The north coon is a short drive east of Panora, and it will have more consistent water conditions year ’round to float a jon boat and outboard.

Catfishing on all stretches of the south, middle, and north coon as well as their smaller tributaries can be phenomenal.  Large numbers of eater size to 10# channel cats and larger can be found from the headwaters of middle coon near Carroll all the way to Lake Panorama.  Eater and trophy flatheads are also available from roughly Springbrook State Park to Lake Panorama and below to lower stretches of the river.

South coon also holds good populations of channel and flathead catfish, but you may have trouble floating your boat on this smallest tributary of the ‘coon.  It is phenomenal for wading however, and if you go up or down river from Nations Bridge you should be able to fill stringers of cats.

North coon is the largest of the tributaries, and you should be able to float a jon boat from stretches north of Glidden through the southern stretches.  The north coon has abundant numbers of eater cats and boasts good numbers of trophy channel and flathead cats throughout its length.  Certain stretches of north coon also offer very good walleye fishing.

Good luck!

Participant

I should’ve added that the middle coon below Lake Panorama is intensively managed by the IADNR for smallmouth.  It is CPR only below the dam for some distance and an enormous amount of structure has been added to improve the fishery.  The side benefits are improved fishing for all species including walleyes.

As you get further south, middle coon becomes a legitimate multi-species fishery.  In a single evening below the dam in Redfield, my buddies and I caught a mixed bag of eater channels and flatheads, slab crappies, white bass, bluegills, and walleyes.  Wherever you find gravel and rock mixed with access to deep water, you can really get into some good fishing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.