Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Question for you bowhunters

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was just wondering if any of you ever tried stalking a deer and if so how was the outcome. Or maybe spotting one then stalking. I never hear of it being done much anymore. I was reminded of this type of hunting last week while calling coyotes. Had one beautiful 12pt about 25yds while going to a set.The next day I walked up to another smaller one who laid down at about 35 yards from where I was standing.I was just thinking what a fantastic hunt this would be if I bowhunted.

Participant

I ground hunt prolly 50% of the time. I have shot my biggest 3 deer from the ground and they all measured over 150 and I’ve killed probably 20-30 does from the ground. Hunting from the ground is very difficult, you will loose 9 times out of 10, but when it pays off lets say…………………its Awesome!

Spot and Stalk is tough in Iowa because its mostly brush county or too many leafs/ice/snow in the timber..too much noise…although I shot a 162 from a spot and stalk in Madison County. I saw him about 400 yds away, played the wind and got within 25 yds and killed him head up over the top of his chest plate on January 8,2011. and another similar situation in Adams county Oct 30th, 2010. and Nov 11th 2009.

Always play the wind, no exception. There is no replacement for patience, always wait for the right angle before shooting because on the ground you don’t have the angle to give you quality blood trails like from the tree. I aim for the heart in every shot.

You are at eye level with the animal in his living room, he will see you if you move. So only move when his head is turned away, or behind an obstacle and allow yourself enough time from when you draw to when you shoot and do not rush. Patience, Patience and more Patience……….the animal will give you the right angle and at a good distance. No matter how close they get, do not move, I’ve had year old deer walk across my legs in one instance.

All of the bucks I’ve killed from the ground have been from 8 – 46 yds. Keep your broadheads sharp, penetration is key. Remember, calling will bring an animal directly to your location, you probably will not want him rushing in on top of you.

Once you are set up on a ridge, pitch point, off of food or access trail clear away brush to reduce your noise and give you a clean shooting lane. Do not sit directly on top of the deer food or trails, give yourself a comfortable shooting distance. And low areas will only make your scent swirl – Good Luck.

Participant

The very first buck I ever shot with a bow was from the ground while stalking. I had been hunting out of my tree stand all morning over standing corn. At about 11am I saw a nice buck on the north side of the corn go right into the middle of the corn field and lay down. The wind was directly out of the northwest and after watching him for about an hour I decided to see how close I could get to him. I got into the corn and moved very slowly allowing the wind to help mask the noise I was making. The corn rows were pretty straight so when I got within 50 yds or so I could see him laying down facing away from me. He wasn’t skittish and didn’t move much, just laying there. From the edge of the field to the buck was probably 80 yds and it took me about 45 minutes to get within 20 yds. The problem was at 20 yds I didn’t have a good angle to shoot as he was laying down facing away from me. I inched closer and finally was able to make a shot at about 12 yds. It was one of the most exciting hunts I have been on and very satisfying.

Participant

I’ve talked to quite a few guys that poo poo on the thought of stalking white tails, but I personally think it’s a lot of fun. So far I’ve only done it a couple of time – only when it’s windy or the ground is wet (they can’t hear you and there’s movement in the weeds/trees already). I would say of the 3 or 4 times I’ve done it I’ve gotten within 15 ft of a deer. Once a doe – on the wrong side of a brush pile from me and couldn’t get her to come out. Once came nose-to-nose with a fork buck at like 5 feet around a corner on a field edge (no joke). And another time last year I got about 10ft from a good-sized buck but was out of position before I saw him moving toward me. I didn’t have any cover to back up into and he saw me before I got a chance to draw. If I’d have had a tree to stand behind it’d have been another story. Anyway – nothing more thrilling than stalking a white tail. I read a Fred Bear book where he described them as the toughest animal on earth to stalk hunt. I don’t know if he’s right, but dammit it’s fun if you like a challenge. PS – I’ve also stalked a turkey, but it turned out to be a hen when I got close enough for the shot. She never did know I was there – couldda been dead meat. Just watch out for turkey eye sight if you try them. They don’t hear that great, but can see you a mile away.

Participant

Ive Had Very Good Success Stalking, But I Only Do It When Its Quiet. Heavy Rain, Or Fresh Snow.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

While I’ve never actually shot a deer while stalking one, I have stalked a few just to see if I could. A couple of them were when it was not during deer season and I wanted to see how close I could get to them. I once stalked a doe within 20 yards in a timber, she was over 100 yards away when I first saw her, and it took me well over 1/2 hr to do it. I only stepped when she had her head down or turned away and I stepped slowly/lightly since there were leaves that were rather noisy and if I remember correctly it was a little windy that day so the noise from the wind helped conceal my noise as well. I was in full camo from head to toe and carrying a 10-22 ruger since I was actually squirrel hunting. Once I got that close to her I just stood and watched her for a while then decided to make a run at her just to see how she would react. She leaped almost like a surprised cat would do and hit the ground running as fast as I’ve ever seen a deer run. I laughed my butt off and went back to looking for squirrels but it was the highlight of my day for sure to see that doe’s reaction. 😆

Participant

It’s actually not that hard when a deer is bedded down on a terrace. Some of the ground I hunt is wide open corn fields that have lots of terraces. I will sit and use the binoculars to spot one on the windy days that we always seem to have in sw Iowa. One you locate one put together the game plan and go after the deer. You will usually be shooting straight down on the deer when you are in range.

Participant

I had great success one time stalking a buck. It was early in the season before all the leaves where on the ground to make noise. It was warm enough I was wearing my nike tennis shoes. I was walking through the timber looking for a spot to hang a tree stand when I spotted a buck about 100 yards in front of me working his way too me. I stood behind a big ol cottonwood until he got close to me. Then I drew back and stepped out from behind the tree. I let him have it from 35 yds and he didn’t even know what hit him.

Participant

Thanks for the replies. Love reading the stories. Many years ago late 70s early 80s I did alot of this type of hunting with some success. I never got any monster whitetail with this method but when I was successful, as one poster put it “It was awesome”. Depending on the terrain and the lay of the timber I remember it may have taken me over an hour to cover a hundred yards. Patients ,watching where your next step was going, playing the wind and just being a ghost determined the success. It was and still is one of the best ways to hone in on hunting skills. I always wanted to have a trophey mounted on the wall where I could say to someone that I had stalked it but that never happend. Lots of articles were written in Field n Stream, Fur Fish N Game, Outdoorsman ect. back then. I cant remember the guys name but he had several articles written about stalking unpicked cornfields. Even though he was a heavy set fellow, he had no issues going through the rows. In the pictures ,they had shown where he would get so close to them he could almost reach out and touch them when they were bedded. Somebody told me that he had passed away which is unfortunate. Without his articles, I probably never would have attempted this type of hunting….( Getting close to nature )…..Gotta love it.

Participant

Quote by: vics

It’s actually not that hard when a deer is bedded down on a terrace. Some of the ground I hunt is wide open corn fields that have lots of terraces. I will sit and use the binoculars to spot one on the windy days that we always seem to have in sw Iowa. One you locate one put together the game plan and go after the deer. You will usually be shooting straight down on the deer when you are in range.

windy days in sw Iowa? Ha seems like the whole state is always windy anymore. Especially this season as its been windy alot more then in the past.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.