Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Proposed law to allow pistol caliber rifles during youth, disabled, and shotgun seasons

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: patrick

I wouldn’t mind the bill getting through, not saying I would push for it either. However, and hopefully I am wrong, but I disagree with this bringing in new hunters. Most likely it would be current hunters making the switch from shotgun to a rifle. I wish the DNR would just label it as it appears….New Bill To Hopefully Generate More Deer License Sales.

BINGO

Participant

Quote by: bowfisher

Man I just don’t like the idea – primarily due to the party hunting aspect. I have not read through all of the replies so I apologize if this has been brought up.

That said, I am all for a clean quick kill, which a rifle will do much better than a gun originally designed to shoot shot out of. Just don’t like the idea people walking toward other people with higher powered weapons.

Now, a guy sitting in a blind or stalking a deer with a rifle, hunting alone wearing orange to be seen and taking a well placed calm shot, I really don’t have an issue with. That will not be the case in most situations.

I personally would NOT want to walk toward a guy shooting at a deer with a .460 Smith Mag. 😯

Nor would I feel comfortable shooting at a deer with a .460 Smith Mag if I knew someone was walking in my direction.

I really don’t feel comfortable with any drivers shooting from the ground. that’s how people get killed. Most people in WI that do die was a result of people on the ground shooting when the shouldn’t be….in cornfields, marshes, thick cover etc.
    drives done right should be drivers with no guns or not loaded and people in blinds, trees or elevated. Really just common sense.

As bowfisher noted above, I personally don’t want anyone walking towards me with any weapon…

My following thought has NOTHING to do with this thread, but something that makes me angry at gun haters and all the world violence.

I’d rather get pegged with a AR than I would a SW500. With the AR they wouldn’t know the cause of death unless they saw blood. WIth a SW500 their would be a hole the size of a softball. this comment obviously has nothing to do with this topic but kind of funny how people are so scared of a AR (most think it stands for assault rifle) sounds so scary!!!! The reality is that with all the shootings around the world and I was going to be a victim and chose the weapon. I hope someone tries to kill me with a 223. you could take 3 bullets and live. you get hit with a hand gun (they don’t want to ban them cause it doesn’t sound scary)….say a SW500, it will take your head off. LOL

All kidding aside, I think Asgrow said “do you think people will flock to buy a lever action”. Don’t bet against it. When WI changed to rifles, people were camping outside of sporting goods stores waiting for the doors to open.

Participant

Ya still ain’t a man unless you’ve slugged one with a smooth barreled 870.

ETA:

What are all the guys gonna say who are crying that our herd is already decimated, since they can’t rip a slug through a timber and kill 3 at once anymore? Now that we are encouraging MORE Deer harvested, is this the end?? 😈

Participant

Quote by: speng5

…at 100 yds, running full bore while your blockers are firing back at you..

Participant

Well lets see what we are really talking about… you want to use a cartridge that can shoot and kill a deer farther than what you currently can,,and i would guess that you would want to shoot a trophy rather than a fawn?.. am i right? you bow hunters that seek a specific deer and even name them, would suffer the most, in my opinion.. the big bucks would not be around after a few years.. yes there may still be a few left ,, but you would not have the multiple opportunities that you currently have to be selective, after a few years.. the big boys would be gone… once again in my opinion.. some posters have quoted “check the balistics”… that does nothing to reveil what the shooter wants to shoot… a six pointer may become a big deer in Iowa just like they are in wisconsin.. and they have full permission to use hi powered rifles.or there equivalent,…once again think about it guys.. the reason we have trophy bucks in Iowa isn because we do not allow them to be taken with hi powered rifles or there kin.. i got my trophy on the wall,, but if this passes the good old days may be a thing of the past…we all worked very hard to get us to the current situiation and now we may be throwing it all away…

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

Well lets see what we are really talking about… you want to use a cartridge that can shoot and kill a deer farther than what you currently can,,and i would guess that you would want to shoot a trophy rather than a fawn?.. am i right? you bow hunters that seek a specific deer and even name them, would suffer the most, in my opinion.. the big bucks would not be around after a few years.. yes there may still be a few left ,, but you would not have the multiple opportunities that you currently have to be selective, after a few years.. the big boys would be gone… once again in my opinion.. some posters have quoted “check the balistics”… that does nothing to reveil what the shooter wants to shoot… a six pointer may become a big deer in Iowa just like they are in wisconsin.. and they have full permission to use hi powered rifles.or there equivalent,…once again think about it guys.. the reason we have trophy bucks in Iowa isn because we do not allow them to be taken with hi powered rifles or there kin.. i got my trophy on the wall,, but if this passes the good old days may be a thing of the past…we all worked very hard to get us to the current situiation and now we may be throwing it all away…

Perhaps valid concerns, but I’m unclear as to where the introduction of rifles and handgun cartridges leads directly to what you’re describing. I know PLENTY of “brown its down” shotgun hunters, and theyve been that way for years. You refute the ballistics and claim what “the shooter wants to shoot” is the ultimate harm. Again, maybe valid, but what does it have to do with introducing these 200 yard +/- rifles…

Participant

Lets take a look at some ballistics:

A 2 3/4″ 1oz Remington Slugger (middle ground, not top of the line supreme slug) leaves the barrel of a 12 gauge travelling at 1680 fps, with a muzzle energy of 2738 ft-lbs. At 50 yards that slug is travelling at 1285 fps and still packing 1605 fl-lbs of energy.

A 225 grain Hornady LeveRevolution FTX .44 magnum leaves a 20″ barrel at 1870 fps and packs 1747 ft-lbs of energy. At 50 yards its moving at 1629 fps while packing 1325 ft-lbs of energy.

The .44 mag is not the biggest or the baddest round out there, but it is very popular and makes for a good baseline comparison. So can anyone really compare the two and really say……”I don’t want these high powered weapons being fired at me” when the shotgun packs more energy? Let’s dispel with the myths and legends here. Straight walled rifle cartridges are not going to be earth shattering, 4 mile killing machines that everyone thinks of when you hear the trigger word “rifle”

Edited to add: When comparing rifle states to Iowa, take a look at the season dates, not just the weapons. The key to Iowa’s big deer is that we only allow archery during the prime rut.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: speng5

…at 100 yds, running full bore while your blockers are firing back at you..

And don’t question my ethics either. 60% of the time, I hit running deer 100% of the time.

Participant

Maverick makes some good points. It actually already is legal to hunt deer using these straight-walled pistol cartridges with a handgun during certain deer seasons. The only thing being proposed that is new is being able to use these calibers in a gun that has a buttstock and at least an additional 7 to 12″ of barrel length.

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

A 2 3/4″ 1oz Remington Slugger (middle ground, not top of the line supreme slug) leaves the barrel of a 12 gauge travelling at 1680 fps, with a muzzle energy of 2738 ft-lbs. At 50 yards that slug is travelling at 1285 fps and still packing 1605 fl-lbs of energy.

A 225 grain Hornady LeveRevolution FTX .44 magnum leaves a 20″ barrel at 1870 fps and packs 1747 ft-lbs of energy. At 50 yards its moving at 1629 fps while packing 1325 ft-lbs of energy.

The .44 mag is not the biggest or the baddest round out there, but it is very popular and makes for a good baseline comparison. So can anyone really compare the two and really say……”I don’t want these high powered weapons being fired at me” when the shotgun packs more energy? Let’s dispel with the myths and legends here. Straight walled rifle cartridges are not going to be earth shattering, 4 mile killing machines that everyone thinks of when you hear the trigger word “rifle”

Edited to add: When comparing rifle states to Iowa, take a look at the season dates, not just the weapons. The key to Iowa’s big deer is that we only allow archery during the prime rut.

Don’t bring facts to an internet fight…I like the story my brother’s neighbor’s 4th cousin tells about what happened in his state, it fits my theory better. 🙄

Participant

x10

“…i haven’t read all the earlier posts or the thoughtful information and facts that have been presented, however, I am against this bill on (misguided and unsupported) principle alone!”

Come on guys, some of you can do a lot better. Look at the data first and then checkity check yourself before you wreckity wreck yourself!

Longer barrel and stock do not equal high powered rifle. Gee whiz… 🙄

Participant

Don’t bring facts to an internet fight…I like the story my brother’s neighbor’s 4th cousin tells about what happened in his state, it fits my theory better. 🙄

Yeah, sorry about that. Forgot where I was for a second.

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

In anticipation of this passing, I got out for some Gun1 practice this weekend. 😈 I think I’m ready…..

Seriously, though, as long as it is kept to true PCR and no wildcats, this is a very good thing for ethical hunters in Iowa and shouldn’t really change effective ranges much at all. For the spray and pray crowd, I don’t think this will change much either. Maybe a few more rounds in the mag. But there’s studies showing that a big old shutgun slug ricochets about as bad as anything out there. If you have someone shooting in your general direction at a deer on a drive and you’re not hugging cover with whatever the round, you’re crazy. Of course, you’ve got to be crazy to actually hunt like that. DO NOT get me wrong. I think deer drives can be done safely as responsibly, and I am not at all for outlawing party hunting.

https://youtu.be/bAkFg1W07PA

Participant

i only hope that i live long enuf for all u short sightedness trophy hunters to eat your words ..but that will never happen…cant see the forrest for the trees…..gud luck bow hunters ……… ima done …

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

This is ridiuculous.

Again- this regulation WOULD NOT allow a deer to be killed farther away. It WOULD allow a bullet to be better placed.

Turning bowhunters against us with your scare tactic is pathetic. Back your statements, you can’t.

Our gun structure and method of take isn’t why we have big deer people- its because the state is one giant food plot.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.