Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Proposed law to allow pistol caliber rifles during youth, disabled, and shotgun seasons

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: Tin+Roof

Quote by: bigbuckhunter88

Quote by: Tin+Roof

Quote by: deerhunter93

It looks like I’m the minority but there is NO way on earth this will be beneficial to the quality of deer hunting we have here in Iowa. This is a small step that will allow for all rifles to be used in the future. Keeping deer hunting without rifles is what has made Iowa a great deer hunting state. This is not good at all…

What exactly will the use of rifles do to destroy the quality of deer hunting in Iowa?

First pistol cartridge rifles. In a few years they will try to allow any rifle cartridge. After that it will be rifles during the rut. Where do you draw the line once it gets started? It becomes a slippery slope. There is a reason Iowa is one of, if not the most desired whitetail tag out there. It’s because the way the DNR has set up the seasons allows the herd to reach its potential.

Good grief. We would already have shotguns during the rut if this were true. 🙄

It is probably coming. They haven’t changed the firearms regs in how long. Now once they got the ball rolling they won’t wanna stop it.

Participant

I agree with those against this. If we allow this soon we will have assault drones firing frickin lazer beams.

Run Chicken Little Run!!!

Participant

As I read it, the proposed changes would only allow the use of straight-walled pistol caliber cartridges (i.e., no bottleneck rifle cartridges such as .308 Win, .30-06 Springfield, or .30-30 Win) during the youth, disabled, and shotgun season only. Thus, the tradition of no gun seasons during the rut would continue and you also still would not be able to use a rifle during the late muzzleloader season. I think the tradition of not allowing a gun season during the rut is pretty well-ingrained in Iowa so I don’t foresee it changing anytime soon.

I am pretty sure that modern shotguns and muzzleloaders can shoot just as well, if not better, than rifles chambered in straight-walled pistol cartridges such as .357 mag, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .44 mag. The only advantage one might get from the latter is perhaps the use of higher capacity magazines. I am not even sure if this may be considered a significant advantage as there are semi-auto shotguns with extended magazines that can also carry quite a few shells. Since rifles shooting straight walled pistol calibers tend to have significantly less recoil than a shotgun shooting slugs this would make it much easier to introduce youth hunters and those who are recoil-sensitive to the sport.

Participant

I think the rifle season in southern Iowa years ago put a bad taste in people’s mouths. It wasn’t so much the rifle season itself that was detrimental as it was the timing that made it appear detrimental. Far more harmful were the years leading up to it with too many doe tags/seasons.

Also I’m not sure why it doesn’t get talked about more but PLENTY of muzzies with quality optics are every bit a 300+ gun. I also venture to throw out that crossbows either 1) are easier to get a permit for than they were years ago, or 2) more people are actively seeking said permits, because I am hearing about and seeing them more than I used to.

What I’m getting at, is if the herd is solid to begin with, and management is effective, methodology becomes less important, save for something TOTALLY goofy like a gun season during the rut.

Lastly, the theme of 2016-17 seems to be “doom and gloom,” so I’ll just assume CWD, EHD, too many doe tags and according to some, out of state party hunters will wipe out our state and what it doesnt will be mismanaged into extinction, get it while its hot, boys. I’ll be good and ready when in 7 years AR’s are deer legal for the dozen or so deer left.

Participant

Quote by: speng5

I think the rifle season in southern Iowa years ago put a bad taste in people’s mouths. It wasn’t so much the rifle season itself that was detrimental as it was the timing that made it appear detrimental. Far more harmful were the years leading up to it with too many doe tags/seasons.

Also I’m not sure why it doesn’t get talked about more but PLENTY of muzzies with quality optics are every bit a 300+ gun. I also venture to throw out that crossbows either 1) are easier to get a permit for than they were years ago, or 2) more people are actively seeking said permits, because I am hearing about and seeing them more than I used to.

What I’m getting at, is if the herd is solid to begin with, and management is effective, methodology becomes less important, save for something TOTALLY goofy like a gun season during the rut.

Lastly, the theme of 2016-17 seems to be “doom and gloom,” so I’ll just assume CWD, EHD, too many doe tags and according to some, out of state party hunters will wipe out our state and what it doesnt will be mismanaged into extinction, get it while its hot, boys. I’ll be good and ready when in 7 years AR’s are deer legal for the dozen or so deer left.

ARs will be legal this year. .50 beowolf come in the AR platform.

Participant

From what I understand the maximum effective range of the .50 Beowulf is just 200 yards or so which is basically the same or a lesser range than a well equipped shotgun shooting sabots. Is any advantage gained from hunting deer with a .50 Beowulf rather than a shotgun? Are any of the straight walled pistol calibers capable of hitting anything beyond 300 yards?

Participant

Yup, well that is one of those genuine long range cartridges….. REALLY ???? 🙄

Participant

The current proposed changes will not be the downfall of Iowa deer hunting but this will absolutely open up more changes down the road. Rarely do drastic changes happen, especially in the legislature. This will just make it much easier in a few years to add more cartridges and start tinkering with seasons.

Unfortunately I think this one is all but a done deal but I have sent emails stating my opinion.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

From what I understand the maximum effective range of the .50 Beowulf is just 200 yards or so which is basically the same or a lesser range than a well equipped shotgun shooting sabots. Is any advantage gained from hunting deer with a .50 Beowulf rather than a shotgun? Are any of the straight walled pistol calibers capable of hitting anything beyond 300 yards?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/uncategorized/whats-the-50-beowulf-good-for/

He doesnt elaborate much on hunting purposes but this author certainly has a soft spot for the round.

Also I did find this chart on another website. Only lists up to 200 but the drop there is already 11.27″ …

25 yards -1.19″
    50 yards -0.04″
    75 yards 0.38″
    100 yards 0.00″
    125 yards -1.26″
    150 yards -3.49″
    175 yards -6.80″
    200 yards -11.27″

Participant

Most pistol caliber carbines are limited by the sights that are on them. Anyone looking to gain an edge is probably already shooting a finely tuned inline or even a smokeless muzzleloader. Heck, even a TC pistol in .357 Maximum can be shot to 3 or 400 yards with some good practice.

For me, I would shoot a .44-40 carbine with a Marbles tang sight which will get me on an 8″ plate at 100 yards pretty regular. 😀 High technology for sure….

Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Yup, well that is one of those genuine long range cartridges….. REALLY ???? 🙄

You can go ahead and stop putting words in my mouth. When did I once say that these calibers are long distance killers? Not once. I mentioned I am opposed to this bill and I stated my reasons, but it wasn’t because straight walled cartridges are long distance rounds. Speng said he wanted to hunt with an AR and I told him he would be able to next year.

Participant

BBH88, not trying to put words in your mouth, You brought up the “big” 50, and I quoted you. Not real sure why the Beowulf or the AR would put an end to the King’s Deer???

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

my marlin lever 44mag isn’t nearly as accurate as my H&R ultra slug hunter, doesn’t have the knockdown and certainly doesn’t have near the range of a black powder muzzle loader. Much less the new breed of smokeless muzzleloaders I’ve seen people posting on this site and others. Those things can really reach out and touch a deer!!! And are totally legal, right?

However, I support the bill because I’m nostalgic and I don’t like paying a few bucks per shot for shooting slugs. Shooting my 44mag lever is much cheaper and I’ll practice with it much more it compared to shooting a few slugs to see if the scope is still on my slug gun. And it’s a whole lot funner to carry a lever and hunt with it.

If a guy wanted to kill a deer way out there they can do it today by building a tack driving smokeless muzzleloader. I don’t see people screaming and calling their congressmen to make smokeless muzzleloaders illegal? Is it because they’re “traditional”? What part of a smokeless muzzleloader is traditional???

As far making a 44mag legal leading to a 30-06 or 300 win mag being legal, well, I can see the logic in the argument and it’s used all the time. When the speed limit was raised from 55mph to 65mph there was a ton of people screaming that it will be a slippery slope and speeds will continue to increase and deaths will sky rocket. Well, here we are what 20-25 years now (or more????) and the speeds are up to 70 on the interstates? The topic keeps coming up but there’s a balance between what people want and safety, and you’ll hit that point in the cartridge discussion as well. So I don’t see it as a slippery slope, I won’t be out in the woods with my .270 in three years or something, but a topic that will continue to come up every year like it does now and might move a little very slowly.

Regardless of the outcome on this, as long as farming practices keep the dozers fueled up and knocking down trees (saw another 160 acres I use to hunt get leveled this winter, not a tree on it…) the deer herd will be losing habitat and that will catch up to the quality of the herd and have a more drastic effect than the gun used to shoot the deer with. So instead of fighting each other it would be nice to have us fight together and make progress on something that’ll have a large effect on the deer herd. my two cents… 😉

Participant

Quote by: scruffy

my marlin lever 44mag isn’t nearly as accurate as my H&R ultra slug hunter, doesn’t have the knockdown and certainly doesn’t have near the range of a black powder muzzle loader. Much less the new breed of smokeless muzzleloaders I’ve seen people posting on this site and others. Those things can really reach out and touch a deer!!! And are totally legal, right?

However, I support the bill because I’m nostalgic and I don’t like paying a few bucks per shot for shooting slugs. Shooting my 44mag lever is much cheaper and I’ll practice with it much more it compared to shooting a few slugs to see if the scope is still on my slug gun. And it’s a whole lot funner to carry a lever and hunt with it.

If a guy wanted to kill a deer way out there they can do it today by building a tack driving smokeless muzzleloader. I don’t see people screaming and calling their congressmen to make smokeless muzzleloaders illegal? Is it because they’re “traditional”? What part of a smokeless muzzleloader is traditional???

As far making a 44mag legal leading to a 30-06 or 300 win mag being legal, well, I can see the logic in the argument and it’s used all the time. When the speed limit was raised from 55mph to 65mph there was a ton of people screaming that it will be a slippery slope and speeds will continue to increase and deaths will sky rocket. Well, here we are what 20-25 years now (or more????) and the speeds are up to 70 on the interstates? The topic keeps coming up but there’s a balance between what people want and safety, and you’ll hit that point in the cartridge discussion as well. So I don’t see it as a slippery slope, I won’t be out in the woods with my .270 in three years or something, but a topic that will continue to come up every year like it does now and might move a little very slowly.

Regardless of the outcome on this, as long as farming practices keep the dozers fueled up and knocking down trees (saw another 160 acres I use to hunt get leveled this winter, not a tree on it…) the deer herd will be losing habitat and that will catch up to the quality of the herd and have a more drastic effect than the gun used to shoot the deer with. So instead of fighting each other it would be nice to have us fight together and make progress on something that’ll have a large effect on the deer herd. my two cents… 😉

Good post. While I build custom MZ’s that can shoot a long ways out, most deer in Iowa (my customers included) are killed 200 yards on in. I’m not saying the 300 yard harvest never happens, but for the most part, it doesn’t happen with the big boys. They hug cover and just don’t present as many opportunities as you would think even when you have the capability to reach out there.

Participant

There is another aspect of this, some of these pistol rounds are minimal in the amount of power that they have to cleanly take a deer at traditional handgun ranges. Now in a rifle platform the ranges that shots will be taken will be extended. How much energy does a .45ACP have at 100yds? That’s a different question than can you hit a deer that far away. Pistol calibers at pistol ranges, rifle calibers at rifle ranges. It’s a bad idea to use minimal power pistol cartridges in a rifle at rifle ranges. there will be a lot of wounded lost deer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.