Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Proposed law to allow pistol caliber rifles during youth, disabled, and shotgun seasons

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Then again something in 460 S&W would be really interesting. A Big Horn Armoury Model 90 would probably fit in my stocking if Santa wanted to drop it off! I would settle for a TC in 460S&W :mrgreen:

Participant

Having killed a couple deer with .45 acp I would say hit them early and often. Doable but not optimal, though with rifle length barrel may be a bit better.

I would be all for this law though, have several options I’d love to try!

Participant

Here’s what I’m using. A 45-70 and my 44 magnum should do fine.

Participant

So the way I see it anyone hunting is allowed to use a straight wall rifle resodent or non resident? Reason I ask is I’m a non resident that muzzleloader hunts but would love to take my 1895 abl 45/70 out during shotgun season.

Participant

I’ll be humping my trusty sharps if this passes!!!!

Participant

Quote by: Zebtheslayer

I’ll be humping my trusty sharps if this passes!!!!

Heck, yes, with a compressed load of 3F and a 457125…. BOOM 😀

Participant

So who do we contact to get this through? The one thing I’ve always disliked about Iowa gun seasons is half the fun, the GUN.

Participant

It looks like I’m the minority but there is NO way on earth this will be beneficial to the quality of deer hunting we have here in Iowa. This is a small step that will allow for all rifles to be used in the future. Keeping deer hunting without rifles is what has made Iowa a great deer hunting state. This is not good at all…

Participant

Quote by: deerhunter93

It looks like I’m the minority but there is NO way on earth this will be beneficial to the quality of deer hunting we have here in Iowa. This is a small step that will allow for all rifles to be used in the future. Keeping deer hunting without rifles is what has made Iowa a great deer hunting state. This is not good at all…

What exactly will the use of rifles do to destroy the quality of deer hunting in Iowa?

Participant

Quote by: Tin+Roof

What exactly will the use of rifles do to destroy the quality of deer hunting in Iowa?

Because a shotgun is at most a 200 yard gun and muzzle loader at most 300. Now you change our gun season into a rifle season and a you can drop bucks at 500 yards plus and not be limited to a single shot. Personally my group would have about 15x as many mounts on the wall if we were toting 308s and aught 6s instead of 12 and 20 gauges.

It’ll really ruin the hunting up in North iowa. Every section is open and broke down into 1 mile sections. There will be a ton of guys just driving back roads with a spotting scope and quality high power. No buck that is bedded out in a terrace or fence line will be safe.

Participant

Quote by: trout+killer

Because a shotgun is at most a 200 yard gun and muzzle loader at most 300. Now you change our gun season into a rifle season and a you can drop bucks at 500 yards plus and not be limited to a single shot. Personally my group would have about 15x as many mounts on the wall if we were toting 308s and aught 6s instead of 12 and 20 gauges.

It’ll really ruin the hunting up in North iowa. Every section is open and broke down into 1 mile sections. There will be a ton of guys just driving back roads with a spotting scope and quality high power. No buck that is bedded out in a terrace or fence line will be safe.

I don’t know how many mounts you have now, so I’m not sure how many 15x would be. But, are you saying the ONLY thing keeping you guys from shooting every deer in the area is them being 2-300 yards out of range? I don’t believe that. Also, all these guys you say are going to be driving around shooting all the big bucks off terraces, will they have permission on all these properties?
    I can’t see this doing any more damage to deer hunting in Iowa than the current “brown it’s down” deer drive mentality already does.

Participant

First pistol cartridge rifles. In a few years they will try to allow any rifle cartridge. After that it will be rifles during the rut. Where do you draw the line once it gets started? It becomes a slippery slope. There is a reason Iowa is one of, if not the most desired whitetail tag out there. It’s because the way the DNR has set up the seasons allows the herd to reach its potential.

Participant

The Rut will always belong to bowhunters. There are enough bowhunters to ensure that.

I also believe that the state is too flat to allow “high power” bottleneck cartridges.

Participant

Funny, nobody cried about a slippery slope when you were allowed to put training wheels on your bows. 😀

Participant

Quote by: bigbuckhunter88

First pistol cartridge rifles. In a few years they will try to allow any rifle cartridge. After that it will be rifles during the rut. Where do you draw the line once it gets started? It becomes a slippery slope. There is a reason Iowa is one of, if not the most desired whitetail tag out there. It’s because the way the DNR has set up the seasons allows the herd to reach its potential.

Good grief. We would already have shotguns during the rut if this were true. 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.