Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Predictions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My guess is late November. This current cool weather is giving me the itch..

Participant

Most of the water in NW Iowa bottomed out in mid to upper 40s this morning.

Participant

Bump to top

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Mine is a month later.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant
    Participant

The weather has been cool. The forecast is even cooler. I’d be surprised if there was no safe ice in Iowa before Thanksgiving. This is the coolest pheasant opener that I can remember.

Participant

the 15 day forecast for my area is not promising, lows in the upper 20’s-low 30s. My guess is safe ice the first day of Second shotgun season.

Participant

I cant remember the last time I duck hunted the south zone and had to break more than skim ice in October. But such was my weekend just now. Some of the thickest spots on the pond maybe were approaching 3/8″. Definitely enough that my shins are screaming today and retrieving cripples was awful 👿

I say early December north of 80 will have fishable ice. Prob sooner north of 20.

Participant

Quote by: speng5

I cant remember the last time I duck hunted the south zone and had to break more than skim ice in October. But such was my weekend just now. Some of the thickest spots on the pond maybe were approaching 3/8″. Definitely enough that my shins are screaming today and retrieving cripples was awful 👿

I say early December north of 80 will have fishable ice. Prob sooner north of 20.

Breaking ice sucks! I used to have a roofing shovel that I cut the handle in about half for cutting ice then sliding it under the outside of the hole.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Breaking ice sucks! I used to have a roofing shovel that I cut the handle in about half for cutting ice then sliding it under the outside of the hole.

Stupid me didn’t give the night time lows enough thought, I showed up with zero tools to break ice (expecting MAYBE some skim ice) and didn’t even have water proof gloves. Was stuck with just my shins, fists, and a stick that broke a little shorter about every 5th whack. I am definitely showing up prepared next time.

Participant

Stupid me didn’t give the night time lows enough thought, I showed up with zero tools to break ice (expecting MAYBE some skim ice) and didn’t even have water proof gloves. Was stuck with just my shins, fists, and a stick that broke a little shorter about every 5th whack. I am definitely showing up prepared next time.

Yesterday I waded out in the pond, which had more water in it than I had anticipated, and my gloves were in my wader hand pouch so I didnt have gloves

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

I hope you guys are right about early December ice, but I’m guessing Christmas.

Participant

In MN on the north side of the metro area I am betting I am out 2nd weekend in Dec. Will be walkable ice by thanksgiving, likely wont be out that early though

Participant

Dec 1st

Participant

That is about what I’m thinking. Over the years thanksgiving weekend is better than 50-50. Not main lakes but bays and ponds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.