Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Power trim…goes down, won’t go up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Any ideas where to start folks? It’s a ’90 Johnson 140 hp, if that helps. Thanks in advance. 😉

-Munchy

bustinbeaks
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’d start with electrical, switches and relays are easy to check.

Fish34
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My guess is there is two relays, with one failed. I had a 50 HP Mercury that had two relays, one for power trim up and one for power trim down. When I had a simiilar failure, I just swapped the relays and was able to reposition the motor (till I got a new relay). See if you can locate the relays and swap them.

Let use know how it works out.

FISH

h-man64
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yup, it’s likely the relays. Should be an easy and cheap fix. I had the same problem with my Mariner 50.

Bluegill Mike
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yup, had this happen to my relay on my Mercruiser I/O, hope yours can be found in an easier to reach location than mine, was dang hard to install in a little covey hole.

nitro
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Had something similar on my 98 merc 115. Mine went up and wouldn’t come down. Turned out to be a wiring harness. The thing looked like a pile spaghetti but, when it got replaced everything worked.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yep like others have said, there are 2 relays (1 for up and 1 for down) under the motor cover. We had this happen on our “78” Johnson 85 hp motor. To get by until we got home we just switched them back and forth. Now on our motor they are located on the back of the motor at the top, 1 on the leftside and 1 on the rightside. They are 1″ x 1″ square and about 1 1/4″ tall and black and hang upside down. When we got home I took the bad one to NAPA and he had one. I think it was around $23. Went home and tried it and that did the trick so I called and had him get me another one and now have the old one that was still good for a spare.

brittlab
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I hope it’s simple fix Rod. How was the bite yesterday?

TBBUCS
    Participant
    Up
    Down

my guess is the tilt limit switch.just had the same problem with my 98 115 johnson.

bowfisher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Rod, relay probably……..

Pat

tbones00
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It could just be a weak battery. check the voltage first. I had this happen turned out just a weak battery.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.