Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing Port Clinton, Ohio Pigs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just got back from Port Clinton, Ohio on our annual walleye trip. This was our 3rd trip, we used other charters in the past and we’ve always got our limits before noon. They do a great job at what they do, but we we were coming to Lake Erie for the wall hangers we’ve always heard about. Last year we met Captain George Uhl from Playin’ Hooky, we were at the Wild Wings bar bragging up our limits we achieved before noon (we had 5 guys with limits and 66lbs of fish), George says that’s impressive and all but they caught 9 fish that weigh over 110lbs. I said your bullsh#tting me, he showed me pics and videos and I immediately asked for his business card and liked his facebook page. Needless to say, I booked a trip in April with Playin Hooky for a chance at some wall mounters.

Now comes April 2017, we are 8 hours into driving, just about to Chicago and George calls, he says have you been watching the weather, it’s going to be 46 mph winds for the next two days. Friday is completely out. Saturday we can probably get on the water but it will be a complete mudhole. I can’t guarantee you anything, it might just be a $500 boat ride if you want to do it anyway, I’m just warning you it will be tough fishing. We stopped at McD’s for breakfast to talk it over, we figured we were this far and already had the condo rented, WTH, lets do it.

On Friday we tried our hand at the Maumee River Walleye run since we couldn’t get on the lake. It was windy and the river was 7ft higher than it should be traveling at 21 mph, it was a bust, still cool though. Seen a dude close to us pull in a 27″ but catching was tough that day. They say that during the Maumee River Walleye run the walleyes are so stacked up that you about snag one each cast (which is illegal to keep if you snag) but that isn’t the case during a flood.

Talked to George at the Wild Wings bar later that night, he said it’s a mudpit out there, lets wait till 12:30 PM tomorrow to see if it settles a bit. We got out at 12:30PM, tried jigging for a bit, water visibility was about an inch, we were by all the other charters at that point, we seen no net movement, it was a tough go there. After about an a hour, George says let’s try another spot. We went 7 miiles out, put a bandit (reef runner) in the water, seen about 4″-6″ visibility, George says that should work, we rigged up 8 bandits (custom reef runners he paints) and we were off. On the first run, we nailed 3 monster pigs, at that point we thought we would limit out on them. The wind changed again and we had a bit of a lull, about 3 hours later I nailed my 2nd pig. In a matter of 4 or so hours, we landed 4 walll hangers in horrible water/weather conditions. Imagine catching Lake Erie on a good weekend with Captain George. Check out Playin’ Hooky’s facebook page, give him a call –

https://www.facebook.com/Playin-Hooky-Sportfishing-Capt-George-J-Uhl-III-620382618098605/

First 10lb hog

Seth pulled in a 30″ 13lber -just a monster

Ryan pulled in a 31″ next

George’s custom bandit, I think he called it purple muffin

Trolling in Style

triple trophy shot

2nd pig of the day

Maumee River Wallleye Run

Participant

I was in the same area same time what a shitty week we did terrible jigging and got 3 pigs trolling is all we fished the D can area I see davis bessie in the background we were definately in the same area crazy how that lake can switch in a second we went to turtle island tuesday and were in 5-7 footers on the way in NOT FUN!

Participant

that looks like a blast! so what does this cost a fella to run out there from iowa and fish?

Blake BassMasterBlake BassMaster
    Participant

Quote by: LONESUMGUS

that looks like a blast! so what does this cost a fella to run out there from iowa and fish?

It cost $500 a day for the charter which is not a bad deal when you split it up between your buddies. It sure beats pulling your own boat through a place like Chicago. Plus you need to be on a big boat to handle the weather up there. It’s a huge lake, it takes you 12 hours to get there. It’s well worth having a captain to put you on the fish. We stayed in a VRBO Condo which was $200 a night. I think Captain George bought an RV that he rents $125. You’ll have your gas and food expense as well but getting a chance to pull out trophies like that makes it all worth it.

Participant

I’m leaving for 6 days worth of fishing to Put-In-Bay on Friday. This will be my first time fishing Lake Erie and hope it’s a good one!

FF

Participant

Quote by: fastfreddy

I’m leaving for 6 days worth of fishing to Put-In-Bay on Friday. This will be my first time fishing Lake Erie and hope it’s a good one!

FF

Your gonna hit it PERFECT!!! i’d bet you head west but it’s gonna be on

Participant

FF

Good luck!!

Participant

FF

I bet I am the five days after you! I will be there April 29th thru may 5th. Lets hope the new boat gets done.

Participant

Hey just out of curiosity…..I see you were running all line counter reels….How many feet of line would you let out before you would put the planer board on the line?

Thanks,

FF

Participant

Hey just out of curiosity…..I see you were running all line counter reels….How many feet of line would you let out before you would put the planer board on the line?

Thanks,

FF

We staggered it, maybe 75′ for the farthest and 45′ the closest, I’m not positive though, I wasn’t letting the line out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.