Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum POND PROWLER

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Planning on 3 hp motor for my pond prowler. It is only 10 feet and all plastic. My question is honda makes 2.3 hp motor and mercury has little 3 hp motor. I think there is Tohatsu motor out there tool.

Anybody have any experience with these little motors. If I am going to spend 800 to 900 dollars looking for input. Thanks, Robert

Participant

Have you thought about a 12V or 24V trolling motor instead of the gasser? If the prowler is only 10′ long, a 55 pound thrust troller would push or pull you at a very good clip and save you some money.

Participant

True, but the little motors are quiet and I could go all day without draining the battery. Other thought is the little motors have the gas tank right in the top; so no battery in the boat. Just not sure what motor would be good. Thanks, for the input, cuz maybe it would be just fine with a minn kota 55lb. Just not sure how long the 12 v battery would keep me on the water if I am trolling around. robbie

Participant

I have not had much luck with the small (less than 5hp) motors. The ones I have had were all very temperamental. If your set on a gas, I would look at the 9.9hp options. I too think the electric might be worth a serious look. I know my 55lb MK will troll my 14′ V most if not the whole day on one battery, and with Ipilot it is awesome.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

I have had one of these boats for nearly 25 years and the TM is more than enough power. 12V, 40 will move that boat as fast as you want. I have a transom mount but turned the head around, so it pulls the boat instead of pushes it. Much easier to control. The only time I have had any issue was when I needed to replace a battery. Otherwise it will run all day. I even mounted a bracket on the side of the TM for a cheap fish finder and put the transducer on the bottom of the TM. Then it all comes off when I remove the TM. Maybe if you are trying to pull plugs into a wind it might run down LOL 😀
    Just my 2 cents…

Participant

I have had one of these boats for nearly 25 years and the TM is more than enough power. 12V, 40 will move that boat as fast as you want. I have a transom mount but turned the head around, so it pulls the boat instead of pushes it. Much easier to control. The only time I have had any issue was when I needed to replace a battery. Otherwise it will run all day. I even mounted a bracket on the side of the TM for a cheap fish finder and put the transducer on the bottom of the TM. Then it all comes off when I remove the TM. Maybe if you are trying to pull plugs into a wind it might run down LOL Big Grin
    Just my 2 cents…

x2

If you can rig backwards that is ideal. Pulling a boat vs. pushing provides much greater control when working pond weedlines, dropoffs, and structure. I have a 12v MK 55 thrust that I can get a half day out of pushing a heavy 14′ jon boat around. A 40, 50, or 55 should put your 10′ prowler on plane and last all day. :mrgreen:

Participant

If you fish and “trolling motor only” lakes would be my one concern. Also starting motor every time you move. I had a little pond boat. My bigger problem than battery life, was the lowest speed setting was too fast. Think I only charged the battery every 3 or 4 times I went out.

Participant

I have a 10 footer. It is fiberglass and is 15-20 years old. All I have used is a trolling motor. It works really well. I purchased a battery ever 4 years or so. Never really had much of a problem with the battery draining. Seems to hold up really well. If you had it on all day, probably wouldn’t hold up well.

I actually went as far as to buy a $125 Lowrance fish finder for mine. Made it to be a really nice little rig.

Note” my boat is really light weight, not sure prowler weight.

Participant

If you are set on a gas motor may want to look at an old 3hp Johnson. It will only have forward gear – no neutral or reverse. It will be started in gear! I use mine on a good sized canoe and like that it only weighs 32#, which is less than the battery would weigh. Not an ideal setup, but light weight. Moves my canoe around 6mph. Most trolling motors max out around 5mph.

Participant

Not sure how big your pond is, but they make these wooden sticks with flat ends that move you around when they are pushed through just beneath the surface of the water.

:mrgreen:

I would think almost any modern electric motor would suffice as has been stated before.

Participant

🙂 Thank you to all the members that have chimed in. I think going with Minn Kota trolling motor is the way to go. Do not like the idea of putting heavy battery in pond prowler, but gotta suck it up . Thanks for the suggestion of reversing the trolling motor and doing some back trolling. Watched You tube video and turning the head on the Minn Kota should be very easy and accomplish this task. Much easier to back troll and catch wallyeye than push the prowler. So, thanks again and will give it try when the hard water season is over and we all have open water days. Still enjoying the hard water season. Robbie.

Participant

One thing I would add. If you decide to front mount the Minn Kota, it would make sense to put the battery in the back. That way there is more weight there. I think the prowler is wired for that already?

Participant

I put reflector shields in the front to keep the water from coming over the front. Mybo pond prowler is 8 ft, 50 b minn kota in front and 2.5 hp Yamaha 4 stroke in back. A whole lot of fish have been boated with this fishing machine

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

The only downside I can think of is if the pond mosses up bad in the summer the electric might have a problem. A friend of mine owns a 4 acre pond and his electric couldn’t do it . He bought a 3 or 5 hp Mercury gas motor with the tank on top and it can handle it. Since then he’s installed 6 aerators and the moss problem is taken care of now.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.