Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I just got back from a week of fishing in Minnesota. I was thinking about trying to pickle some northern. Does anyone have a good recipie?

livetofish
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just use google and pick whatever looks simple. Most of my pickled foods have turned out similar, and were eaten quickly. For pike though, we filleted off the good meat, removing the Y bones, and just pickled the Y bones. Figured that we get the sweet tasting pike, and the pickled version as well!!!!

Madison COunty
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: livetofish

I just use google and pick whatever looks simple. Most of my pickled foods have turned out similar, and were eaten quickly. For pike though, we filleted off the good meat, removing the Y bones, and just pickled the Y bones. Figured that we get the sweet tasting pike, and the pickled version as well!!!!

I usually just look on google also but wasn’t sure if someone had a awesome recipie. I took out the y bones already. I love to eat northern just as much as walleye but thought maybe I should try pickling a little.

speng5
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you run a search on here, you can find a few recipes. I found one last year and printed it out in the spring when I was getting into some northerns on the river. If memory serves it may have been LenH (guy from the trout forum) who put out the recipe I used last time. Whoever posted it, it was very good!

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just go to search above and search pickled fish. Several there.

https://iowasportsman.com/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=32&showtopic=709978

Finns
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: kenhump

Thanks Ken; I was going to look up my earlier post but “there you go” you had it! Thanks.

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Finns

Quote by: kenhump

Thanks Ken; I was going to look up my earlier post but “there you go” you had it! Thanks.

Excellent way to ‘use’ hammer handles. :mrgreen:

TrapCyclone
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have never tried pickled fish myself, but definitely need to try it sometime. Why is this recipe popular with northern pike? Is it because of the y-bones?

Stickman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I have never tried pickled fish myself, but definitely need to try it sometime. Why is this recipe popular with northern pike? Is it because of the y-bones?

Part of it is because the Y-bone will dissolve when you pickle it, but more because of the texture of the meat and you can get alot of meat off a northern to make a good sized batch. Pickled perch is also excellent. I tried pickled blue gills one time and did not like it at all. The meat turned out kinda slimy while perch and northern just has a better texture.

Edit: always wondered about pickled musky. Anyone tried that? 😉

gene
    Participant
    Up
    Down

What in the solution dissolves the bones???

stevenoak
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: gene

What in the solution dissolves the bones???

I’d guess acid in the vinegar.

DILLIGAF
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Message Live4fall. He’s got a really good recipe.

Madison COunty
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Do most people make it in a half gallon jar? I don’t see an advantage of using smaller jars unless you are giving/sharing with other people.

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In my experience, smaller pike and short nosed gar can be tasty. The bigger the fish, the tougher it is for dissolving bones. I’ve eaten pickled suckerer that was very good.

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In my experience, smaller pike and short nosed gar can be tasty. The bigger the fish, the tougher it is for dissolving bones. I’ve eaten pickled suckerer that was very good.

Wallyman
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sheepshead are a great fish to pickle. Keep the top part of the fillet and piclkle em up. One of my faves pickled. I also have tried pickled flathead, very good and pickled crappie, very good. The latter were only pickled because I forgot they were in the freezer and didn’t want to waste them. Pickling them worked. Here’s an In-Fisherman article with a recipe and instructions.
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/recipes/pickled-fish-recipe

Madison COunty
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: DILLIGAF

Message Live4fall. He’s got a really good recipe.

I would love that recipe! My wife is going this year again so I will be bringing home twice as much fish…..yes! Anyone fish lake Winnibigoshish lately?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.